Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 08:46 AM

161 posts, read 389,911 times

Advertisements

Alright guys, this could potentially be the last unemployment question I ask on here!

I wrote about my 2nd interview/job shadow I had on Friday. They were supposed to talk to the HR lady that afternoon, and told me I would hear early this week after she crunched some numbers to make my offer. I finally decided this weekend that while I like both jobs equally, and both offer generally the same thing (though two different careers entirely), I would like this one more.

Today, I had a 2nd interview with the other job. They answered a couple of my questions that would've set them aside from the other, but nope. They're equal! They had 2 more people coming in today. I was told they would be in touch with me this afternoon about an offer, as they want to do the background check/drug screening ASAP and have me start immediately after. I would love this job, but it does have one downside that the other job doesn't have. Obviously, if offered this & not the other, I plan to take it.

Now, my finace suggested giving it a "time frame" and if I don't hear from the apartments by 2, then I know it's coming & I should call the HR department of the other and say I have another offer, but they're my first choice, etc. I've NEVER had to do this. I don't want it to ruin my chances of getting the offer, if I was going to get one, I hate the idea of rushing them. But, I may have to. Has anyone else done this? What do I say so I still sound tactful? ahhhh help.

*Ofcourse, if I don't get offered the apartment job, then it wouldn't matter. But I don't want to ruin my chances with the other place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 08:49 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,446 times
I wouldn't rush anyone. It comes across as feeling "entitled" to me and would put a bad taste in my mouth. It's one thing to call and check to see if a decision has been made, but another to rush them and state you have another offer.

I can't really tell by your email, but have you received a legitimate offer letter from either one?

Old 09-23-2013, 08:56 AM

161 posts, read 389,911 times
I have not received a legitimate offer, so there's always the possibility I would feel totally deflated!
But, with hearing from another one in a matter of several hours/this afternoon, I know that's a possibility. And I would hate to accept right away and miss out on another amazing opportunity without hearing from them first.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:02 AM

I don't think you will miss out on the opportunity. You can accept and then back out before your start date if you hear from the other one....

but honestly, this seems like a cart before the horse situation.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:07 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindlyunspoken23 View Post
Alright guys, this could potentially be the last unemployment question I ask on here!

I wrote about my 2nd interview/job shadow I had on Friday. They were supposed to talk to the HR lady that afternoon, and told me I would hear early this week after she crunched some numbers to make my offer. I finally decided this weekend that while I like both jobs equally, and both offer generally the same thing (though two different careers entirely), I would like this one more.

Today, I had a 2nd interview with the other job. They answered a couple of my questions that would've set them aside from the other, but nope. They're equal! They had 2 more people coming in today. I was told they would be in touch with me this afternoon about an offer, as they want to do the background check/drug screening ASAP and have me start immediately after. I would love this job, but it does have one downside that the other job doesn't have. Obviously, if offered this & not the other, I plan to take it.

Now, my finace suggested giving it a "time frame" and if I don't hear from the apartments by 2, then I know it's coming & I should call the HR department of the other and say I have another offer, but they're my first choice, etc. I've NEVER had to do this. I don't want it to ruin my chances of getting the offer, if I was going to get one, I hate the idea of rushing them. But, I may have to. Has anyone else done this? What do I say so I still sound tactful? ahhhh help.

*Ofcourse, if I don't get offered the apartment job, then it wouldn't matter. But I don't want to ruin my chances with the other place!
As a hiring manager, If a candidate were to call me and do this, I would simply throw out the app and move on to the next candidate. I am the one looking for the perfect person to do the job, and I am going to take all the time I need to do that. It's not about you.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:38 AM

896 posts, read 1,176,813 times
Don't go bluffing about having an offer when you don't. If you had the offer I would say its OK to call back the other possible job but you don't. I think you have to suck it up and wait.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:07 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times
Wink wow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
As a hiring manager, If a candidate were to call me and do this, I would simply throw out the app and move on to the next candidate. I am the one looking for the perfect person to do the job, and I am going to take all the time I need to do that. It's not about you.
Hiring Managers who sport your attitude are the problem today. I would like to go beneath your arrogance and hear, exactly, how your mind works on this subject other than to hear 'it's not about you'. Any chance you could honor us with your mind set?
Koale

Old 09-23-2013, 11:15 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Because I am the employer. I have a job that needs done, that I am paying for, and I need the best person I can find.

Frankly, the attitudes of candidates like yourself are your problem, and why many of you can't find jobs; some of you seem to think you are there for us, and that we should thank you for deigning to come to work at all.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but again, when I am hiring someone, it's about me, and what I need done, and I will wait for the perfect candidate before I hire someone.

I don't get what is hard to understand about that.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Because I am the employer. I have a job that needs done, that I am paying for, and I need the best person I can find.

Frankly, the attitudes of candidates like yourself are your problem, and why many of you can't find jobs; some of you seem to think you are there for us, and that we should thank you for deigning to come to work at all.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but again, when I am hiring someone, it's about me, and what I need done, and I will wait for the perfect candidate before I hire someone.

I don't get what is hard to understand about that.
I agree with this.

Most people may not like it, but this is telling it straight. No one should be interviewing and be thinking, "The company is not doing things on MY timeline... let me just call and rush them with scare tactics of a nonexistent job offer that I may or may not receive on this date!"

You are an interviewee at the employer's will. It can sound like such a small little thing, but doing anything that will make an employer feel like you don't value their time and that you are more important than they are will probably make you disqualified.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:39 AM

912 posts, read 1,524,365 times
If you have a legit offer, then I believe there is a way to call the other company and respectfully ask where they are in the hiring process so you can plan your next step. In fact, I did just that -- I was interviewing for two jobs at the same time. The hiring process took awhile for both, and I received an offer for the job I wasn't 100% sold on while waiting for the job offer I really wanted. So I called my HR contact at the other company, and explained that I was in no way trying to rush a decision or put pressure on anyone, but I had received this other job offer, and was just curious about where they were in their process.

It worked out for me, because it turned out that they were in the final stretch of selecting a candidate...and I got the job I really wanted. However, I recognize that it could have backfired on me, too.

Don't even think about doing this unless you have a confirmed offer.

Also, please keep in mind that hiring timelines can take longer than you're initially told -- people get sick, people go on vacation, they get stuck in meetings, etc etc.

If you get the first offer before you hear from the second, you don't have to accept it on the phone on the spot. They should have an official offer letter + benefits information to email to you. Even when I got the job offer I wanted, I didn't totally accept until I looked over the paperwork. I think most companies don't expect you to accept the offer the second they call you...right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search