U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 04:51 PM

12,120 posts, read 28,529,638 times

Advertisements

if you had a criminal history (not saying you do) and the company did not use a reporting company and instead did the criminal check in-house they would not be obligated to tell you why you were rejected

but if they used a company they would have to tell you why you didn't get the job, what items in the report caused the rejection and the name of the company that reported it

Old 08-06-2013, 05:02 PM

8,760 posts, read 10,829,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
That's not true. The background check is to make sure that everything you put in your resume and application is actually correct. They most certainly verify education and work history.
Additionally, many are checking social networking sites. Some of the bizarre stuff out there really doesn't make a very good impression on potential employers.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:04 PM

10,075 posts, read 14,007,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Additionally, many are checking social networking sites. Some of the bizarre stuff out there really doesn't make a very good impression on potential employers.
Thanks for reminding me why I dumped FB.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:43 PM

20,180 posts, read 12,100,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
That's not true. The background check is to make sure that everything you put in your resume and application is actually correct. They most certainly verify education and work history.
I am an expert at this- and I will tell you, the data is retrieved according what each company wants from all public records and within the time frame- say the last 7 yrs... state law takes precedence. Some states wont let you ask for past criminal.. What they ask for is what they pay for, so some companies ask less and some more.
There are at least 30 different companies dishing out this data, if you are denied the job they MUST give you the number to the back ground place and then good LUCK... reason I say that, because you can fix the data on xyz company but maybe NOT in BYC company and so forth. They share the bad but not corrections. It's horrible,,, and to me totally unfair unless you want to be a cop, banker or someone in a high position who is better than our politicians, they can be real crooks and run for office. There was a good documentary some time back and it took you behind the scenes. It was pretty true to life of how it works. I believe law enforcement should know who you are or were for public safety... but the rest - job ability, good driving record, job ethics, education, references from last job should suffice.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:13 PM

8,788 posts, read 13,274,979 times
Work history is tough to verify other than calling the companies you listed on your application. There is no database of what jobs you worked when other than perhaps at the IRS but those records are not disclosed. Credit reports show accounts statuses debt load and utilization not employers. There are some large databases like the work number but not all companies use them.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:23 PM

7,216 posts, read 12,651,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusFlowerBombbbb View Post
First off I didn't receive any type of letter in the mail and no word from the company in which I applied. I called to check on my background check after a few weeks had passed and the employer informed me that I did not get the job due to my background check. When I asked why she replied, " I don't know. We get a yes or no response from our corporate office." ...I thought once an error shows up I'm supposed to be contacted so I can try to fix the issue if I feel there was one. I have no criminal history. The company I applied for communicates for death people through the relay telecommunications. I'm not sure what the background check includes but I thought a background check only consisted of criminal history and probably credit seeing how your work and education history are non-public matters.
OP, it's a little, well, disingenuous to pretend you have absolutely no idea what could have happened ... when in your other post (which another poster on this thread found) you admit that you got fired from two out of your last three jobs, and you didn't include those two on your application.

(And please, DEAF not death!!)

Old 08-06-2013, 09:53 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,541,035 times
Also, many companies are now checking credit ratings. If you have a bad one they fear you will steal from them or are vulnerable to lawsuits or something that will make you a difficult employee. Especially if the position you are applying for has ANYTHING to do with money (using a cash register, dealing with budgets, having access to company financial info, etc.)

Old 08-06-2013, 10:08 PM

10,075 posts, read 14,007,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Also, many companies are now checking credit ratings. If you have a bad one they fear you will steal from them or are vulnerable to lawsuits or something that will make you a difficult employee. Especially if the position you are applying for has ANYTHING to do with money (using a cash register, dealing with budgets, having access to company financial info, etc.)
The real irony is often those will the most steal the greatest amounts look at Wall Street or DC lobbyists.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:20 PM

17,000 posts, read 20,661,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
OP, it's a little, well, disingenuous to pretend you have absolutely no idea what could have happened ... when in your other post (which another poster on this thread found) you admit that you got fired from two out of your last three jobs, and you didn't include those two on your application.

(And please, DEAF not death!!)

Exactly, in addition the OP posted under two different names but made the same typo about death instead of deaf....LOL.

Shamey shame.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:31 PM

849 posts, read 1,580,886 times
errors happen all the time. here's a scary story:

Rossen Reports: Background check firms making errors - today > news - today > news > rossen_reports - TODAY.com

smh. big data is good...most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or