U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 05:48 PM

10,075 posts, read 14,007,151 times

Advertisements

I think even more important is to realize we have a diverse group here. We have Walmart applicants and we have C level, what's passable for some will get other candidates blown out in 3 min or less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 06:02 PM

6,473 posts, read 10,398,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I think even more important is to realize we have a diverse group here. We have Walmart applicants and we have C level, what's passable for some will get other candidates blown out in 3 min or less.

Pathetic

Just because someone is pointing out that there are people going through real poverty issues they have to be "Walmart applicants"?

Old 08-08-2013, 06:04 PM

24,671 posts, read 58,350,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Look, stop exaggerating. How many people REALLY come to interviews dressed this way? Even people who are not taught how to properly dress will come with a clean face and body if they can.
I guess you've never owned a business or been in charge of hiring people.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:14 PM

10,075 posts, read 14,007,151 times
Quote:
Pathetic

Just because someone is pointing out that there are people going through real poverty issues they have to be "Walmart applicants"?
I can see why you think my 2 posts are related they aren't. I was simply trying to say we have a diverse group, happier now?

Old 08-08-2013, 07:56 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,054,639 times
Quote:
Many people don't have money to purchase decent clothing.

Continue to live in your ivory bubble though.
There is a significant difference between interviewing a candidate who is dressed appropriately but in inexpensive clothes, and a bozo who shows up wearing inappropriate expensive clothes.

In my interviews, the inexpensively yet appropriately dressed candidate always gets more props in comparison.

At 16 when I was first on my own all I could afford was a thrift store ensemble: A white button up, a pair of black slacks, an outdated tie, a pleather belt, and a pair of cheap sneakers. Some people snickered and laughed, but after a week of hitting the bricks someone saw potential. I was offered a junior position that lead to the launch of a career.

I never forget that, and remember it when I'm interviewing candidates.

That said, what does matter are visible tattoos. I once had a candidate roll in who was dressed appropriately, but had marijuana leaf tattoos on his ear lobes; They screamed bad judgment.

Needless to say, he didn't make the cut list.

Last edited by MattOTAlex; 08-08-2013 at 08:55 PM..

Old 08-08-2013, 08:09 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,350,330 times
Quote:
Look, stop exaggerating. How many people REALLY come to interviews dressed this way? Even people who are not taught how to properly dress will come with a clean face and body if they can.

Simply going by the answers in this one thread, quite a few. Actually.
Clearly you have never been a business owner or manager or in any position tasked with interviewing or hiring people.
Otherwise you would realise this is truly not exaggeration.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:17 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,923,178 times
I've only ever interviewed 2 people who were dressed so... outrageously... that it made enough of an impression on me that I brought it up when we were trying to decide who to hire... and I can still recall the details.

Candidate #1: Showed up wearing orange spandex leggings, like you'd wear to an aerobics class. Without getting too graphic . . . well . . . let's just say his package attracted a bit too much attention.

Candidate #2: Showed up wearing dirty, stained clothes. Ragged cargo pants that had been cut off into shorts (fraying hem) and a really gross, yucky looking sweatshirt. What really struck me about this is that this is someone I'd once worked with, and I know he knew better and had better in his closet. I think he was trying to portray the image of "I am the brilliantly distracted engineer". If so? It failed.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:21 PM

7,495 posts, read 9,752,153 times
Quote:
Again, maybe they didn't or don't have the money to purchase proper clothing?

Maybe in their minds they ARE doing the "best" they can.

There are thousands of people that were never taught proper job attire or etiquette.

Be VERY thankful that you WERE and can AFFORD to purchase decent attire is all I'm saying.

There is such a thing as an "ivory tower" which many seem to live in, especially on the internet, because they're lives are so "perfect".
I agree. If they're unemployed, their water may be shut off, they might not even be able to afford to do laundry.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:36 AM

56,000 posts, read 54,493,040 times
Quote:
Many people don't have money to purchase decent clothing.

Continue to live in your ivory bubble though.
Give me a break. There are ways to dress better for a job interview if you don't have money. You can go to the local thrift shop or a church or other organization that collects and gives out clothing. One of our local organizations collects good used clothing and gives it out once a month--I'm sure there are very few places in this country where there aren't similar organizations. The woman who runs the one where I volunteer said just recently that a guy from the neighborhood came knocking on her door--it was a couple of weeks away from the clothing giveaway day, but he had a job interview and needed something to wear. They found something and sent him on his way dressed appropriately, and he got the job.

You could also borrow something from someone who does have an outfit that is appropriate. A person smart enough to do the job will be smart enough to figure out how to dress for it.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 08-09-2013 at 09:52 AM..

Old 08-09-2013, 09:41 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,706,702 times
i know that there are nonprofits dedicated to providing homeless and very low income people with professional clothes for interviews and jobs. i'm sure they'd also connect people to resources for cleaning up before an interview as well. some are focused on women, but there are others that serve both women and men.

here's one i found by googling "professional clothes low income"

http://selfsufficiencycenter.org/con...ng-connections
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search