Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 05:44 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Let me try this again, as you do not seem to be grasping the concept of what I did.

Also a formal training process in the corporate world does not work like what I did, as what I did does not exist in the corporate world.

I found out one of top accountants in the state ... I consciously chose to take a data entry job paying $10 an hour despite having made 6 figures the prior year.

In my 20s I opened up a mortgage company... then the mortgage collapse came ....

I started back to school, and went and talked to what became my primary job for 5 years....

To take that job I needed more income as I have a wife and 2 kids, so I got a job working weekends for another company, and went to school at nights.

... I would only work a few hours a month, so I would take other jobs, and give them a try.

I had heard about the Xerox training program for their sales people....

I also went to work as a contract sales agent for a small insurance broker....

So I went to work for a large international Insurance company ... I really did not want to stay in insurance or full time sales as they were wanting me to do.

I went to work for a small landscaping supply store knowing full well that it was a 6 month job at most....

[A]fter that job was done I worked at a call center waiting for tax season to roll back around.

I got a job working for a company in the oil field (the 1 and only time I deviated from my plan). The idea was I was tired of sales.... Then the state laws in Colorado changed....

I also took a job during harvest for farmers... was tired of working in a call center...

[C]ome October I would be able to get a temp job in retail.

...now I could go through the rest of the jobs but it is 4 am here and I need to go to bed.
You are as bad as parried, but in a totally different way.

Look, your plan to build up experience to rebuild your company concept was fine. From my experience with entrepreneurial programs here, you could have gone about it better, but it looks to have worked well for you. But your job seeking was miserable, partly because having a quality job was so secondary to you. This is a long list of job seeking failures and dissatisfaction with one job after another. You found pay, but the way you went about it would be very career damaging for most people as well as probably being a poor quality of life.

Quality job seeking is not about finding a paying job as fast as you can. It is about finding a high quality job that pays you what you are worth and offers you the career development you want without forcing you to sacrifice one of the other or to sacrifice your happiness with the rest of your life. Now, if what you are worth at the moment is not enough to live off of (which, unfortunately, could be the case for parried), then you sacrifice happiness or career development for experience to get to the point where you can demand a higher wage. But, even though at times you severely undervalued yourself (e.g. your belief that mortgage brokers could not be hired), you were not worth less than it took to survive. You consistently sacrificed worth and happiness to obtain career development, and even in some cases sacrificed career development too just to make ends meet.

I hope things work out for you. You know as well as I do that $300k gross revenue is still a tenuous position where you are barely balancing customer acquisition cost with lifetime customer value. But getting a rapid success of wage slave jobs over a short span of time is not a sign of good job hunting skills. I do think it is a good sign of salesmanship, which will serve you well in the long run.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:05 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,227 times
For me saving for the $2500 for that CNC program will be like some young kid saving money for college. It's better then going out of state for something that doesn't exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
So much fail in one post.

Have you ever encountered rude employees? Dealt with incompetence? Been frustrated at how slow a line moves? Found a mistake on your bank account or utility bill?

These issues happen because of poor employees with inadequate training. Your proposal will only make things worse. Putting any old person into place with no thought for competence or ability will cause problems like this everywhere.

Your ill thought out proposal will also not help at all. As an example I recently filled a junior manager position. I reviewed resumes and conducted fairly extensive interviews with a number of people. At one end was a person who could not tell me anything about how to deal with conflict from a supervisory standpoint and cried when I asked followup questions. At the other end was a woman who was calm, answered questions completely, was able to come up with creative solutions to difficult problems, etc.

They were both willing to work. Who would you have hired? Remember, I only found out about these people because of interviews.
Excuses...

Old 10-15-2013, 07:22 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
You are as bad as parried, but in a totally different way.

Look, your plan to build up experience to rebuild your company concept was fine. From my experience with entrepreneurial programs here, you could have gone about it better, but it looks to have worked well for you. But your job seeking was miserable, partly because having a quality job was so secondary to you. This is a long list of job seeking failures and dissatisfaction with one job after another. You found pay, but the way you went about it would be very career damaging for most people as well as probably being a poor quality of life.

Quality job seeking is not about finding a paying job as fast as you can. It is about finding a high quality job that pays you what you are worth and offers you the career development you want without forcing you to sacrifice one of the other or to sacrifice your happiness with the rest of your life. Now, if what you are worth at the moment is not enough to live off of (which, unfortunately, could be the case for parried), then you sacrifice happiness or career development for experience to get to the point where you can demand a higher wage. But, even though at times you severely undervalued yourself (e.g. your belief that mortgage brokers could not be hired), you were not worth less than it took to survive. You consistently sacrificed worth and happiness to obtain career development, and even in some cases sacrificed career development too just to make ends meet.

I hope things work out for you. You know as well as I do that $300k gross revenue is still a tenuous position where you are barely balancing customer acquisition cost with lifetime customer value. But getting a rapid success of wage slave jobs over a short span of time is not a sign of good job hunting skills. I do think it is a good sign of salesmanship, which will serve you well in the long run.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:01 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,109 times
Quality job seeking? Wow look at all the unemployed elitists.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:23 AM

I have 5 ads on craigslist that I renew every few days. One looking for any local apprenticeships (or to be a helper, I'll even work for free to prove I'm serious). The others I basically say I'm looking for work, I'm not picky, I'll let you train me, etc. Sometimes I'll get an oddball response, where someone asks if I'm still looking, but I never hear from the again. These appear to be legitimate local companies, so why they don't get back to me is a mystery when they supposedly need to hire or interview. Sometimes I'll ask where they are located, and they won't give me any info. Again legit company but the owner won't tell me. I don't get my hopes up for it, but it's free and you never know who will read it.

I put them in the resume section, and services, if you want to read them yourself.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:00 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
I have 5 ads on craigslist that I renew every few days. One looking for any local apprenticeships (or to be a helper, I'll even work for free to prove I'm serious). The others I basically say I'm looking for work, I'm not picky, I'll let you train me, etc. Sometimes I'll get an oddball response, where someone asks if I'm still looking, but I never hear from the again. These appear to be legitimate local companies, so why they don't get back to me is a mystery when they supposedly need to hire or interview. Sometimes I'll ask where they are located, and they won't give me any info. Again legit company but the owner won't tell me. I don't get my hopes up for it, but it's free and you never know who will read it.

I put them in the resume section, and services, if you want to read them yourself.

This could be a red flag, but some of the companies want to remain anonymous. That's the thing with craigslist sometimes. Other times the companies will be upfront and not hide who they are.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:51 PM

Talked to a plumbing company in NH about an apprenticeship. Told me to email my resume. An hour later they said they weren't interested. Probably because of the ged. I thought it was easy to become a helper.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:54 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,380 times
Quote:
Talked to a plumbing company in NH about an apprenticeship. Told me to email my resume. An hour later they said they weren't interested. Probably because of the ged. I thought it was easy to become a helper.
No one likes you. That's the problem. Not your ged. Your negative outlook on EVERYTHING.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-15-2013, 05:58 PM

Kinda hard to believe that when most correspondence is over the computer.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:00 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,380 times
Quote:
Kinda hard to believe that when most correspondence is over the computer.
I can see your emails "companies are out to get me. Prove me wrong. Hire me. Ps I want you to know I have my ged."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search