Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 09:49 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Again, maybe they didn't or don't have the money to purchase proper clothing?

Maybe in their minds they ARE doing the "best" they can.

There are thousands of people that were never taught proper job attire or etiquette.

Be VERY thankful that you WERE and can AFFORD to purchase decent attire is all I'm saying.

There is such a thing as an "ivory tower" which many seem to live in, especially on the internet, because they're lives are so "perfect".
Now that's a different story than just having the attitude that it shouldn't matter. It's also a sticky situation and hard for the average person to accept.

There's a good interview in last month's The Sun magazine with a man, a former prisoner, who helps prisoners try to get jobs and stay out of jail once they are released. Many of them are clueless as to how the real world works. As one example, he said one guy who came to their org claimed he was fired just because he was black and the boss was white. On further investigation, the guy was fired because he constantly took much longer than his allotted lunch hour--a reasonable excuse to sack somebody. However, in the employee's mind, his lunch hour started when he first began to EAT, and he wasn't counting the time it took to walk to the store and buy a sandwich, then go to the park to eat it...it sounds unbelievable to some of us, but some people have just never learned some of the things we think are basic common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 09:51 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i know that there are nonprofits dedicated to providing homeless and very low income people with professional clothes for interviews and jobs. i'm sure they'd also connect people to resources for cleaning up before an interview as well. some are focused on women, but there are others that serve both women and men.

here's one i found by googling "professional clothes low income"

Clothing & Connections | Self-Sufficiency Center
Also well-known is "Dress For Success", which primarily helps women who are trying to get off of welfare or who came out of domestic violence situations and are trying to get into the workforce. Dress For Success asks for donations of women's business attire.

Home - Dress for Success

Old 08-09-2013, 11:54 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Now that's a different story than just having the attitude that it shouldn't matter. It's also a sticky situation and hard for the average person to accept.

There's a good interview in last month's The Sun magazine with a man, a former prisoner, who helps prisoners try to get jobs and stay out of jail once they are released. Many of them are clueless as to how the real world works. As one example, he said one guy who came to their org claimed he was fired just because he was black and the boss was white. On further investigation, the guy was fired because he constantly took much longer than his allotted lunch hour--a reasonable excuse to sack somebody. However, in the employee's mind, his lunch hour started when he first began to EAT, and he wasn't counting the time it took to walk to the store and buy a sandwich, then go to the park to eat it...it sounds unbelievable to some of us, but some people have just never learned some of the things we think are basic common sense.
This is what I'm trying to say in this thread.

There are soooooooooo many factors in WHY a person is the way they are short of the usual (i.e., mental illness, addict, etc.).

Of course it SHOULD matter, but when you KNOW better you DO better.

Unfortunately, many people do not.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Also well-known is "Dress For Success", which primarily helps women who are trying to get off of welfare or who came out of domestic violence situations and are trying to get into the workforce. Dress For Success asks for donations of women's business attire.

Home - Dress for Success
Mightyqueen, I know all about Dress for Success and Bottomless Closet. They're wonderful organizations, but you can only get access to them through a "referral" from a NYC HRA sponsored program.

Now here's the rub which I tried to say in other posts, NYC's Public Assistance standards are so strict and subversive that many people who truly need the clothes and help will NEVER see those places.

People in other cities and states fair much better. Even other parts of NY state the poor are treated better and will have the help that many of you talk about in this thread.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
i know that there are nonprofits dedicated to providing homeless and very low income people with professional clothes for interviews and jobs. i'm sure they'd also connect people to resources for cleaning up before an interview as well. some are focused on women, but there are others that serve both women and men.

here's one i found by googling "professional clothes low income"

Clothing & Connections | Self-Sufficiency Center

Thanks Groar. I didn't read it, but I will pass it along.

The negatives with many organizations in NYC is that they all seem to be affiliated with NYC's Human Resources Administration in some way and they won't deal with an individual directly like other cities.

I hope it's not the same with the place you listed.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Give me a break. There are ways to dress better for a job interview if you don't have money. You can go to the local thrift shop or a church or other organization that collects and gives out clothing. One of our local organizations collects good used clothing and gives it out once a month--I'm sure there are very few places in this country where there aren't similar organizations. The woman who runs the one where I volunteer said just recently that a guy from the neighborhood came knocking on her door--it was a couple of weeks away from the clothing giveaway day, but he had a job interview and needed something to wear. They found something and sent him on his way dressed appropriately, and he got the job.
Like I said before, NYC is different. I know in other cities you can get free clothes, but it's very difficult to do in NYC.

Think I'm lying? Try to find a place here if you can. It's very difficult.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:22 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Like I said before, NYC is different. I know in other cities you can get free clothes, but it's very difficult to do in NYC.

Think I'm lying? Try to find a place here if you can. It's very difficult.
Home - Dress for Success

Old 08-09-2013, 12:24 PM

NYCWasteLess: Clothing Products and Services

Old 08-09-2013, 12:25 PM

New York, homeless - New York Listing Of Places That Help With FREE Clothing For Homeless And Low Income - Aidpage

Old 08-09-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Yes, I know about them, but you need to be REFERRED by a CITY RUN AGENCY here in NYC.

They will NOT see you otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search