Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2013, 04:41 PM

25 posts, read 72,167 times

Advertisements

I had a phone screen with HR and it started off on a bad note. Every once in a while I just have interviews where I don't click with the person on the other line. Every time I said something, the HR person countered with "Why?". Not only that, I was told that this call would be very general in nature about my resume but the conversation steered off to the wrong end and I ended up getting technical questions one after another that I'm pretty sure no one else got which pissed me off a bit. I would fumble for some answers at times and it was overall not a pleasant experience. Towards the end of the call, HR kept saying "this has been helpful". I know I should just move on but does this line mean anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 06:26 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,003,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Boy View Post
I had a phone screen with HR and it started off on a bad note. Every once in a while I just have interviews where I don't click with the person on the other line. Every time I said something, the HR person countered with "Why?". Not only that, I was told that this call would be very general in nature about my resume but the conversation steered off to the wrong end and I ended up getting technical questions one after another that I'm pretty sure no one else got which pissed me off a bit. I would fumble for some answers at times and it was overall not a pleasant experience. Towards the end of the call, HR kept saying "this has been helpful". I know I should just move on but does this line mean anything?

It means the screening interview has helped them decide whether or not you're a viable candidate.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:39 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,396,795 times
I agree with Jaypee and add this..............you know what they say about the word interesting.......she may have used helpful instead.

Don't beat yourself up. That's why the word chemistry exits. You didn't have any and push on.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:42 PM

25 posts, read 72,167 times
but does this line lean towards more negative or positive news?

Old 08-08-2013, 06:51 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,003,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Boy View Post
but does this line lean towards more negative or positive news?
Well, how did the conversation end?
The only way to know for sure is if you get another callback but you yourself said it didn't go well.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:31 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,620,794 times
yeah, there's no point in trying to parse what the interviewer said. a bad feeling about how it went is much more informative (although not always correct!)

it's tempting to try to dissect everything the interviewer says and does and try to find meaning in it, but honestly people often say things just to say them. and people say things for different reasons, and we can't read minds.

and if it was a positive sign, what difference would it make? would it change anything you do? it shouldn't. the healthiest and smartest thing to do is just forget about it til you hear from them.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:04 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,105 posts, read 80,174,082 times
I would take it as negative, but you never know. Move on, keep trying, and maybe you'll get a pleasant surprise. never try to reads into an interviewer's responses, it only causes grief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search