U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 10:00 AM

945 posts, read 839,552 times

Advertisements

Yay, I finally got an interview (three different ones, actually)! My question is, is it best to be one of the first at an interview process or one of the last? I'm thinking last since the memory will be better in their head, but I'm sure if you're very good, they will remember you regardless. I'm not the best at interviews. I'm only good when there's a connection there with me and the person interviewing me, but perhaps that's a good thing because if we don't connect well at first, we may not work well later on. At least that's been my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 10:07 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,725,318 times
it doesn't matter. if you're a good candidate, you're a good candidate. they won't forget you.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:09 AM

9,010 posts, read 8,433,569 times
Doesn't matter.

Only a few people get to the interview stage for any position. Out of a field of 6, it is likely that 3 are going to completely bomb the interview. Of the remaining 3, it is likely that there is enough of a separation between credentials, experience and interview appeal that one is a clear front runner.

Don't worry about sequence. You have little or no control over it and it is not a significant factor when compared to the rest.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:10 AM

6,948 posts, read 19,484,684 times
Its not best to be first

Old 08-09-2013, 10:17 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,049,242 times
maybe last because they could end up asking better questions that came up during previous interviews, that werent asked on the first few ones and therefore completely writing off those guys

Old 08-09-2013, 12:50 PM

35 posts, read 89,060 times
It doesn't matter.

I've been a part of the interviewing process and done interviews with co-workers where they've said "yeah, but [X candidate] is still my top choice." If you're the front-runner, you just are.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:39 PM

25 posts, read 60,107 times
In my experience, go last.

People's attention spans are very short. Also, by the time they go towards the final candidates after an exhaustive interviewing process, the interview tends to be easier and more casual. Use this to your advantage and nail the interview. Send follow-up letters and you will have a much better since the decision making is most near your interview date.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:47 PM

2,060 posts, read 4,215,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
maybe last because they could end up asking better questions that came up during previous interviews, that werent asked on the first few ones and therefore completely writing off those guys
That would also essentially mean the last interview would be detailed/tougher than the earlier ones? That might make it difficult for an otherwise average candidate. He would have done fine if he was one of the first few candidates, but now that he is towards the end, he gets tougher questions?

I personally think it doesn't matter. A good candidate will be able to highlight his skills no matter the order.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:48 PM

2,060 posts, read 4,215,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Boy View Post
In my experience, go last.

People's attention spans are very short.
I would hope my interviewer would be taking notes and not going by his memory to make a hiring decision!

Old 08-09-2013, 02:28 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,049,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
That would also essentially mean the last interview would be detailed/tougher than the earlier ones? That might make it difficult for an otherwise average candidate. He would have done fine if he was one of the first few candidates, but now that he is towards the end, he gets tougher questions?

I personally think it doesn't matter. A good candidate will be able to highlight his skills no matter the order.
at that point theyve heard a few versions of the answers and when its the 'last' guy's turn, sometimes all you need to touch on is one key word and theyd assume you know the answer and then theyd save themselves from hearing the rest blah blah blah ok moving on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or