U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 12:50 PM

305 posts, read 496,553 times

Advertisements

I'm growing very frustrated. I graduated from school with a certificate in Multimedia Design Technology. I have certifications in Adobe Dreamweaver and Photoshop which according to my advisors should be enough to land me a job. I worked my ass off taking these tests and passing them and now these tests, and these certificates in Adobe mean nothing now.

I go through many interviews and got turned down on each attempt. I got rejected from 2 Graphic/Web Design jobs, and 2 internships. It's been especially hard to find a job that doesn't say "Need 8 years of Graphic Design Experience + 4 year degree." Even Entry level jobs require 2 years of experience. [ What's the purpose of entry level again?!]

I got rejected for not passing an aptitude test which consists of solving 40 math questions in 12 minutes.(Mostly College Algebra) What the hell does that have to do with creating websites or designing art for clients?

I want to create art to wow my audience. I want to create mind blowing websites. But I want a job. I want to eventually get out of my parent's house and make a living. And at this point, I'm on the verge of giving up finding work. I feel like traveling up to 20 miles from my house to a job interview where I have no guarantee of finding work becomes a big waste of time. I got huge rejection calls / letters where I just want to cry, yell at a toddler and kick someone's car. I've been doing this for one year, and I'm on the verge of throwing the towel.

Going back to college is out of the question, because I cannot afford college.

I need help on what to do before I break down and cry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 12:54 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,459,857 times
Build up your portfolio/work experience by freelancing (check out odesk.com or elance.com) -- taking small jobs and work up from there.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:57 PM

2,426 posts, read 3,630,114 times
Have you tried to do freelance work? Or volunteer some of your time to designing for non-profits? I have seen volunteer opportunities for graphic designers. No it doesn't bring money, but it helps build experience.

Are you just looking at Graphic Designer positions? Or have you considered looking into Advertising or Marketing in copywriter or producers?

Old 08-07-2013, 01:00 PM

9,623 posts, read 5,409,086 times
If you "throw in the towel" what is your next step?

Old 08-07-2013, 01:02 PM

305 posts, read 496,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Have you tried to do freelance work? Or volunteer some of your time to designing for non-profits? I have seen volunteer opportunities for graphic designers. No it doesn't bring money, but it helps build experience.

Are you just looking at Graphic Designer positions? Or have you considered looking into Advertising or Marketing in copywriter or producers?
I have considered freelancing as a matter of fact. I picked up 4 books on freelancing. But freelancing was meant to be a last resort if all else fails. And things are beginning to fail.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:12 PM

2 posts, read 4,377 times
Have you considered getting a job outside of design and just doing design on the side? That way, you'll have an income, while expanding your network and building your portfolio. It might seem not desirable now, but I guess it depends what you want more at the moment: a job, or to design.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:14 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,459,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
I have considered freelancing as a matter of fact. I picked up 4 books on freelancing. But freelancing was meant to be a last resort if all else fails. And things are beginning to fail.
Why can't you do both at the same time -- freelance while looking for steady work?

Old 08-07-2013, 01:17 PM

441 posts, read 1,135,985 times
I don't know where you are or the market but you need to find some other graphics or web people with whom to network and get a feel for what your skills and ability can bring. Also, look up informational interviews. You have to cold call every place around that could have a job function you want and tell them you are doing career exploration. You are young and hopefully professional. You interview them. You will be talking to the people who have the 8-10 years experience for tips. If anything referrals and word of mouth is key to this type of work. Be wary of olance and other sites unless you can deliver exactly what they want and can bid lower than the multiple countries who will work for pennies on a normal rate.

Also, is it assumed you already have a website demonstrating your "wow" art? If not, I would think you would want to get that done.
And add that to your networking cards which should also wow.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:17 PM

2,426 posts, read 3,630,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Why can't you do both at the same time -- freelance while looking for steady work?
Right. We have a graphic designer in our department who does freelance on the side.

Actually, almost EVERY graphic designer I know does freelance on the side, because graphic design positions normally don't pay a whole lot. I actually find it extremely rare graphic designers who don't freelance on the side.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:28 PM

6,438 posts, read 9,980,626 times
You need to read the book "The Secret" and "Write It Down, Make it Happen". I have used the principles in those books to manifest many of my dreams and goals and they happened. I have more that I wrote down and affirmed that are still coming true. I recommend it to everybody and anybody that needs a slimmer of hope or faith that things will get better. I've been at rock bottom myself and know how it feels. That's why I just try to help someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or