Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 12:51 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times

Advertisements

these are all city-run agencies?

Home - Dress for Success
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 12:53 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
So every single charity/thrift store/church (not including the others that doesn't fall in the three caregories mentioned) on this list won't help you if you don't have a referral?
Charities in New York and Charitable Foundations

Last edited by momtothree; 08-09-2013 at 01:42 PM..

Old 08-09-2013, 01:31 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Like I said before, NYC is different. I know in other cities you can get free clothes, but it's very difficult to do in NYC.

Think I'm lying? Try to find a place here if you can. It's very difficult.
I'm in NJ, but NYC does do the free coat thing every year. I've donated.

When I worked at the WTC, a group of us visited a drop-in center downtown to offer help if they needed it. They provided meals and assistance with social services to the homeless, and they had showers and a room full of clothing they gave to clients. I don't recall the name--it was somewhere near Delmonico's. I'm thinking Beaver Street. It was back in the 90s, though, and I don't recall the name of the organization that ran it.

I would not and did not say you were lying. Don't know where that's coming from.

However, I do find it hard to believe that no churches/synagogues/mosques in NYC collect and give away free clothes.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:24 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
these are all city-run agencies?

Home - Dress for Success
No. They're private, but you can't just walk in off the street looking for clothes from them. They only accept REFERRALS from places that deal with the poor, but most of those places are contracted or deal with NYC Human Resources Administration in some way.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm in NJ, but NYC does do the free coat thing every year. I've donated.

When I worked at the WTC, a group of us visited a drop-in center downtown to offer help if they needed it. They provided meals and assistance with social services to the homeless, and they had showers and a room full of clothing they gave to clients. I don't recall the name--it was somewhere near Delmonico's. I'm thinking Beaver Street. It was back in the 90s, though, and I don't recall the name of the organization that ran it.
I believe you, but this was before NYC's version of WELFARE REFORM took over. Everything has changed.

Quote:
I would not and did not say you were lying. Don't know where that's coming from.

However, I do find it hard to believe that no churches/synagogues/mosques in NYC collect and give away free clothes.
If they are doing it, then you have to KNOW SOMEONE THAT KNOWS SOMEONE, because dialing NYC's 311 number will only lead you to city agencies which ALWAYS lead back to Human Resources who are good for NOTHING.

Other cities have a "211" number with a list of charities, churches and organizations that help people and are independent of their city's Human Resources or Welfare Office.

Last edited by marilyn220; 08-09-2013 at 02:38 PM..

Old 08-09-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
So every single charity/thrift store/church (not including the others that doesn't fall in the three caregories mentioned) on this list won't help you if you don't have a referral?
Charities in New York and Charitable Foundations
Thanks for posting this. I wouldn't know for sure, unless I called.

I know people RIGHT NOW that need clothing and other help, but are relying on the help of family who are already struggling and a list of food pantries/churches to get food, because foodstamps doesn't cover for the entire month.

I really shouldn't have posted in this thread, because talking about people's clothing and not looking or acting "presentable" has always been a sore topic for me. I realize in many instances that I (including the the people passing judgment in this thread) are truly blessed in that I had mentors or people to teach me survival/success skills.

It's not the same for everyone. Also, this Depression has plunged many regular working/middle class people in the throws of poverty as well. They will all tell you that dealing with NYC's HRA for cash benefits (which is already low) is a nightmare. The "myth" of poor people living on "easy street" hasn't been true in close to 20 years, if it ever was.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:41 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
The "myth" of poor people living on "easy street" hasn't been true in close to 20 years, if it ever was.
well i can agree with that.

i know that nyc's welfare reform stuff has been awful, like the "workfare" thing which leaves people with no time to look or train for actual jobs. but that's getting really off-topic.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
well i can agree with that.

i know that nyc's welfare reform stuff has been awful, like the "workfare" thing which leaves people with no time to look or train for actual jobs. but that's getting really off-topic.
Exactly. If people only knew what it's REALLY like, but as the economy continues to worsen (there has been no improvement despite what the government and news outlets are saying) many of them will experience the same things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search