U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 08:01 PM

12,679 posts, read 14,049,093 times

Advertisements

I once saw a guy show up for an interview with a mohawk and raggedy jeans. I think he had some band T shirt on. We don't exactly attract the brains anymore in my occupation... Of course, the kid had a family member working there so he got the job, and I got to deal with him in my debt. No biggie, I was outta that place a month later. Heard he ran a whole bunch of botched work and cost the company quite a bit, but they still kept him around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
ccm-that's more common that you think. My wife does software testing and some of the PM's don't use deodorant or take a shower every day.
I must admit... If I'm slow getting out of bed, I will skip the shower. I don't work closely with anyone so it's never an issue. I don't sweat much and no one has complained that I stink so I guess I can get away with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 08:03 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,227,206 times
Perfume/cologne spray, one spray on each side of the neck (2 total)
Non-spray perfume/cologne, one drop on one fingertip for each side of the neck (2 total)

Any more than this is too much.

Guys, choose and use aftershave carefully. Alcohol base aftershave splash is too strong, even in moderation. Consider switching to an odorless aftershave lotion.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I must admit... If I'm slow getting out of bed, I will skip the shower. I don't work closely with anyone so it's never an issue. I don't sweat much and no one has complained that I stink so I guess I can get away with it.
In my line of work, I shower before bed. I work in a boiler room

Old 08-06-2013, 08:42 PM

10,082 posts, read 14,067,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I have a lot of respect for your job, my friend did it in the Navy at 115-120F he said they had to take salt tablets.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:09 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,485,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Many people don't have money to purchase decent clothing.

Continue to live in your ivory bubble though.
You don't need money to buy t-shirts without S*** spelled across it or marijuana leafs. When I lived in a homeless shelter, none of the clothes in the donation room had those words. Deodorant is certainly available for those that can't afford it.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I have a lot of respect for your job, my friend did it in the Navy at 115-120F he said they had to take salt tablets.
So did I. Was an MM2 when I left.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:39 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,740,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Clean and decent clothes are cheaper than trendy trashy outfits. Plain black pants/skirt and simple white blouse is all that's needed. Thrift store, $6. Walmart, $14, Marshalls, $23.
yeah, almost all of my interview and work clothes came from either gabriel brothers (big closeout place), thrift stores, or walmart. the best quality clothes that i have came from thrift stores. i've rarely paid more than $10 for a garment. and the internet is free at the library - if people don't know how to dress for an interview, they can research it online.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:39 AM

12,679 posts, read 14,049,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I'm sure it's much appreciated

I work in a climate controlled environment. Often times, the air gets a bit too chilled, so skipping a shower isn't too much of an issue.

Funny, I've seen employment guidelines that actually specified that workers are to take a shower daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
yeah, almost all of my interview and work clothes came from either gabriel brothers (big closeout place), thrift stores, or walmart. the best quality clothes that i have came from thrift stores. i've rarely paid more than $10 for a garment.
I have purchased quite a bit of my work attire at thrift stores. They seem to last much longer than the new stuff I have bought in the regular stores, and they are even cheaper than the work uniforms some companies offer to their employees.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:51 AM

I guess someone thinks our mentioning "decent" clothing means we expect clothing from JC Penny's, Sears, Dillard's, Macy's, Lords and Taylor, or high end specialty stores. While I do like the clothing at Penny's and Sears (the quality vs the price), I never expected entry level job applicants to pay these types of prices for "decent" clothing.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:57 AM

10,586 posts, read 10,796,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I was a hiring manager at a Silicon Valley firm years ago. I would interview customer facing support/service engineers for high paid positions (85K+ bonus to start). Some of the candidates that came in should have never even bothered to apply. I had a guy who came in who did not shave or likely even shower in the morning (his hair looked like he just woke up). Another smelled as if his clothes had never been washed. When I asked him: "why did you leave your last job?" His reply: "my boss said that I smelled funny."
Adults who neglect their appearance and personal hygiene are always adults who were neglected as children by their parents- Some adults were never taught the simple skill of presentation- to be groomed - to be clean...to dress with simple taste- some adults might as well have been raised as wayward orphans. It's a shame that parents raising children who do not give their kids basic training are damning them to poverty in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search