Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 02:37 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,188,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I'm talking about still job hunting when you are closed to being hired. It would feel strange toi be applying to jobs when you are currently in the background process of a job you WANT
And let me add - being in background process does not guarantee you the job. Sometime in 2007-2008, I was interviewing for a senior consultant position at one of the Big 4. I went through 7 rounds of interviews, about 4 of them with partners. My application was in the background check process when economy tanked and they lost budget for that position. I was lucky I was actively interviewing on the side and did have a few interviews already lined up. Moral of the story - never stop until the day you actually start the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 02:40 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
Really? And why would that be strange? That to me personally sounds lazy. Never stop until your first day ON the job. As I mentioned in one of my earlier post, I have interviewed while I was negotiating salary at another employer (post background checks) AND did end up taking the latter offer.

That's fine if it was a place you were already interviewing with or applied to weeks ago. But to all of a sudden start looking for jobs again and you are in the final stages of a job you want to me is just wacky

Old 08-05-2013, 02:42 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
And let me add - being in background process does not guarantee you the job. Sometime in 2007-2008, I was interviewing for a senior consultant position at one of the Big 4. I went through 7 rounds of interviews, about 4 of them with partners. My application was in the background check process when economy tanked and they lost budget for that position. I was lucky I was actively interviewing on the side and did have a few interviews already lined up. Moral of the story - never stop until the day you actually start the job.

I tried for the job I have now but it was something that was not letting me continue the job search. Once the reference check process started my mind was on this job only because it was

in my preferred salary range
close to home
required no traveling

So I knew there was no other job that was going to compete with that. Now if I didn't get the job I would have been forced to restart the job hunt and move on

Old 08-05-2013, 02:43 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
it's not wacky, it's smart. ever hear the expression "don't count your chickens before they're hatched"?

i've gotten to the point of having references checked before, and didn't get the job. i've also gotten an offer, found out the terms of employment, and decided to turn the job down. you should never stop exploring other options until you at the very least have an offer you're happy with. sitting around waiting for a place to get back to you is wasted time - your dream job might get posted and filled in the time that you're waiting around.

i did stop applying for jobs when i accepted a verbal offer. but i didn't give notice until i got a written one.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:48 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
ha, i just checked and i did in fact apply for the job i have now while waiting to hear back from the job where i got an offer and turned it down. i was also waiting to hear back about a second interview at another place (excellent pay and benefits) that i thought i had a really good chance at.

SO GLAD i don't live my life using the WPD method (tm). my 8 month job search probably would have taken 3 years.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:52 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
I tried for the job I have now but it was something that was not letting me continue the job search. Once the reference check process started my mind was on this job only because it was

close to home
required no traveling

So I knew there was no other job that was going to compete with that. Now if I didn't get the job I would have been forced to restart the job hunt and move on
Get real. There was "no other job" - it was the only offer you'd had in 11 months of unemployment. Your general advice on this subject is so incredibly bad and flies totally in the face of all logic and all educated thought. Until you have an offer you have absolutely nothing.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:10 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,744,337 times
Quote:

close to home
required no traveling

But why waste time? If you stopped applying for jobs at the point you'd decided "This is the job I want!" and the company was in the process of doing a background check/checking references... and you didn't actually get the job, you could have wasted 2 weeks.

Meanwhile, during those 2 weeks, your dream job might have been posted and the hiring manager may have stopped accepting resumes because they got so many applicants during the 2 days the job was posted.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:06 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Relax a week is a blink of the eye. Hiring for a career is a long term proposition and takes time to decide about the fit. If your looking for paycheck they might not value you call showing how anxious you are. If you have another offer which requires a decision now, give them a call, if not settle down and give them 3 weeks. When does the next class start since you just missed the last class of hires?

Old 08-05-2013, 05:24 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
But why waste time? If you stopped applying for jobs at the point you'd decided "This is the job I want!" and the company was in the process of doing a background check/checking references... and you didn't actually get the job, you could have wasted 2 weeks.

Meanwhile, during those 2 weeks, your dream job might have been posted and the hiring manager may have stopped accepting resumes because they got so many applicants during the 2 days the job was posted.

Part of the reason was it wasn't really a lot of jobs out there so I decided to push all the chips into the middle of the table and put all my attention on the job I wanted

Plus she always made it seem like no one else was in the running which was also another reason I felt good about my chances.

When she said have a 'happy thanksgiving holiday " I knew at the point I was getting the job

Old 08-05-2013, 09:42 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Quote:
It's obvious I am not the only one who feels that way which is why the OP started the thread. Who wants to start a new search and go through the all the hiring steps all over again when they haven't been rejected yet?

Now you can still accept interview invites but the actual job search is on HOLD while you wait to hear a answer
Small wonder it took you a year to find a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search