U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 09:19 AM

1,203 posts, read 3,097,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
The way this came across to me was as if your wife didn't have time for all this nonsense, is that correct?

Because I would be in shock too, and as a hiring manager, I would have blacklisted your wife.

Why? Because if she thinks so highly of herself that she would deem an interview as nonsense, what else would she think is beneath her? What parts of her job might she not do because it was a bunch of nonsense?

Just an observation.
Don't you think 4 interviews through a 6 week process is enough? It's not that easy to just drop what your doing and take time off of work on such short notice. Never mind 5 or 6 times in a a short period.

A phone interview and 1 or 2 in person interviews should be all that's required. Any more than that and it gives the impression that the company is either very unorganized or a bureaucratic nightmare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 09:24 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,362,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
A phone interview and 1 or 2 in person interviews should be all that's required. Any more than that and it gives the impression that the company is either very unorganized or a bureaucratic nightmare.
For a well-paying government position (which this is) I don't think it's unusual.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:27 AM

77 posts, read 107,601 times
Quote:
Don't you think 4 interviews through a 6 week process is enough? It's not that easy to just drop what your doing and take time off of work on such short notice. Never mind 5 or 6 times in a a short period.

I agree. I think it says the organization does not have a very well defined hiring process. Before you hire someone, every organization should define the process, who is going be on the interview panel, next step after first interview, who conducts second interview, who makes the final hiring decision, on boarding the candidate, etc. AND, that process should be communicated to all interview candidates, sorry, but anything less is unprofessional. That is not something you make up as you go along.

This only applies if the organizations wants a good qualified candidate, interviewing is a two way street.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:28 AM

16,720 posts, read 14,684,567 times
Quote:

It doesn't matter what I think. If I want the job, that is what I am going to do to get the job.

And yes, I have had jobs where I went to phone interviews, online interviews, face-to-face interviews, flown to meet the team, and then flown to meet with a round table of analysts who peppered me with questions, going around the table and marking down my responses on their questionnaires.

I'm not going to tell them how to hire me, I am telling them why they should hire me. I certainly am not going to whine to them about their process.

And yes, for a government position, this is normal. I work for the DoD. There is nothing organized about the government. LOL

Old 08-06-2013, 09:50 AM

1,203 posts, read 3,097,549 times
Quote:
I'm not going to tell them how to hire me, I am telling them why they should hire me. I certainly am not going to whine to them about their process.
OK, whatever works for you.

During an interview, I'm checking out the company too. I want to learn more about the position and what the company is like. I have every right to complain about a lengthy and arduous interview process. And it indicates to me that it's not a company I'd enjoy working for.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:16 AM

4,399 posts, read 9,052,070 times
Quote:
The way this came across to me was as if your wife didn't have time for all this nonsense, is that correct?

Because I would be in shock too, and as a hiring manager, I would have blacklisted your wife.

Why? Because if she thinks so highly of herself that she would deem an interview as nonsense, what else would she think is beneath her? What parts of her job might she not do because it was a bunch of nonsense?

Just an observation.
Well it should be obvious to you that the wife didn't want to work for this company, so that the "blacklist" was not important to this person.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:16 AM

16,720 posts, read 14,684,567 times
Quote:
I have every right to complain about a lengthy and arduous interview process.
Good luck with that approach!

Old 08-06-2013, 10:18 AM

4,399 posts, read 9,052,070 times
Quote:

This person did not whine. The interviewer asked her to come in for another interview and she refused and chose not to pursue the position any further. Which is her prerogative. She does have free will after all.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:35 AM

570 posts, read 1,504,391 times
i like that wife. I would hire her If I can. I wouldn't want to work for the company who think highly of themselves and don't respect other people's time and money.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:36 AM

1,605 posts, read 1,482,695 times
The fact is, some hiring processes are very long. My DHs last position took 6 months before he started and the one before that took several months also. It is interesting to note that my DH already worked for this company and both positions (while very specialized) were open for a long time even though they were pivotal jobs to fill. In our case, part of the delay both times was a) it is a large corporation with many decision makers involved and b) the powers-that-be where DH was located did not want to lose him, so they fought it out for months. We had to be very patient and persistent to see it through. It is just the nature of the beast sometimes, and is not necessarily indicative of a bad company to work for. Finding the right person is sometimes more important than filling a job quickly.

For sure it was aggravating and we felt like moving on several times, especially since we already had a good thing going. However, these jobs were great steps forward and so we just went with the flow, the very long flow. And it worked out both times to our great advantage.

I realize this is not the same situation for you, but want to encourage you not to give up after 7 weeks. You really don't know what is going on behind the scenes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or