Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 09:27 PM

28 posts, read 63,371 times

Advertisements

Hi, I currently have two job offers and I need some advice on how to withdraw from one of the offer and which one should I go with?

Both job have offer the same base salary - accounting related

Job #1 - 35 min commute - safer area
Skills are more general and transferable
Health benefits - covered by company ($0 contribution) - $2000 limit that the company will put in? - I am a bit confused about this?
No 401k match
2 weeks of vacation pay
2 sicks days

Job #2 - 1 and 1/2 hour commute - considered unsafe area
Skills are more specific
Health benefit are good - but employee need to contribute ($50-75) per paycheck
4% - 401k match
3 weeks of vacation pay
6 sick days and 3 personal days

I am thinking about taking job #1 because the shorter commute time and $0 contribution to health insurance

If take job #2 with the great benefits - the hours of commuting can equal close to 15 hr per week and the health insurance contribution can cut down my paycheck significantly

I did not sign anything for either company - how can I politely withdrawn from one of the job offer?

If you had to choose, which one would you prefer?

Thanks

Last edited by Question&Answer; 08-27-2013 at 09:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 09:33 PM

30 posts, read 56,444 times
Move closer

Old 08-27-2013, 09:48 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I would choose job #2.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:03 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,746,694 times
Agreed, you should move closer, but on top of that, you have only described a few things that you should take into account when looking at 2 different job offers.

Such as which company did you feel more comfortable at when you were interviewing? Which of the management teams did you like better? Did you interact with employees at either company? Which one seemed to have the more satisfied employees? Which one do you think you will be working for in a year?

so many people begin their careers looking at money and benefits, while ignoring the just as important idea of fit. Does the amount of commute time really matter if you are miserable working for a company? If your boss is a total ass does it matter how much of your health insurance they cover? If everybody around you is miserable is the 4% 401k going to matter? Are you going to have a chance to expand your knowledge base and a future chance to move up in the company, or are you stuck working at your new position until you decide to leave and find another position?

I have worked enough jobs, and chased the big money for long enough, that I realized there is more to life then more money and benefits. You need to look at both companies based on more then money and benefits to find a job you will be happy with.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:09 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,883 times
#1 reason most people take jobs? Money.

#1 reason most hate their job? Corporate Culture, Work Environment, Co-Workers, Managers, Commute... then, money.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Agreed, you should move closer, but on top of that, you have only described a few things that you should take into account when looking at 2 different job offers.

Such as which company did you feel more comfortable at when you were interviewing? Which of the management teams did you like better? Did you interact with employees at either company? Which one seemed to have the more satisfied employees? Which one do you think you will be working for in a year?

so many people begin their careers looking at money and benefits, while ignoring the just as important idea of fit. Does the amount of commute time really matter if you are miserable working for a company? If your boss is a total ass does it matter how much of your health insurance they cover? If everybody around you is miserable is the 4% 401k going to matter? Are you going to have a chance to expand your knowledge base and a future chance to move up in the company, or are you stuck working at your new position until you decide to leave and find another position?

I have worked enough jobs, and chased the big money for long enough, that I realized there is more to life then more money and benefits. You need to look at both companies based on more then money and benefits to find a job you will be happy with.

Hi jwiley

Both companies have great staffs...

job #2 is bigger in size in terms of employee - definitely would be more fun to work in... a lot more people around that I can relate to... job skills is specific, maybe less transferable... office is around an unsafe area.

job #1 is smaller in size... only will be interacting with a few people - more quiet environment...but the skills are more transferable to another job...safer area.

I researched a lot on the long commute time...an additional 15 hours per week for commute is a bit much... I do want a life outside of work...I have experienced long commute to school and I can personally tell you that it will drain you out after awhile

This is considered an entry level job... therefore obtaining more transferable skill is my main goal here

Old 08-27-2013, 10:53 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question&Answer View Post
Hi jwiley

Both companies have great staffs...

job #2 is bigger in size in terms of employee - definitely would be more fun to work in... a lot more people around that I can relate to... job skills is specific, maybe less transferable... office is around an unsafe area.

job #1 is smaller in size... only will be interacting with a few people - more quiet environment...but the skills are more transferable to another job...safer area.

I researched a lot on the long commute time...an additional 15 hours per week for commute is a bit much... I do want a life outside of work...I have experienced long commute to school and I can personally tell you that it will drain you out after awhile

This is considered an entry level job... therefore obtaining more transferable skill is my main goal here
Is job #2 in a more populated area? If so, I'd consider moving. I would rather drive an hour and a half into an unpopulated area than live in one. If job #2 is in a remote location, I'd just commute.

Why is the safety of the area such a large concern? Do you believe that you are going to be a victim of crime there or will be working irregular hours? The neighborhood shouldn't have that much of an impact...

Your time is something you NEVER get back. I commuted 10 hrs/week for two years, got into jobs with 30 minute/day round trip commutes, and am now commuting 2 hrs/day 10 hrs/week again. I am onboarding for a job with less money just to get rid of this commute. Each person's "dollar value per hour" is different, but wasting fifteen hours a week, every week, commuting for a year equates to 780 hours, or 32.5 days - more than a damn month on the road. I don't know if you could pay me enough to waste a month of my year commuting when a better option is available.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Is job #2 in a more populated area? If so, I'd consider moving. I would rather drive an hour and a half into an unpopulated area than live in one. If job #2 is in a remote location, I'd just commute.

Why is the safety of the area such a large concern? Do you believe that you are going to be a victim of crime there or will be working irregular hours? The neighborhood shouldn't have that much of an impact...

Your time is something you NEVER get back. I commuted 10 hrs/week for two years, got into jobs with 30 minute/day round trip commutes, and am now commuting 2 hrs/day 10 hrs/week again. I am onboarding for a job with less money just to get rid of this commute. Each person's "dollar value per hour" is different, but wasting fifteen hours a week, every week, commuting for a year equates to 780 hours, or 32.5 days - more than a damn month on the road. I don't know if you could pay me enough to waste a month of my year commuting when a better option is available.
Hi Emigration

Job #2 is in a high crime rate area (warehouse- ish neighborhood)... my family is concerned about my safety traveling there since I am going to use public transportation. No chance of moving any closer to the company since crime rate is so high...

Job #1 is in the city... therefore, my family is not worried as much...

Both job is paying the same amount, commute time is one of my main concern because like you said... the hours adds up

Old 08-27-2013, 11:05 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
No way I would be signing up for a 1.5 hour commute each way unless the pay was really good. It will wear you down eventually.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:18 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,682 times
Deja vu. Need advice on job location vs advancement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search