Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 02:58 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,735,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
or... they could ask your former employer(s). or ask you for your w2 or your most recent pay advice. they don't have to pull your tax records to verify your pay.
Hence why I say that you are in trouble once they do ask for one. That tightens them up to take serious action against you. (e.g. breach of contract)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 03:11 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,178,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
You are probably fine though I am surprised the job application did not force you to disclose salary. I have no problem fibbing on salary history as I know companies will use it to lowball you. W-2's and paystubs can be easily faked with a scanner and any basic editing software.
Reminds me of a story. My DH knows a sales manager who lost 2 salespersons to a competing company. Suddenly he gets a call from the sales manager who hired them, steaming mad, saying, don't give them back their jobs. (He had no intention of doing so anyway but asked why.) Seems they had done electronic trickery as above to make it look like they were way bigger producers than they were. In reality they were average. However, the new company always did background checks on everyone including past wages earned, but people are brought on board before it is completed. So even though someone has to show what they earned beforehand, it still doesn't mean the company won't check for itself.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:36 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,617,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Hence why I say that you are in trouble once they do ask for one. That tightens them up to take serious action against you. (e.g. breach of contract)
oh ok, i see where you're coming from. but really, you're in trouble if they go to verify your income by conventional means too. that can mean an offer being revoked or getting fired. they don't have to build a court case against you to do that.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:43 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,534,864 times
Most of the time people don't worry about checking your salary but they do worry about the experience you said you had and how well you performed. That's what they'll probably ask. They are paying you based on what they think you're worth, not what the previous employer paid. You left that job, so if you're worth it, they shouldn't care about trying to do what the previous employer did. If they do ask and find out, you probably are not going to get fired if you're performing well at your job, but you may have an uncomfortable conversation.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:09 PM

6,129 posts, read 7,936,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Totally wrong. These days, compensation is one of the FEW things former employers will say about a former employee. My employer has the following policy. They will only say:

Last job title, dates of employment, last compensation.

That is pretty typical of large companies these days and they are doing it to protect themselves from liability. Liability comes in when a company expresses a negative opinion of the employee.
^^this. We have the same policy.

And prior salary does factor into what a candidate is offered, so lying about it can have consequences. Hopefully for the OP, he skirts through this but lying about salary is not a good idea.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Similar request actually happened to me once on a job. I was hired, got the offer letter, etc., etc. Before the first day, I got an email saying what to bring the first day (driver's license, SS card, etc.). They also wanted me to bring my last paystub from my last job. If I had lied about my salary, I would have been caught.
^^ and this. I have also been asked to provide proof in the form of a pay stub, W2 or offer letter from a prior employer. This was requested by a background investigation firm that couldn't get a response from the ex employer. And falsifying these documents with a scanner and software is a really really bad idea.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:45 PM

8,071 posts, read 9,987,398 times
Quote:
Totally wrong. These days, compensation is one of the FEW things former employers will say about a former employee. My employer has the following policy. They will only say:

Last job title, dates of employment, last compensation.

That is pretty typical of large companies these days and they are doing it to protect themselves from liability. Liability comes in when a company expresses a negative opinion of the employee.
Huh?
For those who have asked, no there is no law.
But god forbid anyone who discloses ANYTHING about an employee and it turns out to be even slightly inaccurate. Compensation being one of the most delicate. Base, salary, bonus, overtime, incentives, stock compensation, etc. all go into what YOU might say, and what I Might say.

So, yes, folks go with "they worked here from x to x." If I found out that my HR department was giving out salary/compensation info (it is proprietary, after all) heads would roll. In no uncertain terms.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:49 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,801,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adotallen View Post
employers are not allowed to give out salary info. Potential employers are only allowed to ask if you worked there and the dates.
not true

Old 08-13-2013, 04:59 PM

305 posts, read 719,684 times
You know what I think? It should be illegal for employers to base their hiring decisions and salary based on credit history, credit score and previous salary.

That way, the applicant can sue if he is rejected or given a low salary based on his last job.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Huh?
For those who have asked, no there is no law.
But god forbid anyone who discloses ANYTHING about an employee and it turns out to be even slightly inaccurate. Compensation being one of the most delicate. Base, salary, bonus, overtime, incentives, stock compensation, etc. all go into what YOU might say, and what I Might say.

So, yes, folks go with "they worked here from x to x." If I found out that my HR department was giving out salary/compensation info (it is proprietary, after all) heads would roll. In no uncertain terms.
Well unless you are a C-level executive and know for certain your company isn't doing this you're in for a big shock.

Google "The Work Number", brought to you by that pinnacle of accuracy and benevolence, Equifax. Or just visit www.theworknumber.com. It should scare the hell out of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search