Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 07:32 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,808,755 times

Advertisements

Excerpts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
I got rejected for not passing an aptitude test which consists of solving 40 math questions in 12 minutes.(Mostly College Algebra)

I want to eventually get out of my parent's house and make a living. A

And at this point, I'm on the verge of giving up finding work. I feel like traveling up to 20 miles from my house to a job interview where I have no guarantee of finding work becomes a big waste of time.

I've been doing this for one year, and I'm on the verge of throwing the towel.

Going back to college is out of the question, because I cannot afford college.

I need help on what to do before I break down and cry.
Lives at home, no job, unsuccessful job-hunted a year, cannot pass the math test, and ready to "throw in the towel"? I don't really see what all you have to even give up on ... seems you've already been given a reality check that you are currently already at the bottom and now need to figure out how to climb upward.

How about going back to school (there are low interest federal loans), obtaining some marketable skills, and also take a semester of math so you can pass the math tests.

Mom and Dad would do well to send you to the outside world to flip burgers and make your own way in life. Returning to school might seem very attractive to you after a few months of realizing that minimum wage is your future unless you step up a bit and gain some other work skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 07:46 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,520 times
OP: you might want to try to apply for a job at FedEx Office as a center consultant doing production work helping customers develop business cards, design flyers, and develop presentations. It wouldn't pay much, but it would be a job that would allow you to network with employers because you would be developing flyers for businesses in your area. It would be better than the typical retail job though as it does offer benefits and opportunity for full-time work.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:04 PM

35 posts, read 44,851 times
try to find a non-profit organization where you can volunteer and use your skills. You don't get paid, but what you get back in return is the experience you lack and possibly some great networking. That volunteer experience counts on your resume and like the others said, do some freelancing to keep your skills relevant. I know it is hard, it took me two years, so you are not alone and it is not your fault. A lot of good people with valuable skills are in the same boat.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:08 AM

341 posts, read 1,231,964 times
Hey, I know how you feel. I have over 5 years customer service and administrative experience and also a Bachelor's degree. It's been about 8 months and its been so hard. I try to apply to HR entry level jobs like HR assistant, Administrative assistant, HR Representative, etc. but no luck. I get interviews and make it to the final around but always end up going with someone with "more experience" because I don't have HR.

Even then, I can't get an office job because I guess I never worked for a big company. I had to settle for this part time job at Safelite for a call center position.....part time and not much pay but at least I get benefits. It sucks...I'm staying here until I can find a new job or hopefully work my way up.

I think since the unemployment rate is high, a lot of those with years of experience are looking for jobs and settle for entry level positions. How can a recent graduate with little experience compare to that? I think that's why it's so hard. In my call center training class I just started, a lot of older people are in there with experience had been laid off and couldn't find a job so settled for this call center.....

it just sucks when you know you can do the job and no one wants to give you experience.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:09 AM

33 posts, read 44,522 times
You need a website, you need to do web design AND development and keep up with current trends. Remember content is king. Make things look nice but focus on letting people get to their content without any question marks. The less question marks a user generates the better. Do both code and design, I was a duel guy and was a great asset at my last job. I'm working for my university now to help them delve in to app development but I also have to deal with design too. I'm getting my Masters in CS to seal the deal since its free for me now. You have to do both and do them well. Do mobile responsive design, JavaScript, etc. This field is over saturated but you'd be surprised that it filled with a lot of crap. I branded my résumé while keeping it professional and in interviews they said out if 100s I was the most unique, I get this a lot. Go around do research and look at inspiration.

Good luck!

Old 08-31-2013, 09:25 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Start your own business and work for yourself.

That sounds more like the kind of job for someone who would want to be self-employed.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:59 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,280 times
1. I love writing. That was my passion. I wanted to get into Creative Writing, but with the way the economy is going, I had to do my writing on the side I searched for work. The first thing you need to do is get money in your pocket and food on the table. I would take up a job in any field just to make ends meet. Having a passion isn't going to pay the bills. Actively seeking a job will.

2. You need to do freelance work on the side. I would try Odesk because they're extremely popular and they have good assignments that are posted daily. Also, I would recommend TaskRabbit. There are a good number of assignments, where people ask for help in creating websites, etc. I came across this site when I was just doing some research online.

3. Certifications online doesn't really impress an employer. They look for two things- some experience in your field and a solid educational background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Start your own business and work for yourself.

That sounds more like the kind of job for someone who would want to be self-employed.
Yeah, that works when you have actual money to do that.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:42 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
1. I love writing. That was my passion. I wanted to get into Creative Writing, but with the way the economy is going, I had to do my writing on the side I searched for work. The first thing you need to do is get money in your pocket and food on the table. I would take up a job in any field just to make ends meet. Having a passion isn't going to pay the bills. Actively seeking a job will.

2. You need to do freelance work on the side. I would try Odesk because they're extremely popular and they have good assignments that are posted daily. Also, I would recommend TaskRabbit. There are a good number of assignments, where people ask for help in creating websites, etc. I came across this site when I was just doing some research online.

3. Certifications online doesn't really impress an employer. They look for two things- some experience in your field and a solid educational background.

Yeah, that works when you have actual money to do that.
In some fields, yes it takes money to start your own business. In a field like this, it would require very little money to become self-employed. That's why so many can free-lance.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:30 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
In some fields, yes it takes money to start your own business. In a field like this, it would require very little money to become self-employed. That's why so many can free-lance.
Okay, that makes sense then.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:50 AM

361 posts, read 921,917 times
Idk about writing as a career. It's like any of the other performance "arts" - very little actual talent out there so it's mostly a matter of getting lucky. Whether you're talking about Tom Brokaw or Jay-Z I think Kurt Vonnegut there's a tremendous amount of chance in the arts. It's not something with a definable skill that you can work towards - literally one producers/editors trash is the others treasure. And who knows what the next "hot" item will be or if an editor thinks your style meets their needs...

It's a lot to risk. Everyone dabbles until they're 25 or so. Beyond that I think you should accept reality and get an actually stable career
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search