Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 01:25 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
too bad. you still have to do it. i got a call for an interview the other day and i told them i had already accepted an offer. the guy said "that was fast!" so out of curiosity i checked the date i applied and it was the day i was offered my current job. if i hadn't gotten it, i would have been happy to get that interview!

it's also hard to eat your green beans when you really just want ice cream but adults have to do the harder thing sometimes.

It's obvious I am not the only one who feels that way which is why the OP started the thread. Who wants to start a new search and go through the all the hiring steps all over again when they haven't been rejected yet?

Now you can still accept interview invites but the actual job search is on HOLD while you wait to hear a answer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 01:28 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,116,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
It's obvious I am not the only one who feels that way which is why the OP started the thread. Who wants to start a new search and go through the all the hiring steps all over again when they haven't been rejected yet?

Now you can still accept interview invites but the actual job search is on HOLD while you wait to hear a answer

Old 08-05-2013, 01:30 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,185,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWantsToKnowWhy View Post
...it's been almost a week and its nerve wracking for me -_-
I have never called a Manager to follow-up and as a hiring manager myself, I would never like someone to call me and put me on the spot. When I am hiring, I go through a lot of resumes and interviews and wouldn't necessarily remember facts about each one or even the shortlisted candidates.

As in your case, if they are already doing a background check, just wait for another 3-5 days. And if you do need to follow-up, do so with the recruiter/HR partner, not with the hiring manager. The hiring manager may honestly not even know the status of your background checks; it is the recruiter who would be more updated on the status.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:32 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,668,801 times
Quote:

i don't think the OP said anything about putting her job search on hold. she's just getting impatient about hearing back and wants to do something about it (unfortunately, what i hope she learned from the sensible people in this thread is that she really can't).

i waited anxiously to hear about this job (and many others) just like anyone else but i also KEPT APPLYING TO MORE JOBS. i was probably waiting to hear about at least one interview when i applied for the job i have now. i mean, i had an interview at least once every couple of weeks for many months. holding my breath waiting to hear back from every one (or even every one that seemed to go well) would have been idiotic. actually there's at least one place i still haven't heard back from, although at this point of course i am not expecting to ever hear back. in any case, i am very glad that i applied to jobs at the rate that i did, because i got a great job in the end.

you act like it's impossible to do anything you don't want to do. well, if you want to make a stupid decision that hurts your chances of getting a job, that's your right, but it's not impossible to make the right one.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:47 PM

12,103 posts, read 23,259,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
It would annoy me, to be honest. If I'm interested and want to hire you, it's not going to slip my mind.

I agree with you.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:48 PM

12 posts, read 65,116 times
Thanks for all of your opinions ! Actually the lady who interviewed me called me today ..they haven't gotten the background check back but they need me to come in to work on my typing accuracy. I'm at 86 when the hiring limit is 91 ..my fingers are still crossed for this bg check though ..the job market is horrible and this is an office job I really need this..

Old 08-05-2013, 01:52 PM

12 posts, read 65,116 times
And no I have not put my job search on hold ..this is just the one my fingers are crossed for

Old 08-05-2013, 02:03 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,741,810 times
Quote:

This would be a foolish course of action, IMO. Any of the following could happen:

- you receive a job offer, but the salary is unacceptable low
- the job offer is rescinded based on background check/the VP's nephew needs a job so he gets it instead
- the company suddenly undergoes a hiring freeze
- the company experiences an internal re-org and all hiring is temporarily frozen
- the project you were hoping to be hired to work on is cancelled
- you receive a more lucrative offer from another company
- something about the job offer is a red flag

I just don't think it's worth missing an opportunity (by not applying to a job you're interested in) because you suspect a job offer is imminent. Several years ago, I accepted a verbal job offer, and was waiting on the formal/written offer, which was going to be Fed Ex'd to me. The following day, I received a rejection letter. To this day, I don't know what happened, but presumably, since I'd cleared my background check already, someone higher-up the food chain decided they wanted a different candidate or else the job itself disappeared. It's a good thing I hadn't told the other hiring managers/HR folks I was dealing with, at other companies, that I was no longer available. I had a backup offer in the wings.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:27 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
This would be a foolish course of action, IMO. Any of the following could happen:

- you receive a job offer, but the salary is unacceptable low
- the job offer is rescinded based on background check/the VP's nephew needs a job so he gets it instead
- the company suddenly undergoes a hiring freeze
- the company experiences an internal re-org and all hiring is temporarily frozen
- the project you were hoping to be hired to work on is cancelled
- you receive a more lucrative offer from another company
- something about the job offer is a red flag

I just don't think it's worth missing an opportunity (by not applying to a job you're interested in) because you suspect a job offer is imminent. Several years ago, I accepted a verbal job offer, and was waiting on the formal/written offer, which was going to be Fed Ex'd to me. The following day, I received a rejection letter. To this day, I don't know what happened, but presumably, since I'd cleared my background check already, someone higher-up the food chain decided they wanted a different candidate or else the job itself disappeared. It's a good thing I hadn't told the other hiring managers/HR folks I was dealing with, at other companies, that I was no longer available. I had a backup offer in the wings.

I'm talking about still job hunting when you are closed to being hired. It would feel strange toi be applying to jobs when you are currently in the background process of a job you WANT

Old 08-05-2013, 02:32 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,185,346 times
Quote:
It would feel strange toi be applying to jobs when you are currently in the background process of a job you WANT
Really? And why would that be strange? That to me personally sounds lazy. Never stop until your first day ON the job. As I mentioned in one of my earlier post, I have interviewed while I was negotiating salary at another employer (post background checks) AND did end up taking the latter offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search