U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 08:04 PM

11,293 posts, read 8,470,402 times

Advertisements

Most applications will ask if it's okay to contact. On my resume I always add "please call" by my supervisors' names, past & present.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 09:18 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,736,323 times
you put your supervisors' names on your resume? that's kinda weird.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:54 PM

2,060 posts, read 4,219,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Most applications will ask if it's okay to contact. On my resume I always add "please call" by my supervisors' names, past & present.
LOL! Why would you want to trust them in keeping your faith? I know from friends/co-workers where their references were contacted without their knowledge, just because the hiring department already had the information on hand and they didn't bother to inform the candidate.

Point to remember - as far as possible, do not include your current boss or co-workers as your reference (unless its your first job and you don't have similar previous experience). You can include one of your previous boss (if you left honorably and have good relationship) or some of your previous co-workers (again, if you had good relationship with them). NEVER, the current boss.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:15 PM

10,082 posts, read 14,060,226 times
[quote=davenj08;30832035]LOL! Why would you want to trust them in keeping your faith? I know from friends/co-workers where their references were contacted without their knowledge, just because the hiring department already had the information on hand and they didn't bother to inform the candidate.

That is common the back channel reference check esp if you are staying same industry. I had it done to my former co-worker. I get an IM from my then AVP do you know so and so........yes........what were their sales like hunter or farmer.........sales good she was a farmer........ok thanks.

That was it no job for her. They wanted a hard core hunter type. I felt bad when I found out but honestly she wasn't a good fit for a hunting position.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:27 PM

2,060 posts, read 4,219,017 times
[quote=Colorado xxxxx;30832236]
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
LOL! Why would you want to trust them in keeping your faith? I know from friends/co-workers where their references were contacted without their knowledge, just because the hiring department already had the information on hand and they didn't bother to inform the candidate.

That is common the back channel reference check esp if you are staying same industry. I had it done to my former co-worker. I get an IM from my then AVP do you know so and so........yes........what were their sales like hunter or farmer.........sales good she was a farmer........ok thanks.

That was it no job for her. They wanted a hard core hunter type. I felt bad when I found out but honestly she wasn't a good fit for a hunting position.
Right, I agree. There is a lot of informal background checking both inside and across the industry. Especially with LinkedIn, they do have a full picture of where you have been and who you know. In the past, reference checks were to not just check how good you are at what you do but also to validate if you have actually done what you have mentioned in the resume. Now lying about where you have worked and for how long is out of question.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:57 PM

4,521 posts, read 2,896,668 times
It does indeed vary. I've had companies tell me within a week that they found someone else. I suspect they had a better candidate already, and their urgency in squeezing me in was to rule me out ASAP if I wasn't better, or to give me an offer if I ended up being the better candidate. For me though, 1 to 2 weeks has been the "the point". After that, if they really wanted me, I would've gotten an offer. However, these are NOT gov't jobs. Also, getting the offer and the job were 2 separate things, as I got a job offer, but had to wait for security checks to go through and pass (not that I wasn't expecting to fail, but still... it was the final hurdle to being a shoe-in, as this would let me start)

Old 08-06-2013, 03:24 AM

9,235 posts, read 9,305,514 times
I have to tell this story:

My wife has a 4 year degree in Nursing and also has graduate degrees in health education. Her skills have always made her very marketable and she's never had trouble getting a job.

Years ago, a local company advertised a position for a nurse. They wanted someone onsite who could perform first aid for injured workers and possibly do some health education. She applied for the job and was called in for an interview. That seemed to go well and she was called back for an interview with a group of people. A week later, she was interviewed a third time, by the company manager and his top assistants. She was than instructed to meet with a local physician who did some contract work for the company.

By this time, about five weeks had gone by. We kept waiting for a call telling her she was hired. No call came.

At the end of about five to six weeks, someone from the company called indicating they wanted to see her for, yet, another interview. A regional representative from Denver was supposed to be present.

That's when she threw in the towel. She told the guy in personnel that "she had better things to do, than submit to a seemingly endless interview process". When she said this, she told me there was a dead silence on the other end of the phone for a minute. The guy tried to talk her into continuing this whole thing. She stood her ground and said "I can be hired for many other jobs". According to her the guy seemed to be in shock and couldn't believe someone would do this to him.

Its nice to have job skills that are in demand.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:56 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,552,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Wow that's crazy, I never heard of a current boss being called for a reference.
The OP clearly wrote, "At the second interview, they made it very clear they would need to speak to my current employer in order to move forward with a offer. I let my current boss know before they called and he is supportive of my taking the position as it is a step up in my career."

Old 08-06-2013, 06:03 AM

24 posts, read 28,591 times
Since youre actively looking elsewhere, just contact them and say you got a better job offer somewhere else...but youre holding off a bit because theyre the offer you want/you want to know what all your options are before committing. See what they do.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:13 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,552,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmtwedze View Post
Since youre actively looking elsewhere, just contact them and say you got a better job offer somewhere else...but youre holding off a bit because theyre the offer you want/you want to know what all your options are before committing. See what they do.
That's a very dangerous tactic to even consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or