U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 07:41 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,750,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Again, maybe they didn't or don't have the money to purchase proper clothing?

Maybe in their minds they ARE doing the "best" they can.

There are thousands of people that were never taught proper job attire or etiquette.

Be VERY thankful that you WERE and can AFFORD to purchase decent attire is all I'm saying.

There is such a thing as an "ivory tower" which many seem to live in, especially on the internet, because they're lives are so "perfect".
Again...did you read the OP?
Did you read the responses? Did you read my other post?
Well, silly question, obviously you did not.

So far it's a short thread so it's not like you have to go to a great deal of effort to read and comprehend the few posts thus far in this thread.

Oh, the irony.....

(_______whoooooossshhhhh.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 07:55 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,750,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I was looking for a lunch cook, someone to basically turn out sandwiches, burgers and suchlike. This woman came in to fill out an application. She was very nicely dressed, her hair was nicely styled, she was clean and fresh and I had her sit down at the bar to fill out the application while I continued to prep for opening.

She seemed to be having a problem writing and I realized why when I saw that her fingernails were not only incredibly brightly festooned in a myriad of colors but each and every one was at least an inch long. As I was mulling over how on earth she was going to flip burgers and make sandwiches with those incredible talons, she started "honking". You know, that dreadful intake of air through the nostrils which sets up a big loud snorty rumble which goes down into the throat and which usually precedes a big gob of nasty being spat out? (I know, put your snack to one side.) She didn't do it just once, it was a once every minute honking and I had to stop prepping food as I was feeling very nauseous after even the first one.

The time it took her to fill out the simple application seemed interminable ...

Not really about attire but in the same vein. I didn't hire her but I did call her and thank her for applying.

EWWWWWW.

That was nice, and smart, of you to give her a call back, though. You never know, maybe your next hiring go-around she'll come back sans nails and honking and will suddenly be an awesome employee!

Old 08-06-2013, 08:03 PM

874 posts, read 1,104,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
In Boulder, no joke I have seen IT managers where shorts, t shirt, and flip flops. Not all the time, but more than you would think. One guy, no BS, was taking bong hits when my SM showed up and just said excuse and came back in 5 min like nothing happened. Just classic.

ccm-that's more common that you think. My wife does software testing and some of the PM's don't use deodorant or take a shower every day.
HAHA.. Boulder. Incredible.

OH, yeah. I was walking behind one on my way to lunch today. Yikes..

Old 08-06-2013, 08:10 PM

24,671 posts, read 60,199,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
EWWWWWW.

That was nice, and smart, of you to give her a call back, though. You never know, maybe your next hiring go-around she'll come back sans nails and honking and will suddenly be an awesome employee!
That I'm saved from. Closed my restaurant two years ago after 16 years but what a lot of stories to tell!!!

Old 08-06-2013, 08:16 PM

32 posts, read 48,425 times
How do some of you hiring managers not laugh when they have funky hairdos or hair sticking up, with flip flops, scarves on their heads?! I would have a difficult time not wanting to snicker at them!!

I used to work with a lady that literally smelled like she dumped the purfume bottle on herself before work every day. We always knew when she arrived to work!! haha!

But, the body odor thing is unacceptable to me! I almost gag when someone reeks of sweat or just like they haven't showered for a week. Actually, just the other day actually in Walmart, I couldn't help but hold my breath trying not to smell someone that smelled like they hadn't showered in a week after working out or something!).

I also used to work for the state, and we had some that had bright orange and green curved long nails come in to apply - and I think one of them got the job!

Old 08-06-2013, 08:26 PM

18,668 posts, read 17,482,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
. The worst one was platform heels, tube skirt and a tight button up blouse with most of it unbuttoned to show cleavage. .
Sounds like someone I worked with 15 years ago. She didn't last,. but the guys who did not have to deal with the embarrassment she caused appreciated her.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:38 PM

7,672 posts, read 10,309,953 times
Quote:
Many people don't have money to purchase decent clothing.

Continue to live in your ivory bubble
Clean and decent clothes are cheaper than trendy trashy outfits. Plain black pants/skirt and simple white blouse is all that's needed. Thrift store, $6. Walmart, $14, Marshalls, $23.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:38 PM

3,063 posts, read 4,161,390 times
When Steve Jobs was in his first role as Apples President he had an executive assistant whose primary job was to try to get him to take more baths!

Aspergers? Or is this just about the industry?

Old 08-06-2013, 08:40 PM

10,137 posts, read 14,518,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
When Steve Jobs was in his first role as Apples President he had an executive assistant whose primary job was to try to get him to take more baths!

Aspergers? Or is this just about the industry?
Before Gates became big he was similar so focused doing seminars poor hygiene. A fine line between genius and......

Old 08-06-2013, 08:56 PM

11,055 posts, read 8,837,941 times
Quote:
Many people don't have money to purchase decent clothing.

Continue to live in your ivory bubble though.
The first place where I lived on my own was a rental mobile home with plants growing on the roof, brick behind toilet tank to keep it from falling against the wall, holes in floor big enough to see the grass growing, snails leaving slime trail on carpet at night, twice I found a lizard in my bed, and once was awakened by a spider crawling across my face. Thrift stores, dollar stores, and discount department stores all have very affordable nice clothes. Payless, Wal-Mart, and dollar stores have decent looking shoes. Now, I think if these poor people can afford an iPhone, decorative case, Bluetooth earpiece, extremely expensive hair style that takes all day to set, and jewelry;I think they can afford decent (as in not indecent) clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search