U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 09:47 PM

2,839 posts, read 5,000,692 times

Advertisements

Get a job doing anything, and then go from there. I have a master's and at one point I was washing dishes to make money at a lab, 4 months later I found a better job. Now, years later, I make pretty good money and am working on getting promoted where I am. The boss I have now is pushing for my promotion.

You did it online? Is it actually accredited? I had a friend get an online degree, only to find employers don't count it because it doesn't have the right accreditation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 11:51 PM

4,649 posts, read 6,494,677 times
Currently for the next ten years there will be 10,000 people retiring everyday for the next ten years. get a Life/Health insurance license along with a series 65 securities license (Investment advisor representative) and build up some assets under management (AUM) and you can have the chance to make as much as you want or need.

I'm not going to say it will be easy because some people are just not made for sales but it is an option. The main consideration is what is your main objective. Is it to make a income and live on your own or work in your field of study?

Old 08-08-2013, 07:29 AM

566 posts, read 882,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Have you considered relocating? Jobs in other parts of the country?

Energy and our freedom from foreign countries for oil, is a BIG market these days. I know of two HUGE construction companies *corporate, that are hiring kids right out of school with NO experience. (And majors in everything BUT construction/engineering).

Texas has a BIG ole energy construction community. East coast, too.

Wind farms going up. Need transmission lines to take energy to communities. Need proraters. Insurance folks. Legal. Lots of money to spend. Utility companies, too.

It is a very serious market right now.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:22 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,902,755 times
Yeah, count me as shocked about you not knowing how to use Facebook, Twitter, etc. Someone who is into media, design, web, etc not knowing how to use those? That makes no sense. Even most 14 year olds know how to use those. There's hardly anything to understand. I created my Facebook and learned it in like, 20 minutes. I don't know how anyone could get hired in that field if they don't know how to use those sites.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:45 AM

1,263 posts, read 2,776,119 times
You said you graduated with certificates, and they were obtained online. Did you get an actual bachelor's degree?

In your title, you mentioned a year - did you mean you hadn't found a job in one year, or your school program was only one year long? How long did you go to school?

Last edited by LOL_Whut; 08-08-2013 at 09:54 AM..

Old 08-08-2013, 09:55 AM

20,419 posts, read 37,723,386 times
Online certificates are barely worth the paper they are printed on.

You need to get at the very least an associate's degree.
You need to learn to use social media.
You need to network, getting you and your work out there.
You need to freelance.

My son was employed right out of college (BFA Media Arts). He uses social media to the hilt, networks and freelances.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:37 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,571,497 times
So, you got rejejected 4 times... What did you expect????

If you really really needed money, how about going to a temp agency and just accept whatever they got? But my guess is, mom and dad pay your bills and wash your clothes....

That is how it works in the real world, employers are not, and never wil line up for you.
And giving up, what is that?????? Never even tried that one.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:16 PM

305 posts, read 495,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Online certificates are barely worth the paper they are printed on.

You need to get at the very least an associate's degree.
You need to learn to use social media.
You need to network, getting you and your work out there.
You need to freelance.

My son was employed right out of college (BFA Media Arts). He uses social media to the hilt, networks and freelances.
I actually went to a physical school and got a technical certificate. I had my online certificates for certain computer software that again was supposed to increase my employment chances. These certificates were basically from all of my exams I took when I was in school.

And yes I graduated a year ago, and the school is from the state.

Last edited by Cynthetik; 08-08-2013 at 06:36 PM..

Old 08-08-2013, 06:36 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,434,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
I actually went to a physical school and got a technical certificate. I had my online certificates for certain computer software that again was supposed to increase my employment chances. These certificates were basically from all of my exams I took when I was in school.

And yes I graduated a year ago, and I only ran into a minimum wage job that my family did not approve of.
Why do you care if your family approves of the minimum wage job? You need money. You're no longer a teenager, so you don't need their approval. Let me guess, they pay your bills for you and your like 24.

I would just take any job you can get and stop relying on mom so much. You can always keep looking for work in the field you love. Then, there is elance.com for freelance work.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:11 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,776,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post

And yes I graduated a year ago, and the school is from the state.
So it sounds like you have a few certificates, but not a bachelor's degree? I think a lot of people in this thread are assuming you have a degree.

With no degree and no industry experience, you're going to need to create an a-typical path for yourself. Graphic design is an incredibly competitive field - you may need to start with unpaid consulting and build a portfolio.

Did your advisers from this certificate program tell you you'd be competitive in graphic design without a degree? Did they give you job placement rates for other certificate holders from your school? What do they recommend their "graduates" do to get a job in a field as competitive as graphic design?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or