U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 02:33 PM

9,901 posts, read 8,175,656 times

Advertisements

For those who've accepted job applications or performed job interviews, what are some of the horrible outfits applicants have worn and the type of job they were applying for?

The boiler room where I work is just down the hall from the hospital's housekeeping department so I regularly see the people applying for work. Since housekeeping is a fairly low level employment, the managers there have a lower standard of dress when people come to apply. Talking with them, they said they're fine with jeans (no holes, good condition solid jeans), shorts or skirts that goes down to mid-thigh or lower but not tight, short/long sleeve pullover or button down shirt (also in good condition without holes). What they don't expect is skin tight short shorts or mini-mini skirts, skin tight see thru top with no bra, spagetti strap top with thick bra straps of a different color exposed, 4 inch spiked heels, button down shirt with only one button buttoned to expose either the belly or the boobs, 8 months pregnant with half shirt, or reeking like she dumped an entire bottle of perfume on herself.

When I was applying for mechanical related jobs, I had a set of dark navy blue Dickies shirts and pants, leather belt, and black leather work shoes. My theory was to apply for the job dressed as if you're ready to start working that very day. If the application was at a separate office, I'd wear dark blue jeans (not faded or with holes) or khakis and a nice shirt. I'd wear the Dickies to the interview. When I was applying for non-mechanical work, I'd wear ironed khaki pants, nice shirt, deck or casual dress shoes. Was not applying for office type jobs at the time. These were discount department store/retail type jobs at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 02:40 PM

12,589 posts, read 15,058,526 times
I was a hiring manager at a Silicon Valley firm years ago. I would interview customer facing support/service engineers for high paid positions (85K+ bonus to start). Some of the candidates that came in should have never even bothered to apply. I had a guy who came in who did not shave or likely even shower in the morning (his hair looked like he just woke up). Another smelled as if his clothes had never been washed. When I asked him: "why did you leave your last job?" His reply: "my boss said that I smelled funny."

Old 08-06-2013, 02:46 PM

10,077 posts, read 14,022,562 times
In Boulder, no joke I have seen IT managers where shorts, t shirt, and flip flops. Not all the time, but more than you would think. One guy, no BS, was taking bong hits when my SM showed up and just said excuse and came back in 5 min like nothing happened. Just classic.

ccm-that's more common that you think. My wife does software testing and some of the PM's don't use deodorant or take a shower every day.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:54 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,921,574 times
My husband is in retail management and I worked in corporate, usually in accounting.

He has seen them come in sweaty with shorts and t shirts on for interviews. There's a lot of, "Oh hey man how are ya?". He has lowered his standards now to clean jeans and a nice shirt.

I don't see stuff like that but I did see a lot of very skimpy outfits for interviews. The worst one was platform heels, tube skirt and a tight button up blouse with most of it unbuttoned to show cleavage. And this was for an executive position at a world wide headquarters type corporation. It was so bad that my boss wrote, "Formal Business Attire Required" as part of the job description hoping it would deter these type of outfits. Nope.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:24 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,408,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post

I don't see stuff like that but I did see a lot of very skimpy outfits for interviews. The worst one was platform heels, tube skirt and a tight button up blouse with most of it unbuttoned to show cleavage. And this was for an executive position at a world wide headquarters type corporation. It was so bad that my boss wrote, "Formal Business Attire Required" as part of the job description hoping it would deter these type of outfits. Nope.

I think you're confusing cleavage with the mail slot.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I was a hiring manager at a Silicon Valley firm years ago. I would interview customer facing support/service engineers for high paid positions (85K+ bonus to start). Some of the candidates that came in should have never even bothered to apply. I had a guy who came in who did not shave or likely even shower in the morning (his hair looked like he just woke up). Another smelled as if his clothes had never been washed. When I asked him: "why did you leave your last job?" His reply: "my boss said that I smelled funny."
Even in mechanical related jobs, that's not acceptable. Because we work at a hospital, generally, we're told not to use cologne. But that doesn't mean we can't use soap and deodorant. We're also expected to stay relatively clean shaven due to sometimes having to wear respirators. Some of the guys will grow a goatee but still have to keep it clean and trim.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:33 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,921,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I think you're confusing cleavage with the mail slot.
Actually I think Cha-Ching!

Old 08-06-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Actually I think Cha-Ching!
I wonder if they think the boss has a stripper pole in the office

Old 08-06-2013, 03:39 PM

3,567 posts, read 2,392,013 times
A few years back I was interviewing candidates for an assistant's position and one young lady came in with a a scarf (tied Aunt Jemima style) around her head, a business suit and flip flops!

Another young lady wore a sweater and leggings (they were way too tight for slacks) and wore her hair in some psychotic looking ponytail. This was for a law firm by the way.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:40 PM

10,077 posts, read 14,022,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I wonder if they think the boss has a stripper pole in the office
Well you know the saying.....sex sells. It's so competitive that people will work any angle they can get. Usually when I go into a business it seems, no offense to anyone, that the female temps working receptionist dress the worst. I interviewed at a Fortune 100 and they had a temp with platform heels and and leopard skin mini skirt. I started to say something nice about her, rapport building, to SM and he's said no trashy temp she will be gone soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search