Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 12:00 AM

75 posts, read 315,019 times

Advertisements

This interview question bothers me and I don't know what kind of answer interviewers are looking for in this question.

My basic answer is "If they are screaming, then they are talking loud, which means they want someone to listen to them. If you listen to them and respond to what they just ranted about, then you have half the battle right there." I feel strongly about this.

I can't think of any situation in my entire life where I felt like I confronted a "difficult" customer. I really can't. I've worked the phones at FEMA, my last job required me to handle customers who could be "rude," I guess, and I've done telemarketing where people simply cuss you out because that is the way they reacted, but never once did I let it get under my skin and never once did I ever yell back or not listen to what they said.

I've never once felt like there was anything I've done to turn any situation around outside of simply listening and responding to their issues. It's so simple and obvious to me that I can't fathom any other answer to this question. It is so natural to me that I never once pondered how a situation was turned around or where the tipping point was. I would be lying if I said I made everyone happy, but I'm not lying when I say I don't recall anyone ever hanging up the phone just as angry, or more angry with me, after speaking with me for five minutes.

The above is basically variations on my interview answers, but I guess that they aren't creative or maybe they sound like I have no empathy or I am wishy washy and won't admit that I get my feelings hurt. Sure, we all have our feelings hurt, but one thing that has never ever bothered me in life is talking to a "rude" or angry person on the phone. What has bothered me? Talking to so-called customer service personal that acts like they don't understand a word I am saying, so yeah, I make sure I don't treat anyone like that. If they are on the phone with me, they have the spotlight.

The real real real answer is that I've been through absolute hell in my life. I grew up in the ghetto and dissipating issues was a part of daily life. When you grow up in a world where your health depends on your ability to talk a gang of people out of beating you down that afternoon, how the hell would someone on the phone have any affect on you?

I can't talk about this stuff up in an interview, but that is what shapes my patience with people and why someone who poses no physical threat, who never seen me, and who is not speaking from any truth of my character doesn't affect me one iota. Does this mean I have no empathy? Absolutely not.

If interviewers are truly attempting to measure someone's character or creativity, which I suppose is the point of said question, what should a person say who seriously never pondered this issue in their working environment? Who has made angry and upset people walk away happy but has no real idea of how he did it, because its just a natural part of his wiring and hey, you know some people just don't really know. This does mean I can't do it, it just means I don't have think on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 06:23 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I have used this or similar question in the past when managing customer service people, and now use it in a slightly different way to ask about working with difficult employees in another department. The way the question is worded makes a difference. In the way you wrote it, above, the interviewer is not looking for your approach to the situation, but rather looking for an example of a time when you had that experience. If you have been working with customers you probably have several or many stories, and if they are real, it's easy to relate in the interview and they will be able to tell that you did handle it well rather than making up something they wanted to hear. When suspicious I will ask a follow up question and if there's any hesitation while they think, it usually means a made up story.

If you never have been in that situation it's best to just say so, or if true, tell them that you have a cheerful and polite approach to the customer that tends to diffuse any anger ahead of time. A few tips: You are right about listening, and not interrupting them while they vent. The worst thing you can do is put them on hold or making them go to another line or wait a long time to speak to a supervisor.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:32 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,397,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Quit View Post
This interview question bothers me and I don't know what kind of answer interviewers are looking for in this question.

My basic answer is "If they are screaming, then they are talking loud, which means they want someone to listen to them. If you listen to them and respond to what they just ranted about, then you have half the battle right there." I feel strongly about this.

I can't think of any situation in my entire life where I felt like I confronted a "difficult" customer. I really can't. I've worked the phones at FEMA, my last job required me to handle customers who could be "rude," I guess, and I've done telemarketing where people simply cuss you out because that is the way they reacted, but never once did I let it get under my skin and never once did I ever yell back or not listen to what they said.

I've never once felt like there was anything I've done to turn any situation around outside of simply listening and responding to their issues. It's so simple and obvious to me that I can't fathom any other answer to this question. It is so natural to me that I never once pondered how a situation was turned around or where the tipping point was. I would be lying if I said I made everyone happy, but I'm not lying when I say I don't recall anyone ever hanging up the phone just as angry, or more angry with me, after speaking with me for five minutes.

The above is basically variations on my interview answers, but I guess that they aren't creative or maybe they sound like I have no empathy or I am wishy washy and won't admit that I get my feelings hurt. Sure, we all have our feelings hurt, but one thing that has never ever bothered me in life is talking to a "rude" or angry person on the phone. What has bothered me? Talking to so-called customer service personal that acts like they don't understand a word I am saying, so yeah, I make sure I don't treat anyone like that. If they are on the phone with me, they have the spotlight.

The real real real answer is that I've been through absolute hell in my life. I grew up in the ghetto and dissipating issues was a part of daily life. When you grow up in a world where your health depends on your ability to talk a gang of people out of beating you down that afternoon, how the hell would someone on the phone have any affect on you?

I can't talk about this stuff up in an interview, but that is what shapes my patience with people and why someone who poses no physical threat, who never seen me, and who is not speaking from any truth of my character doesn't affect me one iota. Does this mean I have no empathy? Absolutely not.

If interviewers are truly attempting to measure someone's character or creativity, which I suppose is the point of said question, what should a person say who seriously never pondered this issue in their working environment? Who has made angry and upset people walk away happy but has no real idea of how he did it, because its just a natural part of his wiring and hey, you know some people just don't really know. This does mean I can't do it, it just means I don't have think on it.
You've got the right answer. You just may need to package it better? Something along the lines of:

"Personally, I feel that I excel in these situations. Dealing with a tough or rude customer really isn't that difficult, if you don't take anything personally, keep the focus on finding a resolution to their issue and above all - listen and empathize. For instance.... <insert tough customer resolution story here>.

This way you're taking the stance that it's not a big deal to you, providing some insight into your process of dealing with these types of customers - along with a bit of an icebreaker story for them to remember you by.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:06 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
"I do my best to help the customer, make them feel like I am listening to their needs, are sympathetic, AND want to help them."

Old 04-12-2013, 08:11 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,978 times
Kill em' with kindness. No matter how rude-the customer is always right. Smile, stay calm and listen.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:23 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
I once got assigned to "difficult clients". That was fun. I would tell the interviewer that I do my best to diffuse the situation through empathy, humor, or kindness. I remind the customer that I'm there to help them--and I truly want to do that. I then figure out the real issue (sometimes people just want someone to listen) and solve it.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:46 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
I think the interviewer -is- looking at your approach to de-escalate situations and the advices above are good. One thing I also might note is to figure out why/how the customer became this way and see if there's a way your company can prevent these situations from happening again.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:52 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
That one is easy compared to, '' tell us about a time you had a co worker you did not get along with''.

Oh, I have NEVER had that situation (right, good thing I am not Pinnochio), ....

Old 04-12-2013, 11:01 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Well here's what not to do. I had a really obnoxious patient yelling and screaming at me about something day shift did. I was at the end of my rope that day and just snapped. I yelled back that I was here now to help you and I had nothing to do with what happened on the previous shift. I think the look of I really want to kill you right now shut down his juvenile tirade. Sometimes you just can't take the abuse anymore. I had to leave the room to get something to repair his own equipment with and when I returned he actually apologized to me. I found out he was a retired judge and couldn't turn off his I'm the boss ahole button. I could have been written up for being rude but at that point I just didn't care anymore. Here's the right way to handle an out of control customer. I heard one of my patients relatives yelling at the secretary that no one has been in the room for hours. I went down and told her in a calming manner that was not true. I was just there right before she came back to the room. I told her that I understood how stressful the whole experience was for her and that I would take good care of her loved one. I also told her that she needed to control her emotions or administration would be up to talk to her. She was real nice to everyone after that. So I guess the best advice when being interviewed for a job would be to remain calm and want to be helpful. Interviewers love those idealistic answers, but the real world is often a different experience.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:17 AM

3,041 posts, read 4,998,632 times
I would break the question down in to two parts: 1) how you dealt with it, and more importantly 2) what you've learned for future confrontations (not rising to their level).

Lot's of times employers aren't just looking at your current skills, but want to see that you'll improve them as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search