U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2013, 05:38 PM

874 posts, read 1,077,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
It seems to me that "moving forward" in this case = more interviews.
Have you tried contacting the HR/recruiter?
This.

I don't see how you 'unofficially' got the job anywhere. It ain't over until the fat lady sings -- when you get and sign a contract.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 06:22 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,285,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycguy825 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I've gone on two separate interviews for a position, and have written a 'thank you' email to each and everyone I've met along the way.

On July 31, I wrote a follow-up email to the hiring manager/director of the program (who I met on the first interview), re-stating my interest in the position, that I really got along with everyone that I met, and that I know that I'd be an extremely viable asset to the department. She responded a few hours later (on July 31), stating (copied and pasted):

"We are very interested in you moving forward with a position within the ______. I am coordinating with two of our executive faculty to see if they and HR can meet with you in the coming week or two. I will be on vacation from _____ - _________, so would like to have something on the calendar for you before I go.

Iíll be in touch soon with more detail."

I wrote back to the director on the following day, 08/01 (simply thanking her), and then again on 08/06 - the day before she left on vacation (checking to see if any additional information was needed on my behalf before something's set up - obviously really just wanting to see what's up!?); no response from either email.

I know that the person is away on vacation from today until next week Wednesday...

It certainly sounded promising - but I haven't gotten a response from her via either email...

How do you guys think that I should proceed???

Thanks in advance!!!

I didn't see the point of you thanking her again when she had just responded to the email you sent on 7/31 with detailed information. Then you sent another email on 8/6 which to me started showing a little desperation. I think you should have waited 3 or 4 days after her vacation to contact since you knew the date she was returning. And that should have been a voicemail after business hours and then you would wait to hear back.

But to me you sent to many emails but hopefully you are still in the running

Old 08-07-2013, 06:46 PM

5,910 posts, read 6,708,989 times
Folks, and this doesn't necessarily relate to the OP, I am going to broadly give you all some painful information.

We are in a VERY tough job market. Unemployment is running in the high teens. That means that one out of six of you is NOT going to find work. Count six of your friends: one of you is going to be out of work.

Because we are in a very difficult job market, demand for employees is way down. Well, duh, you might say. But turn it around: the economy is flat; so many people are unemployed; so there is very little demand for products; which means there is very little demand for employees. Look at the earnings from Coke, McDonalds, Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, and AT&T: They all showed signs of revenue (sales) slowing. We are in a flat economy, and corporations are squeezing out every last penny of margin which they can in order to make their numbers. Which means they are squeezing out employees.

Okay. So you saw an ad for a job. It might be real, or it might be a regulatory posture. Or something else. We want to promote a white man, but we have to show that we tried to hire a black woman for the job before we promote the white man. So we advertise the job with no intention of 'finding' an acceptable candidate. All of you who are qualified for the job is wonderful; we aint hiring anybody. Great interview. I like you. You are just what we are looking for. If we were going to hire anyone.

HR folks get tired of telling people no, no, no. How would you like to do that all day long? Tell a thousand people 'no', you aren't hired, when you know the people are on their last dime and really need the work?

They don't, so they spin everyone along. It makes them hurt less; it makes you hurt less. Until reality sets in that you aren't going to be hired. "I have to clear it with my boss. I am on vacation until hell freezes over. We love you, and as soon as the budget comes through (never), we are going to hire you".

Never. And for every one of you that is 'going to be hired', there are a thousand other in the same boat. We love you!

Folks, we are in a horrible economic mess. Staring down the barrel of deflation. It hurts now. It is going to hurt a whole lot worse in the future. The wealthy have not yet been tagged, bit when they are, look out. They are NOT going to be happy, and they have the ability (and the politicians in their pockets) to make your life miserable for a long time before they finally succumb to eating PB&J sandwiches. You are just a pawn. A taxpaying fool. Supporting their lifestyle.

So what do you do? You interview. You write letters. You plead, beg and cajole. You do everything you possibly can do to get hired. Somewhere. Anywhere. But you also can't be hurt by rejection, as hurtful as it is. For every job that you are absolutely the perfect candidate, there are at least a thousand others who are perfect, and 25,000 others who didn't even get a second look. The numbers are unimaginably stacked against you. Understand it. But don't accept it, because you have to eat.

I know this is not what you want to hear, but someone had to say it. We read post after post after post about 'they told me I am the one', and then "poof", they vaporize, and I feel horrible. They don't write, they don't call', they don't love me like they said they did. Move on. It's not you. It's not them. There are NO jobs.

It's called a depression. We're just too PC to allow anyone to say it.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:38 AM

16,720 posts, read 14,688,308 times
This is exactly what I have been saying. So many posters commenting on how rude it is they weren't called back. Another complaining that they have to wear neutral tones to an interview. Others angry about The Final Sales Pitch question in an interview.

Am I crazy? I know I'm not the only one that wonders where these job applicants have gotten their sense of entitlement? And these are people of all ages and education.

If you want a job, you have to work for it. You have to sell yourself, you have to answer that big question, you have to dress appropriately, you have to spit out the gum, women should wear hose with a suit, men should wear a tie, smokers should not smoke in a closed space the day of the interview (because it makes them smell like smoke), etc.

The job search is not for your comfort. The employer wants the best person they can get for the job. You can of course, believe what you want. But you are still unemployed. How is that working for you?

Old 08-09-2013, 08:53 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,708,350 times
i'm not sure why saying "wouldn't it be nice if employers didn't treat applicants like dirt" or "this interview question is stupid" translates to a sense of entitlement. the fact that the economy sucks gives employers the upper hand, but that doesn't make it right for them to act unprofessionally. you can observe and comment on problems and at the same time realize that you need to do what you need to do to get a job.

since i've been talking about 2 of the 3 things you're citing here, i'll just point out that i've been unemployed for a total of 2 months since i started working almost 20 years ago. i just started a new job 3 weeks ago, which i got while i was still employed at my previous job.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:26 PM

35 posts, read 39,661 times
Leave it alone Booboo, otherwise it becomes annoying. I would continue to apply to other positions because if they truly want you, you will receive a phone call from HR with an offer of employment. Otherwise, I would not really trust anything she said until you get that phone call.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:43 PM

929 posts, read 1,487,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycguy825 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I've gone on two separate interviews for a position, and have written a 'thank you' email to each and everyone I've met along the way.

On July 31, I wrote a follow-up email to the hiring manager/director of the program (who I met on the first interview), re-stating my interest in the position, that I really got along with everyone that I met, and that I know that I'd be an extremely viable asset to the department. She responded a few hours later (on July 31), stating (copied and pasted):

"We are very interested in you moving forward with a position within the ______. I am coordinating with two of our executive faculty to see if they and HR can meet with you in the coming week or two. I will be on vacation from _____ - _________, so would like to have something on the calendar for you before I go.

Iíll be in touch soon with more detail."

I wrote back to the director on the following day, 08/01 (simply thanking her), and then again on 08/06 - the day before she left on vacation (checking to see if any additional information was needed on my behalf before something's set up - obviously really just wanting to see what's up!?); no response from either email.

I know that the person is away on vacation from today until next week Wednesday...

It certainly sounded promising - but I haven't gotten a response from her via either email...

How do you guys think that I should proceed???

Thanks in advance!!!
THIS HAPPENED TO ME LAST MONTH! She called me to tell me they were "moving forward", gave me information about benefits, time off, salary, and my schedule. She said she'd call me the next day to "finalize" everything.

She e-mailed me the two days later to tell me the job had been offered to someone else in-house!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or