Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 02:43 PM

77 posts, read 133,388 times

Advertisements

How long do you wait on a possible job offer?

I interviewed for a position the first week of June for a job that I thought I was really well qualified for, after the interview I was told a decision would be made by the first week of July and that they would be calling for second interviews the next week.

Well, the next week comes around and I get a call for the second interview, which was scheduled for a week later. Second interview was with the hiring manager and his boss. The interview lasted over an hour and went really well, discussed teleworking, flex schedule, staffing, expectations, etc.

At this point I thought the process was complete and an offer was pending, oh if life was that simple. Got a call, would you meet with the staff? I offer to come to the office but that was discouraged, hiring manager wanted it to be off site. OK, two weeks later, meet the staff, everything goes well.

Thinking I had made it to the finish line, I email to follow up, "when will you be making a decision, etc? Told, just got back from vacation and need to catch up on a few things and will be out of the office next week, should have a finalized decision in two weeks.

Two weeks pass, get an email saying, appreciated your patience, expect a call from the Director of the agency to discuss the position by the end of the week. Director calls, great conversation, now I am again waiting.

It has been over 7 weeks and I am at the end of my rope.

In between all of this activity, my boss has been called for a reference and now knows I am leaving, which makes work very uncomfortable.

So, am I being strung along or do you see a real offer for me in the future from this company?
The waiting is horrible.

I have not stopped looking, had 2 other interviews, and just got called for a second interview this afternoon.

Last edited by chestermom; 08-05-2013 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: Because I can't spell :)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 03:02 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,772,076 times
Press on as if this isn't happening. Sounds like they are about 3 weeks overdue on making a decision, unless their decision was to go with someone else.

No sense in waiting by the phone. Maybe one of the other prospects will work out.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:10 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,124,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chestermom View Post

In between all of this activity, my boss has been called for a reference and now knows I am leaving, which makes work very uncomfortable.

Big mistake to submit your existing manager as a reference w/o the person expecting it.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:24 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,215 times
yeah, most places will be understanding about your not being able to provide a current manager as a reference. if they're antsy about it (and you know your manager will give you a good reference), you can say the offer can be contingent on that reference. just for future reference, obviously there's nothing you can do about that now. but a hiring company should also realize that calling a person's current boss for a reference is a big deal and that they need to get moving once that happens.

but yeah, i mean, what does "waiting" mean? what changes when you stop waiting? if you're already applying for other jobs, it's probably best to also mentally let go until they contact you again. how long has it been since you've talked to the director? 7 weeks is the length of the whole process right, not how long it's been since that call?

Old 08-05-2013, 03:24 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
I was in similar shoes last summer. Wasted my entire summer getting strung along by prospective employers. All you can do is block it out of your mind and keep searching.

That was really not smart allowing them to call your current boss. I would be very motivated to keep interviewing in light of that.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:26 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,187,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Big mistake to submit your existing manager as a reference w/o the person expecting it.
Exactly! The only time my manager would know I am "looking" is when I offer my resignation. No way, ever, would I tell my manager I am actively/passively looking. Now that your manager knows it, I can imagine how awkward it would be for you if you did not get the job and had to spend another 6-8 months here.

If I were you, I would stop waiting for a call from the place you had originally interviewed and would actively and aggressively look elsewhere because I would want to leave sooner than later. You never know your manager may have already started looking for your replacement.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:51 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

At the second interview, they made it very clear they would need to speak to my current employer in order to move forward with a offer. I let my current boss know before they called and he is supportive of my taking the position as it is a step up in my career. It is just uncomfortable at the office because we don't know what is going to happen, he is reluctant to give me new projects, etc, if I am leaving in 2 weeks. But I agree, need to start aggressively looking cause I can't stay were I am, but the thought of starting over is very hard.

The entire process is just frustrating and I am not sure why it has to be this way. As a hiring manager before, I wanted it to be as efficient as possible, so I could get the best person hired to do the work that needed to be done.

I spoke to the Director last Thursday, so a couple of days ago.

It is just very frustrating, I think I have jumped through all the hoops, but no, there pops up another one.

I mean, don't people interview people for jobs to hire them or is this a sick joke to string someone along, maybe a power trip or something.

He did mention in the interview that the last person he hired was over the top and he needed to push them out of the organization. Maybe he has had a bad hire in the past and no one in the organization trusts him to make the decision.

It is very hard to walk away from a job that pays mid-80K, allows teleworking and has a short commute.

Last edited by chestermom; 08-05-2013 at 04:25 PM..

Old 08-05-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I was in similar shoes last summer. Wasted my entire summer getting strung along by prospective employers. All you can do is block it out of your mind and keep searching.

That was really not smart allowing them to call your current boss. I would be very motivated to keep interviewing in light of that.

You are 110% correct, I will NEVER EVER do this again, EVER. If anything good comes out of this entire situation is it that I will NEVER do this again.

I would think that they would know it is uncomfortable once the current manager is called and submit an offer, but I guess he could care less. I honestly thought I would have an offer in the next couple of days after he called. That was over a month ago.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:02 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,479,283 times
I had offers that took much longer than 2 months from first screening interview. Sounds like will get the offer very soon. Hang in there and don't stress over it.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:04 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,012,013 times
If it's government I'm not surprised at all, it can take MONTHS to know for sure. Just keep plugging along, as for your boss at work, if they are supportive that you are leaving just continue doing a good job and all will be well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search