Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 08:49 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaspberriDiva View Post
This city is freakin unbelievable to judge a person by their age and dont take into consideration that they have bills to pay and need to eat is outrageous. They will consider you b4 they meet with you and then they find a way to get you out of there. Some dont even look at ur qualifications to see if you are qualified they look at your appearance and sometimes its just that you dont click in their clicks is why you dont get the job its a disgrace because older ppl need to work also I have worked on one job for 8yrs and then went to school to enhance my career that I was already professional in and it has been a rough road for the past 4yrs to get a permanent position smh. Maybe I did wait to late to further my education and so I have to bite the bullet and keep on keeping on. Im too young for disability and too old for the work field im caught between a hard place and a rock.
Can you please use standard grammar and punctuation? Your posts can be very difficult to understand.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:59 AM

186 posts, read 362,256 times
JB hunt or snyder will put you thru 18 wheeler school. you then owe them one year of working for them (making half what you'll make the next year) but it's a way to start with nothing and have something, in short order. but you have to be 21 to get a CDL. why not join the military? 3 years with the army, 3 tours in Afghan, then a year there as a merc, and come home with 200k. If you know how to invest that, you'll be retired, a year or so after you get back.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:46 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
I think they hire someone who knows someone who works there. I can't get a minimum wage job either. If I need to try again, I'll look for seasonal work and simply fail to include the information that I have a college degree.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:22 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,095,181 times
I have spoken to several HR directors, two recruiters, and a few other manager types.

These are some of replies I've gotten.

"Without an engineering degree, no one will hire you in our town" - major research park.

"Very impressive resume. You are overqualified, and our people know that you will leave when a better offer comes along."

"Although you have quite a bit of relevant experience, its not in .... banking, retail, insert here."

"You have a fantastic resume, but you need to apply for the manager position, as we cannot pay you enough as assistant manager." I replied that I would be interested in discussing salary for the assistant position as that would provide me with some excellent experience. Then I got this reply "If you got experience in banking with our company, you would leave for another bank very quickly as they can pay you much more."

I have a side business that I have done since 2004, doesn't pay me much - but its been consistently on my resume, so no real breaks in work. Just a tough job market right now.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:17 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEddie View Post
I have spoken to several HR directors, two recruiters, and a few other manager types.

These are some of replies I've gotten.

"Without an engineering degree, no one will hire you in our town" - major research park.

"Very impressive resume. You are overqualified, and our people know that you will leave when a better offer comes along."

"Although you have quite a bit of relevant experience, its not in .... banking, retail, insert here."

"You have a fantastic resume, but you need to apply for the manager position, as we cannot pay you enough as assistant manager." I replied that I would be interested in discussing salary for the assistant position as that would provide me with some excellent experience. Then I got this reply "If you got experience in banking with our company, you would leave for another bank very quickly as they can pay you much more."

I have a side business that I have done since 2004, doesn't pay me much - but its been consistently on my resume, so no real breaks in work. Just a tough job market right now.

That just sounds like creative rejection to me, don't sweat it and remain positive.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:07 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,685,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
If you are in that position, something is fundamentally wrong with you or your resume, or both. You obviously won't get every call back, but if you are unemployed in perpetuity you need to either move, change fields, or change your approach - quite possibly all of them. While I haven't had the greatest of success, I have never been unemployed for more than a few weeks and routinely get calls for positions from across the country, and I'm certainly not a high skilled worker.
want a treat? no need to be condescending

Old 09-04-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
That just sounds like creative rejection to me, don't sweat it and remain positive.
Could be, but its from more than one person, and more than one company.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:18 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEddie View Post
Could be, but its from more than one person, and more than one company.
How many practice interviews have you done with others? I do about 15-20 to prepare.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
How many practice interviews have you done with others? I do about 15-20 to prepare.

I can't even get interviews. Honestly, if I get an interview, I get the job 95% of the time. I only had one where I didn't, and I was told it was going to be a tough sell because the owner wanted someone already in the industry, and already living in Atlanta - I was neither.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
want a treat? no need to be condescending
A bit more info - one of the HR directors was a friend in another city, and the recruiter called me from a linkedin contact.

I was in an unusual industry, and many can't see past that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search