U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 09:43 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,362,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
They had the money to buy the crappy clothing.
Finally my morning chuckle which came rather late today!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 01:36 PM

6,473 posts, read 10,399,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I've been to many countries. The poorest person here in USA is far richer than those in many other countries. I've been in rental units with people who had no job and only had welfare and yet they still had money for cigarettes, beer, cable TV, car, stereo, and rims. Yes, there are some who are homeless and live in a car. There are places they can go to get cleaned up. There are homeless shelters that help provide them with a place to bathe and donated clothing. Some shelters provide internet access and help to get sober if they want and help to find employment if they want. There are three most common causes of homelessness in this country. Loss of job/income, addiction, and or mental illness. The poor in other nations, the kind of poor you imagine, live in huts or tents, beg for food (and mean food, not money for drugs or booze), and when they do have food to cook, it's cooked over an open fire. They don't have electricity, TV, cable TV, cell phones, motor vehicles, large rims, video game systems, $200 shoes with a favorite basketball player's name, nor any other luxury items the "poor" of this country have at home.
I do not care about the poor in "other" nations.

I also am VERY FAMILIAR with how the shelter system and poor are treated in NYC.

Most of the homeless in NYC are not drug addicts or mentally unfit. Many are homeless due to having no safety nets and a variety of other things.

Those "donated" clothes are only given if you can stay in "compliance" with NYC's horrible HRA rules. Every time you fall out of "compliance" (which could be for anything), you will no longer be allowed those "donated" clothes or any "help" until you fall back into "compliance".

I'm not going to get into a long drawn out discussion of this here, but there are MANY people who aren't told or taught how to dress properly for an interview. There are no "training" programs allowed anymore for people to learn these things (at least not in NYC).

And I'm tired of hearing about the "beer, rims and cigarettes" stories when it comes to the poor. You've probably seen someone with a fur coat and a mercedes purchase food with a food stamp card too, huh?

Old 08-08-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sat Nam View Post
I saw a woman with a black chiffon see thru blouse and some camisole (spelling?) underneath. More appropriate for her 'sexy time' to quote Borat.

I saw some young bruthers sagging and bagging at a job fair. I mean, c'mon! You really don't get that it's not appropriate for an interview?!
No, they don't.

If they did do you really believe they would have dressed that way on purpose??

Yeah, but you feel good about yourself and your noticing of the "bruthers" and their sagging, so you can have something to say.

Oh, and it's spelled "brothas" -- "b-r-o-t-h-a-s". If you're going to try to quote black slang, then learn to do it correctly, okay?

Last edited by marilyn220; 08-08-2013 at 02:19 PM..

Old 08-08-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Of course but I was responding to the ivory tower lady with the pessimistic glasses.
I said I wished I knew where to purchase the "rose colored" glasses that many of you seem to have when viewing the world from YOUR "ivory tower" not mine. I wouldn't live in an ivory tower if you paid me.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:13 PM

9,871 posts, read 8,162,089 times
If they don't know what's appropriate clothing to wear to a job interview by their adult years then they have serious problems. If that's how things are done at NYC shelters then that must be how shelters are run nation wide. Shelters in my area are private charity/church shelters which receives very little in state funding and the rest is in donations. Homeless in our area know they can get a shower at a truck stop. There are several thrift stores that sell donated clothing at discount prices. Weekend garage sales are frequented by the poor looking for clothing at cheap prices. They'll show up hours before the garage sale is suppose to start. As for the poor owning such luxury items, I drive through FHA neighborhoods and development projects on my way to work and lived next door to a project, literally! I saw such things regularly! Ice cream truck would come around and the kids tried to pay with the food stamps. When told they can't take food stamps, the kids would go back inside and come out with $20, $50, or even $100 bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I do not care about the poor in "other" nations.

I also am VERY FAMILIAR with how the shelter system and poor are treated in NYC.

Most of the homeless in NYC are not drug addicts or mentally unfit. Many are homeless due to having no safety nets and a variety of other things.

Those "donated" clothes are only given if you can stay in "compliance" with NYC's horrible HRA rules. Every time you fall out of "compliance" (which could be for anything), you will no longer be allowed those "donated" clothes or any "help" until you fall back into "compliance".

I'm not going to get into a long drawn out discussion of this here, but there are MANY people who aren't told or taught how to dress properly for an interview. There are no "training" programs allowed anymore for people to learn these things (at least not in NYC).

And I'm tired of hearing about the "beer, rims and cigarettes" stories when it comes to the poor. You've probably seen someone with a fur coat and a mercedes purchase food with a food stamp card too, huh?

Old 08-08-2013, 03:36 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,724,690 times
Yipes. Really? You judge someone on their clothing rather than on their background, experience, or education? Really?

Old 08-08-2013, 03:37 PM

10,075 posts, read 14,010,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
Yipes. Really? You judge someone on their clothing rather than on their background, experience, or education? Really?
In all job market where there are few jobs everyone is judged on everything.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:25 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,352,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
Nobody is talking about judging anyone bon clothing to the exclusion of other factors. Are you reading a different thread, perhaps?

Yes, really. If someone comes in to interview, or on the first day of the job reeking of body odor, wearing completely inappropriate clothing for the prospective job, with their face covered in dirt and grease because they are poor and live in a Dumpster instead of a house and can't shower every day, wearing a tee shirt that says **** this **** and Daisy Duke sweat shorts with ***** tramp-printed on the buttocks....

Uhhh, well yes. I will judge such people accordingly. Because clearly they lack judgement and a sense of what is appropriate to make a good impression - and this is what interviewing and first day is all about. Their background, experience, or education is a moot point if someone is smelly, ungroomed and dressed completely wrong for the occasion.

Now if someone brilliant and potentially capable were to interview with me and apologise for their grungy or smelly appearance because they were temporarily homeless and without bathing facilities but they did the best they could for the occasion and all else were equal, then sure, quite possibly yes.

But that's extremely rare. And I am guessing you have never been in the position of manager, business owner or someone tasked with hiring solid employees that will be an asset to the company, amirite?

Old 08-08-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
If they don't know what's appropriate clothing to wear to a job interview by their adult years then they have serious problems. If that's how things are done at NYC shelters then that must be how shelters are run nation wide. Shelters in my area are private charity/church shelters which receives very little in state funding and the rest is in donations.
I don't know if they have private shelters in NYC anymore. It seems like all of them are affiliated with NYC's Homeless or HRA departments and that is NOT a good thing. Believe me.

Quote:
Homeless in our area know they can get a shower at a truck stop.
There are no truck stops here. I think the Port Authority bus center is where many who miss "curfew" at the shelter they're supposed to be at go to clean up.

Quote:
There are several thrift stores that sell donated clothing at discount prices.
I'm aware that they "sell" it well below market, but what I'm trying to tell YOU is that there are thousands of people that do not receive CASH to purchase these clothes. NYC PA (cash benefits) only pays shelter costs and "might" (and this is a strong "might") get as little $87 every two weeks (for a single person with no kids) and it might be slightly hire for a parent with children. All rent and utilities is paid directly to the landlord or the shelter establishment they're residing. NYC would rather pay $3,000 per person to live in a shelter rather than giving them much less to live in a studio or one bedroom in the outerboroughs somewhere.

There is NO CLOTHING ALLOWANCE. NONE.

Also, you have to remember that for even the "slightest" infraction, everybody receiving cash can lose them in an instant for a "failure to comply" and have to do everything all over again. NYC's HRA is the worst in the state. All it has done is plunge people into further poverty. If it wasn't for the government's more lenient stance on foodstamps, many would be starving. The "myth" that poor people in NYC live on "easy street" has never been true. If anything, many are suffering from PTSD. True stories.

Quote:
Ice cream truck would come around and the kids tried to pay with the food stamps. When told they can't take food stamps, the kids would go back inside and come out with $20, $50, or even $100 bills.
Not for nothing, but you don't know WHO gave the kids that money. Believe it or not, many people living in public housing have family members and friends who WORK and can afford to help supplement where the government is severely lacking.

What's wrong with coming back out with $20? Are poor or low income people not supposed to have no more than a couple of singles on them at one time?

Old 08-08-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Nobody is talking about judging anyone bon clothing to the exclusion of other factors. Are you reading a different thread, perhaps?

Yes, really. If someone comes in to interview, or on the first day of the job reeking of body odor, wearing completely inappropriate clothing for the prospective job, with their face covered in dirt and grease because they are poor and live in a Dumpster instead of a house and can't shower every day, wearing a tee shirt that says **** this **** and Daisy Duke sweat shorts with ***** tramp-printed on the buttocks....
Look, stop exaggerating. How many people REALLY come to interviews dressed this way? Even people who are not taught how to properly dress will come with a clean face and body if they can.

Quote:
Now if someone brilliant and potentially capable were to interview with me and apologise for their grungy or smelly appearance because they were temporarily homeless and without bathing facilities but they did the best they could for the occasion and all else were equal, then sure, quite possibly yes.

That's good. Most people wouldn't be as understanding as you would though, but it's nice to know there are some people who do realize that LIFE HAPPENS and can overlook some things that cannot be helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search