U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-05-2013, 11:07 AM
 
17,004 posts, read 20,745,486 times
Reputation: 34000

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWantsToKnowWhy View Post
My interview went great ..she ended it by saying she wish I could have started training with the class that was already in session. This will be their last week and then a new training class starts immediately. I'm just waiting for my background check to clear. My interview was Wednesday.

Well that sounds very good.

But as HokieFan said it has only been two full business days.

It sounds like the training classes are often, when you say a new training class is starting do you know what date? Did she say she was hoping to get you in the next class?

I mean does the next class start next Monday? How many weeks is the training?

I would hold off calling at this point, you need to give them more time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-05-2013, 11:34 AM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,446,723 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
It would annoy me, to be honest. If I'm interested and want to hire you, it's not going to slip my mind.

Would a email and voicemail be less annoying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2013, 12:17 PM
 
12 posts, read 60,712 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
What's the extent of the background check? Just generally checking your references, or a criminal background check?
During the interview I asked what all would be checked during the background check and she told me she has no idea.. They send it to a third party and if an error turns up I will receive the info the mail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2013, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Northern Virginia
5,108 posts, read 5,428,234 times
Reputation: 12632
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Would a email and voicemail be less annoying?
No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2013, 12:20 PM
 
12 posts, read 60,712 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well that sounds very good.

But as HokieFan said it has only been two full business days.

It sounds like the training classes are often, when you say a new training class is starting do you know what date? Did she say she was hoping to get you in the next class?

I mean does the next class start next Monday? How many weeks is the training?

I would hold off calling at this point, you need to give them more time.
..training last 3 weeks and she didn't give a set date she just said that they are trying to start the next class immediately ..and yes, she did mention that she wants me to start with the next training class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2013, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Northern Virginia
5,108 posts, read 5,428,234 times
Reputation: 12632
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWantsToKnowWhy View Post
During the interview I asked what all would be checked during the background check and she told me she has no idea.. They send it to a third party and if an error turns up I will receive the info the mail.
If a third party is conducting the background check, this could take some time. I would give it 7-10 business days before reaching out.

But don't quit looking and interviewing for jobs - keep your options open! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2013, 12:30 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,446,723 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
If a third party is conducting the background check, this could take some time. I would give it 7-10 business days before reaching out.

But don't quit looking and interviewing for jobs - keep your options open! Good luck!

When you are close to getting a job you want it's hard to start looking for something else
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2013, 01:11 PM
 
7,422 posts, read 13,745,169 times
Reputation: 4944
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
When you are close to getting a job you want it's hard to start looking for something else
too bad. you still have to do it. i got a call for an interview the other day and i told them i had already accepted an offer. the guy said "that was fast!" so out of curiosity i checked the date i applied and it was the day i was offered my current job. if i hadn't gotten it, i would have been happy to get that interview!

it's also hard to eat your green beans when you really just want ice cream but adults have to do the harder thing sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2013, 01:16 PM
 
7,422 posts, read 13,745,169 times
Reputation: 4944
oh and to the OP - just be patient. remember that time is moving about 100x slower for you right now than it is for them, and they have things to do at their job other than making a decision about hiring you. plus if they're waiting for a third party background check, they may not have any control over how long that takes.

i'd say if you haven't heard back by a week from wednesday, and you REALLY can't stand it, send them a short and polite e-mail checking in and asking if they have any idea of what their timeline is for making a decision. just one. if they don't reply, leave it.

did you send a thank you/follow up e-mail after the interview, thanking for their time and saying a little about what you learned at the interview and why it makes you want to work there and/or makes you think you'll be a great fit? if you haven't, you can do that. but don't ask for or expect a reply to that.

it certainly sounds like your chances are very good, and hassling them about it isn't going to make your background check, etc move any faster. it's hard but you just have to wait right now. good luck, i hope you get it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2013, 01:22 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,060 posts, read 4,222,710 times
Reputation: 1511
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
too bad. you still have to do it. i got a call for an interview the other day and i told them i had already accepted an offer. the guy said "that was fast!" so out of curiosity i checked the date i applied and it was the day i was offered my current job. if i hadn't gotten it, i would have been happy to get that interview!

it's also hard to eat your green beans when you really just want ice cream but adults have to do the harder thing sometimes.
I would strongly agree to never miss an opportunity to interview at a new place, even though you may be expecting an offer soon (or already have an offer). If the hiring manager or recruiter asks, you can be very honest and suggest that you are actively interviewing. It will allow them the opportunity to expedite, if they like you. Everyone understands that good candidates are hard to find and every other firm is looking for one.

Not too long ago, I interviewed for a position (at Firm B) while at the same time I was in advanced stage of negotiating a job offer at a place I really liked (Firm A). I ended up getting an offer from Firm B and the job profile was too good to pass. I ended up taking the job and turned down Firm A AFTER having negotiated the salary & benefits and agreed to a Start Date. Needless to say, the recruiter at Firm A wasn't too happy but I had to remind myself that my career is my choice and I have the right to be selfish about my career growth and options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top