U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 07:51 PM

66 posts, read 97,287 times

Advertisements

It is really hard to be a graphic designer of websites because it is a very popular field. So many people want to do that. I suggest taking any job you can find for the experience. What about a government job? You can apply for some of those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 09:31 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,737,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhuu View Post
It is really hard to be a graphic designer of websites because it is a very popular field. So many people want to do that. I suggest taking any job you can find for the experience. What about a government job? You can apply for some of those.
Even government jobs tend to require experience. I couldn't get any government jobs when I was a senior, about to graduate... for that reason.

My ex-wife's sister married an aspiring graphic designer and I saw what he did to advance his prospects. He designed shirts for Threadless.com, and after dozens of designs actually won a contest with prize money and got his shirts produced. He entered contest after contest, and though he lost most of them, he had the occasional win. He won one where the job was to design a poster for a concert series in New York City... since he won, he got an all-expenses-paid trip to NYC to attend the concert series.

The truth is that graphic design work is everywhere... but graphic design jobs are not. Learn how to operate the various Adobe software products for graphic design... I forget their names. Produce, produce, produce. Do whatever you can. Someone mentioned Elance.com - yes. Advertise on Craigslist. Enter lots of contests. Contact businesses, churches, non-profits, et al. which appear not to have logos, and offer to design a logo for them. It'll give you practice, if nothing else, and it will help you to build your portfolio.

But I have to agree with the other posters on this thread. Graphic design is EXTREMELY competitive. However, everyone needs it. So get out there and start competing.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:38 PM

305 posts, read 492,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
So it sounds like you have a few certificates, but not a bachelor's degree? I think a lot of people in this thread are assuming you have a degree.

With no degree and no industry experience, you're going to need to create an a-typical path for yourself. Graphic design is an incredibly competitive field - you may need to start with unpaid consulting and build a portfolio.

Did your advisers from this certificate program tell you you'd be competitive in graphic design without a degree? Did they give you job placement rates for other certificate holders from your school? What do they recommend their "graduates" do to get a job in a field as competitive as graphic design?
Unfortunately, no they didn't. As much as I love designing, if I knew if it was going to be competitive, I wouldn't have bothered. They didn't tell me anything other than teaching me how to make a resume, how to conduct myself in interviews.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:30 AM

20,419 posts, read 37,622,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
As much as I love designing, if I knew if it was going to be competitive, I wouldn't have bothered.
Any non-minimum-wage job will be competitive! There WILL be many applicants for the same job.

It sounds like you don't care to BE competitive, that you don't want to make much of an effort....

Old 08-09-2013, 07:10 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,737,293 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, no they didn't. As much as I love designing, if I knew if it was going to be competitive, I wouldn't have bothered. They didn't tell me anything other than teaching me how to make a resume, how to conduct myself in interviews.
Cynthetik, if you wouldn't have bothered with graphic design had you known in advance that it was going to be really competitive, it sounds to me like you really don't have a passion for graphic design... at least not beyond "man, I worked for these certificates and now I want a frickin' JOB so I can get money!". People with passion don't care about how competitive their field is, because they figure some people have success and they can be among that elite cadre.

Come on. I'm a musician. Talk about a competitive field. People who can't even play instruments are competing in the field of music because it has devolved to the point where anyone who is even minimally computer-handy can produce what modern Americans numbly call "music" just by playing around with various programs. But, within that competitive field, there are niches. I've found more than one, and have achieved decent levels of success within.

What IS your passion? If you could do anything productive in the world, without needing any (further) degrees / certificates / experience, and could make tons of money doing it, what would it be?

Old 08-09-2013, 07:16 AM

325 posts, read 930,440 times
Did I read that right, " I got rejected from 2 Graphic/Web Design jobs, and 2 internships."

That's not a lot. You should read your history, and find out what life was like during the Great Depression (literally, people sent up tents in Central Park to survive). The simple truth is that starting out, well, sucks. But you have a roof over your head, a home base, and are trying to work in your field. Plenty of people don't get to do what they want or what they went to school for (myself included). But keep trying, build up your portfolio, do some spec work, volunteer somewhere that needs your help, and you'll find something. But throwing in the towel because you didn't one of 4 jobs?

Old 08-09-2013, 09:26 AM

38,097 posts, read 14,885,535 times
You don't know how to use social media but are seeking a job in that field. You wouldn't have bothered with graphic design training if you knew how competitive it was and you're discouraged because it has been a year since your instructors told you this was a slam dunk and you're still unemployed and living with your folks.

Let me guess. You got your degree from a for-profit college that enticed you with tales of their graduates pulling big bucks right out of school.

These places are scams. The default rate on their student loans is so high that they are regularly investigated by the feds. You are not the first person to taken in by their flim flam.

It's been a year and not only do you not have a job, you don't even have a website. Time to chalk this up to experience, and figure out a career that you do have a passion and aptitude for.

Make an appt. at the career center of your local college and ask for some career testing. It's free. Meet with a counselor to discuss your scores and the careers that you seem to be a good fit, then get online and see if anyone is searching for employees in this field.

You say you cannot go back to school, but can you not afford to? What are your options here?

If you owe a bunch of money for these useless certificates, don't want work a minimum wage job, and can't afford to go back to school, then throw your sleeping bag in the car and head to the oil fields in the Dakotas before the weather turns nippy.

I'm not kidding. You will have a grand adventure and if you are work wise at all, will make a bunch of money.

Good luck.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:17 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,769,334 times
Quote:
Honestly, I think you got suckered into a bad program. I'll bet hardly any of their certificate holders are working in graphic design - they probably end up as receptionists if they get anywhere near an advertizing or design firm.

I know one graphic designer who makes a living in the field. He has a bachelors degree from a prestigious college, and his rich parents knew people who gave him his first job. He makes 6 figures, but he would probably be unemployed if his parents were normal people without fancy business connections.

Your computer certificates are probably worth more than your graphic design certificate.

Why don't you look into computer help desk jobs, maybe at a phone bank if there is one near you. Or work at the computer dept at a large electronics store.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:35 PM

1,067 posts, read 980,830 times
it takes time...and as others said here very competitive!
I have a diploma in Tourism from 2009 and finally just got a job in my field working for an airline where
its hard to get a job at some im very thankful...patience, perserverance and passion are key!
I agree with the poster that said go to a career college and talk to a career counsellor maybe graphic design really isn't for you....bite the bullet my friend!

Old 08-09-2013, 06:34 PM

2,135 posts, read 3,678,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
If you "throw in the towel" what is your next step?
I've never understood this mindset.

Especially at a young age. I mean your fricken 20 years old....what are you going to do for 60 years untl you die! Sit at home with your parents and be a fat slob...winner winner chicken dinner!

Ill work 3 Mcjobs with as many hours as I can before I "give up". Giving up will get you NOWHERE....at least trying will get you SOMEWHERE.

What has society come to....I can't get a job at the age of 20 years old....just kill me now because I have to sit at home with my parents and they provide me food/home and love and I at least have my parents who are still alive.....but oh no I'm doomed!

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or