Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 11:44 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,834,088 times

Advertisements

this is an IT job at 3M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 12:20 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
this is an IT job at 3M
Suit and tie. Polished shoes. Bring a portfolio. Everything is ironed and creased. Belt matches shoes.

No question about it, and you could be disqualified simply for not wearing a suit. It would show poor judgement snd a lack of knowledge of corporate culture.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:24 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,859,776 times
Quote:
this is an IT job at 3M
Suit.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:32 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
You need a suit for a 3M office job. You will need time for alterations, so get the suit as early as possible.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:15 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
they wouldnt reject me just for not wearing a suit thoguh right?
What message does it send to the employer if you cannot be proactive enough to as much as borrow a suit from a friend/family member?

Find a suit somewhere. As others said, thrift stores are a good option. You can also rent suits if need be.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:09 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times
Quote:
If it's formal, they might. It shows immaturity.

Go to Men's Warehouse or Macy's (or any similar store). Get a navy blue suit, white shirt and red/ blue fairly bland tie. You can do this for <$200, easily.

If you want to look better, take the suit to a reputable tailor (with the tags still on, so that you can return) and get it tailored to completely fit you. (the cost should be <$75). Hopefully, this will just be a hem in bottom of the pants, and some very minor jacket work. If the jacket work is too expensive, ask the tailor why, and see if you can exchange the suit/ jacket for another size that will be cheaper to tailor.

You can use this 1 suit for any interview, wedding, funeral... You can also choose a grey color, but navy is classic.

Chances are you will have more than 1 interview. If you go back for 2nd rounds, just change the tie out.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:10 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
what if i dont have a suit
Get one.

Quote:
I'm not sure what position you are applying for, but in every job I have ever held, if an applicant showed up for an interview who was not in a suit and tie, it would indicate that they lack the ability or knowledge of how to dress for a professional situation; I would be concerned that if they had to attend a business meeting with clients, they would show up dressed inappropriately. Their resume / CV would wind up in the reject bin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Everyone has to start somewhere - not everyone is born with a suit in their closet.
But at a certain level, one is expected to get have if they are to be in a situation that calls for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
I personally recommend a tie that subtly stands out. If it is a tossup between you and someone else, it actually helps to be remembered as the guy with some standout feature.
If it is a "tossup", the fact that one had a tie that stood out more than the other guy's tie is not going to mean squat.

On the flipside - if one's clothes are wrikled or ill-fitting, or if their shoes look scuffed up and worn, that very well can make an impression (and not in a good way).

Old 09-06-2013, 10:20 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,656 times
Quote:

Depends on where you're located. Out West, not really. Out East, most definitely

Old 09-06-2013, 10:32 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,079,863 times
Moderator cut: snip

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I'm surprised there wasn't a college course on this.
I didn't need a college course to tell me that I should wear a suit to an interview. I always thought this was common knowledge.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 09-13-2013 at 04:36 AM.. Reason: Quoted post deleted

Old 09-06-2013, 10:58 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Considering my field, formal business attire such as a suit/pant-suit would be required. I've also tended to wear conservative colors and highly formal blouses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search