U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 10:56 AM

570 posts, read 1,505,891 times

Advertisements

took 6 months to decide who to hire, how can they be a great company? That's some slow process for that company. If hire one person is 6 months, other important company decisions may take years? Most top fortune 500 companies like Apple, GE, google, Microsoft, GM, take few week weeks to make the decision on who to hire for those mid level positions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 11:14 AM

15,370 posts, read 17,630,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlesseden View Post
took 6 months to decide who to hire, how can they be a great company? That's some slow process for that company. If hire one person is 6 months, other important company decisions may take years? Most top fortune 500 companies like Apple, GE, google, Microsoft, GM, take few week weeks to make the decision on who to hire for those mid level positions.
I disagree. I know of a recent hiring decision that took longer than 6 months from a top well known Fortune 500 company.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:16 AM

10,077 posts, read 14,031,716 times
I had a HM tell me how many interviews he had done in the short time he was a SM at a new tech company and I ran the quick math he didn't even have enough time to support his sales team. He said he done a total of 120 interviews in 5 months! I passed on them.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:18 AM

13,343 posts, read 17,418,107 times
Quote:

Perhaps it's not deciding whom to hire that will take 6 months. There are other factors -- the biggest one is budget. Hiring freezes can be invoked w/o warning.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:49 AM

[quote=jaypee;30838564Hiring freezes can be invoked w/o warning.[/QUOTE]

That's been one of my biggest challenges. I interview great and more than half jobs cancelled.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:17 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,486,675 times
Quote:
Certainly, not every hire takes 6 months. It is a great company to work for. We have enjoyed many perks including living abroad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I disagree. I know of a recent hiring decision that took longer than 6 months from a top well known Fortune 500 company.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Perhaps it's not deciding whom to hire that will take 6 months. There are other factors -- the biggest one is budget. Hiring freezes can be invoked w/o warning.
Exactly, there are many factors that come into play. In the end, the decision for my husband to change positions went to the VP of the corporation. That's how badly the current branch of the company didn't want to lose him and the new one wanted him. It caused the whole process to drag on. The battle was worth it to us as now he will be home instead of on a different continent for 6 or more months of the year. Our kids will be out of the house in the next couple of years and it was too much to miss.

I wish you well, OP and hope an offer comes through very soon!

Old 08-06-2013, 12:21 PM

5,253 posts, read 5,179,252 times
OP, I understand your frustration.

I was laid-off a month and a half ago. About a month ago, I went on an interview after being contacted by "Talent Acquisition" at this particular location. She called me and asked me to complete an application. Later that day, she called me and asked if I could schedule a phone interview that Monday. She called me back ten minutes later and said, "We're going to do this backwards. You'll come in and meet the supervisors and managers first. We'll do our phone interview after that." I took this as a good sign or a sign that they needed someone ASAP.

Unfortunately, I had no idea what part of the field this position was in and I didn't even get a chance to ask because everything had been thrown together so quickly. I was given a test of sorts that I didn't do too well on and I would have reviewed ahead of time if I had known what area of my field this was in---not only that but I lacked any type of training in one area that they are VERY particular about, which I knew would probably cost me the job.

The next week, HR calls me and tells me that they went with another candidate. But she says that I should continue to apply to their organization because the manager and supervisors raved about me and they wanted to get me into their organization. Two days later the manager from that department calls me and tells me that she really wants to bring me into the organization and wants to try to make a position just for me. She tells me that she is going away and that these things take a lot of time so just to "not lose hope" and to "try and hold on" until they can get the position created. Then the HR person calls me later that day to relay the same information.

Since then, more than two weeks have passed. I really wanted this to work out but I really cannot wait that much longer. I plan on e-mailing HR and just letting her know that as much as I want this position, I cannot stay on UE forever and I need to move ahead in finding a position suitable for me. (I would not word it this way. Just the general point I'd like to get across.) I know things move slowly, especially because they are trying to create a new position which needs to be approved, but what if I wait and they say, "Sorry, we don't have the money for the position."

Old 08-06-2013, 12:32 PM

24,671 posts, read 58,444,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Since then, more than two weeks have passed. I really wanted this to work out but I really cannot wait that much longer. I plan on e-mailing HR and just letting her know that as much as I want this position, I cannot stay on UE forever and I need to move ahead in finding a position suitable for me. (I would not word it this way. Just the general point I'd like to get across.)
This illuminates the point that you should never stop looking and applying until you have a job offer. You have nothing until you have an offer. Good luck! Oh, and I wouldn't give any reason for wanting to know. Just say that you're really interested in the position and would appreciate knowing some sort of a timeline.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:38 PM

1,203 posts, read 3,102,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
That's true, but there's a big difference between waiting and being asked back for an interview every week.

I expect to wait a while for all approvals for the job to be completed. But I don't have time to go through a series of interviews with limited vacation time left and while interviewing for other companies.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:39 PM

I found that asking the time frame upfront helps set the correct expectation. Then if they don't follow through I have a reason to call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or