U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 08:13 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,203,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
No money to relocate. Live with parents
Where do you live?

You can do freelance work off of Craigslist. Look at job ads for a Web Designer and build up the skills needed for those job ads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 09:03 PM

22,554 posts, read 47,341,275 times
Quote:
I'm growing very frustrated. I graduated from school with a certificate in Multimedia Design Technology. I have certifications in Adobe Dreamweaver and Photoshop which according to my advisors should be enough to land me a job. I worked my ass off taking these tests and passing them and now these tests, and these certificates in Adobe mean nothing now.

I go through many interviews and got turned down on each attempt. I got rejected from 2 Graphic/Web Design jobs, and 2 internships. It's been especially hard to find a job that doesn't say "Need 8 years of Graphic Design Experience + 4 year degree." Even Entry level jobs require 2 years of experience. [ What's the purpose of entry level again?!]

I got rejected for not passing an aptitude test which consists of solving 40 math questions in 12 minutes.(Mostly College Algebra) What the hell does that have to do with creating websites or designing art for clients?

I want to create art to wow my audience. I want to create mind blowing websites. But I want a job. I want to eventually get out of my parent's house and make a living. And at this point, I'm on the verge of giving up finding work. I feel like traveling up to 20 miles from my house to a job interview where I have no guarantee of finding work becomes a big waste of time. I got huge rejection calls / letters where I just want to cry, yell at a toddler and kick someone's car. I've been doing this for one year, and I'm on the verge of throwing the towel.

Going back to college is out of the question, because I cannot afford college.

I need help on what to do before I break down and cry.
Quote:
I've read about networking when I was reading up on freelancing guides. I have a facebook account, a twitter account, and linkedIn account, all of which I don't even know how to use, let alone have any followers/likes.

I don't know how to network
Um, what?

Are you having us on?

Old 08-07-2013, 09:10 PM

475 posts, read 721,361 times
Why not take your passion for art and design and learn a skill like welding? I know it's not computer but it's sculpting with metal. It's design, art, and creativity. Blue collar skills all though not as glamorous usually pay decent and there is always an opening somewhere for a job. I am blue collar, make a good living and happy.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:15 PM

43,220 posts, read 41,812,025 times
Wait, how can you say you want to create mind-blowing websites, but you don't even know how to use basic social media??

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 08-07-2013 at 09:31 PM..

Old 08-07-2013, 09:16 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,739,176 times
Quote:
I'm growing very frustrated. I graduated from school with a certificate in Multimedia Design Technology. I have certifications in Adobe Dreamweaver and Photoshop which according to my advisors should be enough to land me a job. I worked my ass off taking these tests and passing them and now these tests, and these certificates in Adobe mean nothing now.

I go through many interviews and got turned down on each attempt. I got rejected from 2 Graphic/Web Design jobs, and 2 internships. It's been especially hard to find a job that doesn't say "Need 8 years of Graphic Design Experience + 4 year degree." Even Entry level jobs require 2 years of experience. [ What's the purpose of entry level again?!]

I got rejected for not passing an aptitude test which consists of solving 40 math questions in 12 minutes.(Mostly College Algebra) What the hell does that have to do with creating websites or designing art for clients?

I want to create art to wow my audience. I want to create mind blowing websites. But I want a job. I want to eventually get out of my parent's house and make a living. And at this point, I'm on the verge of giving up finding work. I feel like traveling up to 20 miles from my house to a job interview where I have no guarantee of finding work becomes a big waste of time. I got huge rejection calls / letters where I just want to cry, yell at a toddler and kick someone's car. I've been doing this for one year, and I'm on the verge of throwing the towel.

Going back to college is out of the question, because I cannot afford college.

I need help on what to do before I break down and cry.
Sounds like me, after I graduated from college.

My solution was very simple on paper, but certainly more difficult in reality:

Step 1) I found what I loved doing.

An easy way to determine this is to answer these two questions: What do you do in your free time? What would you do if you could be paid $100,000,000 per year for doing anything, as long as it was something productive? (Or, maybe you could consider a variant of that one: What is something you could never see yourself being able to give up? Something you'd do for the fun of it, perhaps by yourself if not with/for others, even if you didn't get paid for doing so?)

Step 2) I figured out how to make money doing it.

This may or may not involve having a job. If you can't get a job, then start doing your own designing. Start making your own mind-blowing websites. Go freelance, register a business name, join some networking groups, make calls, send out mailers, etc... employ yourself if nobody else is willing to employ you.

Step 3) I tweaked things along the way, based upon conditions that changed and/or upon my own changing perceptions of what I did.

I started out teaching music lessons and leading music for church... then I added DJing and live performances... these days, just over 10 years after I put step 1 into action, I'm focusing on live performances. I'd go back to leading church music if/when I decide to settle down and stop touring... I might teach music lessons again... probably won't DJ much more, if at all. You find out what you really love doing.

And you might just find out that doing things your way, for yourself, is more fulfilling than having a job where someone else tells you what to do. Who knows. That way of life is not for everyone... but when nobody is willing to give you a job, and you need money, you have to employ yourself.

As for that math test, perhaps the job would've involved more than just graphic design... even if they didn't tell you that right away. (Human resources people are crafty too. They're not going to tell you about the aspects of the job that will suck. That's up to you to find out, if they decide to hire you.) If you wouldn't want to do a job that involves that much math, maybe you were saved by failing that math test.

By the way, I don't use social media. Never have, never will. I posted some pictures on Facebook for people to view when I gave them the link to the page, but I never used social media to generate business. I never had to. It's very highly overrated. I've found that doing things differently from the way most people do them yields huge results. You know who else has found that to be true?

Warren Buffett.

So don't lament not knowing how to operate social media. Do you have a website online that people can see, as a testimonial to the quality of the work you can do?

Old 08-07-2013, 09:23 PM

2,612 posts, read 4,767,267 times
Quote:
I've read about networking when I was reading up on freelancing guides. I have a facebook account, a twitter account, and linkedIn account, all of which I don't even know how to use, let alone have any followers/likes.

I don't know how to network
Well, I think I see one of the major problems. What kind of computer media professional doesn't have an active online presence?? You should not only be using those accounts, but you should be blogging, writing for internet magazines, and you should have your own amazing website to showcase your talents. There should be an online portfolio, perhaps some "how to" articles, reviews, etc. Have you done any of that, or were you just banking on get a job with a couple of certifications?

Old 08-07-2013, 09:24 PM

305 posts, read 493,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Well, I think I see one of the major problems. What kind of computer media professional doesn't have an active online presence?? You should not only be using those accounts, but you should be blogging, writing for internet magazines, and you should have your own amazing website to showcase your talents. There should be an online portfolio, perhaps some "how to" articles, reviews, etc. Have you done any of that, or were you just banking on get a job with a couple of certifications?
I have a website. I've used linkedin, but never twitter or facebook.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:31 PM

Did you get your certificates online?

Old 08-07-2013, 09:33 PM

305 posts, read 493,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Did you get your certificates online?
Yes, I did.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:46 PM

Ok. Well, certificates don't get you hired. Talent and relationships get you hired.

You need to find a way to meet people who need your talent.

So you need to get out and forge relationships that can lead to employment. Networking is a necessary evil, but it is not that bad. It's just small talk, getting to know people.

SO you go out and get a money-making job in ANY field, just so you get paid. An you meet people and pay attention and listen when they talk. If someone mentions that his wife needs to hire someone who can design _____ for a project at work, you inquire. Look at small companies that may not have to budget to hire ad agencies and PR agencies but would love to have a professional web presence.

These days everyone freelances. It's just the nature of the creative professions. But you have to ACTIVELY SEEK JOBS. You have to lose the sense of entitlement and work hard to get work.

The main thing you need to do, though, is save so you can get a degree. To be truthful, online certificates don't mean much in your field. While earning your degree, you also will have access to connected professionals (the teachers) who can help you network in the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or