Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 09:49 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,853,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post
Employers are not allowed to give out salary info. Potential employers are only allowed to ask if you worked there and the dates.

When we check references employers always tell us the beginning and ending pay rate or salary, employee attendance/call offs, responsibilities, results of most recent annual review, exact dates of employment, whether or not they would consider this employee for rehire, and how the employee got along with coworkers.

Formal background checks in this state often take 6 weeks or more before we receive the report, so we often hire and the employee starts working before it is received. The employees are on a 90 day probationary provision anyway, and we have fired them if the information on the background check doesn't match what the employee stated.

The last employee that HR dismissed because of false information was regarding dates and places of employment. The employee falsified the first and last dates of employment at two different companies, and they were located in two different states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 09:56 AM

23,521 posts, read 24,006,421 times
Most employers will not release salary information.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:21 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,958,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
We all lie about what we were making when applying for a new job, that is how we get a raise. I don't think I have ever told the real salary in my life and it has never come back on me. Besides, past employers are afraid to say much any more for fear of legal problems........don't sweat it.

Don
Every. head. hunter. I have spoken with this year has asked me my salary. And then one head hunter sent me on an interview for a job that was offering a salary of almost double my current income. But the head hunter never told me, I only found out after the interview when I saw the job online.
Head hunters have no problem keeping the salary range for jobs a secret to interviewees, and they want to know EXACTLY how much you currently make (I was asked at one point, "if I saw your W-2, what would the income reflect?"). If head hunters are lokking to 'help' us so much, why wouldnt they tell me the salary range of the posistion I was interviewing for? I feel like it gives companies aj opportunity to law ball employees, and then recruiters complete a 'sale' and make their commision, when otherwise someone else may get that commision, regardless if the recruiter doesn't get 'top dollar'. sometimes any scraps are better than no scraps.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:25 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,424,666 times
If it is a traditional head hunter their main concern is that they not waste their time sending you to a job that pays less or the same as your current salary. For staffing agencies they want to know how cheap they can get you so they can stick it to the client in terms of rate and pocket the difference by offering you $1 per hour more.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:23 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
All they care about is whether or not you have any major criminal convictions/warrants and whether your education and work history are correct in terms of where and when you worked and what degrees you have. I seriously doubt they will check salary at this point. Do NOT open up a can of worms with your new employer. Keep your mouth shut.
there was a poster on this forum who lied about their salary a while back. they received an offer contingent on a background check including salary verification.

the poster was lucky, because their lie was found out but they were able to correct it and still be hired. however, the salary offered was lowered. which i think SUCKS, but please don't say employers don't care about salary history. if they ask about it, assume they care about it. then make your own judgment about whether it's worth it to lie.

lying during the application process is the #1 reason that job offers are rescinded after a background check. and yes, they might even fire someone over it. even if they don't care about your salary, if they find out you lied that reflects on your character, and they may not want to hire a proven liar.

Last edited by groar; 08-13-2013 at 12:00 PM..

Old 08-13-2013, 11:26 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,215 times
also, like, when you sign an agreement to a background check, you are usually agreeing to a credit check, criminal record check, etc. and people think that your salary history, which you've already been asked for and disclosed, is so sacred? get real. employers can and do ask for and reveal that information. if they can't get the information from former employers, they may ask you for w2s. if they care enough, and some places do as silly as that is, they'll get that information or your offer will be taken back.

no employer is going to get sued for revealing an employee's salary as long as they're truthful about it, and it's not like we're talking about something subjective here. either they're truthful or they're not, it's easy enough to prove.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:53 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,357,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Your salary is confidential information. The former employer opens themselves to a whole world of liability if they disclose this information. Unless they are complete knuckleheads, they won't do it.

You are fine. What did we learn?
Wrong. There is no law that an employer cannot disclose a former employee's salary.

Judge: "Why are you suing this big bad company?"
Plaintiff: "Because I had an offer for a new job and I lied about my salary and they went ahead and told them what I really earned. Now I didn't get the job through no fault of my own."
Judge: "Dismissed. Next case."

The OP said they started work so maybe they will get away with it. I personally don't get why a person's last salary has anything to do with a job opening. We set a salary line for open positions and you could have been making $28k and you'd still get the line that was allotted even if it's $60k. The issue that might come back to bite the OP is the fact that they lied, not what the lie actually was.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:24 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,405,938 times
A lot of employers do a background check after the employee is hired, it doesn't have anything to do with what you said. It's probably just part of the hiring process.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:42 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,124,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Your salary is confidential information. The former employer opens themselves to a whole world of liability if they disclose this information. Unless they are complete knuckleheads, they won't do it.
Nah, no law against releasing salary info. Companies don't do it because of competitive reasons.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:46 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,766,027 times
IRS form 4506-T. Once they ask you to sign one of those, you are in trouble. If they don't, you probably will not have any issues.
Form 4506-T authorizes the IRS to release your last four years of tax returns, including W-2s, 1099s, 1098s, and 5489s, to a third party. They can release up to 10 years' worth of W-2s and 1099s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search