U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 05:27 PM

10,077 posts, read 14,019,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Again, you don't know a person's living situation or what they have access to.

I'm not gonna elaborate, but poverty is more than just having "clean" clothes. You'd be surprised at how many thousands of people basically live in their cars and can only wash up at the gas station or gym (if they can afford a membership).

Poverty is DEEP in this country and increases by thousands more everyday.

Again, living in the ivory tower must be real nice. I wish I could live in one and find me a pair of rose colored glasses too.
I was just reading the story about the guy in Silicon Valley living out of a Honda Civic He shoud have bought a van at least like the guy in NC.

I actually wish I was more mobile but not planning on buying a van and living down the river. Get one of these hipster trailer homes. Great way to save money on taxes.
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-e...003502975.html

Last edited by Teckeeee; 08-07-2013 at 05:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 05:57 PM

896 posts, read 962,525 times
Way back when, early in my career, I had a boss take me.out to lunch and explain that the way I dressed was horrible. He then said that my work was stellar, so he was giving me X$$ as a bonus to go shopping for appropriate clothing. I am still grate full to this day, and had the chance to repay the favor for a gal who wore belly shirts to the office but was good at her job.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:09 PM

5 posts, read 4,909 times
I was interviewing someone for a sales role position. 6 figure salary, could be $200k at plan. A guy, I kid you not, shows up in board shorts and he has a portfolio with his resume, and a surf board! He said, "sorry, I know I shouldn't bring it but I didn't want it to get stolen!"

Old 08-07-2013, 09:06 PM

10,586 posts, read 10,769,514 times
Nothing wrong with being over dressed and showing up in a full suit..but you better know how to carry yourself ...People who are not accustomed to a suit always look uncomfortable as if they are wearing someone else's clothes...You know the look- kind of uncomfortable and white socks.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:25 PM

5,954 posts, read 6,855,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Clean and decent clothes are cheaper than trendy trashy outfits. Plain black pants/skirt and simple white blouse is all that's needed. Thrift store, $6. Walmart, $14, Marshalls, $23.
If it's a company where you will need a suit and tie, it can definitely run you a lot more. Easily several hundred dollars for a full suit including shoes, belt, tie, shirt, and tailoring. Walmart has some off-the-rack suit jackets and pants, but you will look like you got your suit from Walmart, especially if it doesn't fit correctly. Thrift shops are worth a look, but I tend to find the suits they have are usually pretty dated looking, and you still have to have them tailored most likely.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:59 PM

2,890 posts, read 5,390,350 times
Quote:
Many people don't have money to purchase decent clothing.

Continue to live in your ivory bubble though.
Clean, proper fitting clothes from Walmart are appropriate at most interviews.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:21 AM

269 posts, read 300,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I must admit... If I'm slow getting out of bed, I will skip the shower. I don't work closely with anyone so it's never an issue. I don't sweat much and no one has complained that I stink so I guess I can get away with it.
People may notice but just may not know how to tell you.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:30 AM

9,889 posts, read 8,172,704 times
Quote:
Again, you don't know a person's living situation or what they have access to.

I'm not gonna elaborate, but poverty is more than just having "clean" clothes. You'd be surprised at how many thousands of people basically live in their cars and can only wash up at the gas station or gym (if they can afford a membership).

Poverty is DEEP in this country and increases by thousands more everyday.

Again, living in the ivory tower must be real nice. I wish I could live in one and find me a pair of rose colored glasses too.
I've been to many countries. The poorest person here in USA is far richer than those in many other countries. I've been in rental units with people who had no job and only had welfare and yet they still had money for cigarettes, beer, cable TV, car, stereo, and rims. Yes, there are some who are homeless and live in a car. There are places they can go to get cleaned up. There are homeless shelters that help provide them with a place to bathe and donated clothing. Some shelters provide internet access and help to get sober if they want and help to find employment if they want. There are three most common causes of homelessness in this country. Loss of job/income, addiction, and or mental illness. The poor in other nations, the kind of poor you imagine, live in huts or tents, beg for food (and mean food, not money for drugs or booze), and when they do have food to cook, it's cooked over an open fire. They don't have electricity, TV, cable TV, cell phones, motor vehicles, large rims, video game systems, $200 shoes with a favorite basketball player's name, nor any other luxury items the "poor" of this country have at home.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:57 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,919,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
If it's a company where you will need a suit and tie, it can definitely run you a lot more. Easily several hundred dollars for a full suit including shoes, belt, tie, shirt, and tailoring. Walmart has some off-the-rack suit jackets and pants, but you will look like you got your suit from Walmart, especially if it doesn't fit correctly. Thrift shops are worth a look, but I tend to find the suits they have are usually pretty dated looking, and you still have to have them tailored most likely.
Of course but I was responding to the ivory tower lady with the pessimistic glasses.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:36 AM

810 posts, read 1,230,297 times
Quote:
Many people don't have money to purchase decent clothing.

Continue to live in your ivory bubble though.

They had the money to buy the crappy clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search