Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 11:00 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,685,474 times

Advertisements

So I reapplied to my county to work as Personnel Technician (I'm a business major and have taken extensive Human Resource classes) in which they require you to take a civil test.Well I passed the civil test twice (one for another position) but I didnt get the job after they interviewed me a year after I took it. So I go to reapply for the position because I see its open again so they tell me I must take it AGAIN because they have revised it. I go take the test and it is easy as pie(actually easier than the initial test I took before),and almost pointless that I would have take it for a job that only pays 24k a year and requires a HS diploma, but they call me today to tell me I didn't meet the requirements and won't give me back my own damn score??? Last time they told me my score in writing now they won't at all. What the hell is, I have to jump thru hoops to work a job I know I am CAPABLE (based on the job duties)of working if they would just give me a chance and a test I feel I passed.. I sobbed and cried hysterically because I just want a job man and I'm at the end of my rope and I don't know what to do.

I just needed to vent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 11:18 AM

93 posts, read 332,007 times
I'm sorry. I know how disappointing that is. Last week I took a test for a customer service rep/sales position for the same company I worked for 12 years. Ok this will be easy and no problem.
Right ... I woke up the next morning and read my email from the company informing me that I did NOT pass. I'm so let down and upset with myself.
Is there a chance that they'll send you the actual results? When can you retest for the position? I have to wait 6 months.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotaxx View Post
I'm sorry. I know how disappointing that is. Last week I took a test for a customer service rep/sales position for the same company I worked for 12 years. Ok this will be easy and no problem.
Right ... I woke up the next morning and read my email from the company informing me that I did NOT pass. I'm so let down and upset with myself.
Is there a chance that they'll send you the actual results? When can you retest for the position? I have to wait 6 months.
i have no idea if i can see my scores .. i have a feeling like they are lying because i know i passed

Old 08-26-2013, 01:26 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
Is it possible you are misunderstanding what they are telling you ?

You said they told you you didn't meet their requirements. Are there requirements other than just taking the test ? Not only that but mostly civil service tests have more than just one person taking them. There may have been a whole slew of people taking that same test. Would there not then be a range of test scores.

In other words, maybe you passed, but 4 other people had higher scores than you or something like that.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
i have no idea if i can see my scores .. i have a feeling like they are lying because i know i passed
Can you ask to have a written copy of your score? Every test that I have taken for civil service exams, they have emailed me a copy of how I scored.
Maybe they made an error with your score?

Old 08-26-2013, 07:29 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I worked as a supervisor in civil service for many years, and the passing score varied based on how many people we wanted to interview. For example, for a position that might have 5-6 openings in the next year we would interview 25 to establish the list. With a good group of applicants passing might require getting all but one answer correct. With a lesser group a person might pass with 20 answers wrong. We never gave out the score, they either passed and got an interview, or failed and got a letter. We changed the questions every time to prevent memorization. In your case, don't drive yourself nuts thinking about what happened. Most likely you did very well but others did just a little better with so much competition.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Is it possible you are misunderstanding what they are telling you ?

You said they told you you didn't meet their requirements. Are there requirements other than just taking the test ? Not only that but mostly civil service tests have more than just one person taking them. There may have been a whole slew of people taking that same test. Would there not then be a range of test scores.

In other words, maybe you passed, but 4 other people had higher scores than you or something like that.
no that isn't it have taken the test before and have been on the list and they usually tell my score and my place on the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotaxx View Post
Can you ask to have a written copy of your score? Every test that I have taken for civil service exams, they have emailed me a copy of how I scored.
Maybe they made an error with your score?
i have taken two test for seperate positions and i always knew my scores so idk whats so different now i dont see why they just can't say "oh yea you made a etc and we needed you to make this"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I worked as a supervisor in civil service for many years, and the passing score varied based on how many people we wanted to interview. For example, for a position that might have 5-6 openings in the next year we would interview 25 to establish the list. With a good group of applicants passing might require getting all but one answer correct. With a lesser group a person might pass with 20 answers wrong. We never gave out the score, they either passed and got an interview, or failed and got a letter. We changed the questions every time to prevent memorization. In your case, don't drive yourself nuts thinking about what happened. Most likely you did very well but others did just a little better with so much competition.
no that isn't it have taken the test before and have been on the list and they usually tell my score and my place on the list. but i don't see why they just can't tell me the score so i can decide if its worth trying again

Old 08-26-2013, 09:38 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default I would not hire you

Quote:
i have taken two test for seperate positions
Grammar errors similar to these two would have eliminated you if I were making the decision.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
no that isn't it have taken the test before and have been on the list and they usually tell my score and my place on the list.

i have taken two test for seperate positions and i always knew my scores so idk whats so different now i dont see why they just can't say "oh yea you made a etc and we needed you to make this"

no that isn't it have taken the test before and have been on the list and they usually tell my score and my place on the list. but i don't see why they just can't tell me the score so i can decide if its worth trying again
I agree with you - without a breakdown of your results you won't know which areas to study.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:25 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Grammar errors similar to these two would have eliminated you if I were making the decision.
Can you let someone vent w/o being an a-ss?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search