U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2013, 05:22 PM

231 posts, read 251,882 times

Advertisements

I'm a recent college graduate. I have an interview next week for a 10/hr "cash counting" position. I'm kind of worried that If I take the job it will set me farther back from finding a position in my field. I understand that the farther you get from graduation, the more difficult it becomes to find employment in your field.

I'm living at my parents right now, so I'm not desperate for money (I am however desperate to move out).

It's a full time job so It would put my GIS job search on hold.... In addition, I'm sure I'd have to stay at this job for at least 6-10 months to be in good standing.

If I happen to get offered the job should I take it and not think twice? Or should I consider rejecting it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 05:24 PM

955 posts, read 1,933,986 times
Can you do it part-time so you get some experience but at the same time have time to look for other jobs and interview?

Old 08-04-2013, 05:30 PM

231 posts, read 251,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
Can you do it part-time so you get some experience but at the same time have time to look for other jobs and interview?
I'm pretty sure it's a 9-5 Monday through Friday kind of job.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:37 PM

12,680 posts, read 15,126,196 times
Use this job to obtain experience, while looking for jobs in your field. If you need to interview during business hours, try and see if the prospective company will "phone screen" first. Proceed with an "in-person" interview, only if the position appears to be a good fit.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:25 PM

3,271 posts, read 3,015,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewC7 View Post
I'm a recent college graduate. I have an interview next week for a 10/hr "cash counting" position. I'm kind of worried that If I take the job it will set me farther back from finding a position in my field. I understand that the farther you get from graduation, the more difficult it becomes to find employment in your field.

I'm living at my parents right now, so I'm not desperate for money (I am however desperate to move out).

It's a full time job so It would put my GIS job search on hold.... In addition, I'm sure I'd have to stay at this job for at least 6-10 months to be in good standing.

If I happen to get offered the job should I take it and not think twice? Or should I consider rejecting it?
You're right about the difficulty increasing as you get further from graduation, however the same amount of time out will do far more damage to your prospects if you are unemployed than if you are employed. Having a job -- [almost] any job -- will look good to a hiring manager.

Go to the interview, take the job if you get it, and keep looking for an entry level GIS position after work.

No one in your field will blame you for leaving what you are describing once you get an in-field offer (just make sure you stick around for a while if/once you do get that). Further, at $10 an hour for a college graduate the people interviewing with you don't expect you to stay around for a long while either -- they expect you to learn quickly, not make too many counting mistakes, show up to work on time, act and dress professionally, and never, ever steal. Be honest with them, the honesty will make you look good (since the number one priority they are going to be concerned about is the last point) and the worst that can happen is you don't get a relatively boring $10/hour job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or