Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 06:06 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times

Advertisements

Even if your suit is out of fashion, a bit worn and not high end, nobody is going to blame you for that. It's showing that you RESPECT the place and it's IMPORTANT TO YOU to get the job.

Polish those SHOES though. Beat up shoes that are POLISHED convey "I'm poor but I take some pride the best I can". Get the shirt and new Goodwill suit sent to the dry cleaner and show up PRESSED. Hair cut. Clean hands etc.

Worse case scenario you could maybe get away with a sports jacket, tie and pants meaning Navy blazer and grey pants for example, but I'm sure you don't have them either.

IT guys are notoriously "under dressed" but going for a job is different.

I worked with a genius from MIT who looked a mess. Wrinkled, shirt tail often hanging out over his waistband, greasy hair, food dripped on his tie after lunch, etc. But he ALWAYS wore a suit even though his department was totally casual. It was kind of endearing to tell you the truth. And he happened to be not just the smartest one in the directorate but the nicest.

And if not Goodwill try eBay. I've found a TON OF "new with tags" clothing on there dirt cheap. Pre owned are a HUGE deal, too. Learn how to bid "sniping" and find listings that are expiring soon preferably late at night and ignore if there are other bidders or not. Bid once - your best amount and final amount. Bid odd numbers like 23.07 instead of 22.99.

LOL here's a LUCKY SUIT for 70.00 including the shirt that expires in a half hour with no bidders. The guy wore it 10 years ago for an INTERVIEW and GOT THE JOB. Scroll down to read hahaha.

Ebay rocks as long as you can FIT THE GARMENT. or get it altered. Obviously I just picked the first listing that came up but it IS funny about the guy talking about getting the job! It's a 42 Regular. Some times esp with womens wear they put exact measurements so you can measure yourself to see if it'll fit.

Men's Kenneth Cole Suit with Matching Shirt Large | eBay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 06:26 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I'm surprised there wasn't a college course on this.
Not even two generations ago, proper dress and attire was not only taught by one's parents at a young age, but it was customary to wear formal attire for almost any occasion. I'm sure some of the Baby Boomers here remember when everyone in the family would put on their best dress clothes just to go shopping at the downtown department stores.

Funny how much times have changed (for the better? I'm not so sure about that).

Old 09-08-2013, 09:47 PM

4 posts, read 4,571 times
hey guys i need some help here
I received that letter that I had been wanting for so long only to turn on my anxiety at full power. I have no idea how to dress for it.

I was thinking going casual like I dress for school. Dress shirt, dark jeans, and my dress sneakers or dress shoes. Is this appropriate?

I thought about a suit, but I think that's over kill and I'd rather be under dressed than over dressed. I feel awkward showing up in a suit and then nobody else having one. I've done that before to a party and was so awkward all night because of it.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:09 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
I don't really care how your suit looks. It can be a bit outdated. It doesn't have to be tailored to you. But if you don't have a suit on it shows me you don't really care much about getting the job or don't have the common sense to know you should be wearing a suit.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:56 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Let me ask you a serious question. How much does this job pay............if you get it? Because the high tech sales jobs I apply for pay 80k min. Do you think I would just roll with what I have and risk losing an 80k opp do you?

Are you willing to risk losing a job opp that pays atleast 40k because you can't get a suit? Do you think that's wise?

Old 09-09-2013, 03:00 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amankmr17 View Post
I received that letter that I had been wanting for so long only to turn on my anxiety at full power. I have no idea how to dress for it.

I was thinking going casual like I dress for school. Dress shirt, dark jeans, and my dress sneakers or dress shoes. Is this appropriate?

I thought about a suit, but I think that's over kill and I'd rather be under dressed than over dressed. I feel awkward showing up in a suit and then nobody else having one. I've done that before to a party and was so awkward all night because of it.
What job?

A party is not a job interview. Don't confuse them.

At a job interview you are the center of attention, and you should be dressed like it. Unless you are interviewing for an entry level, service/maintenance job, wear a suit.

If you truly feel uncomfortable in a suit, practice wearing it. Wear it around he house for a couple of days, then run a few errands while wearing it. Your feelings of self-consciousness will quickly disappear.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:37 AM

460 posts, read 981,768 times
I will impress more with a fitted dress shirt and snazzy tie. It is about the fit and the quality of fabric. Cost for dress shirt and tie -easily over 200.

A tailored shirt for me might go for 800 bucks or higher. And I live in a more casually dressed environment. If you are in the east coast, always opt for the suit.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:32 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:

A business interview is not a party. You're looking to make a good impression in order to get a job, not to get laid. You are much better off being overdressed than underdressed. You won't lose any points for being overdressed, but you certainly are likely to lose some for being underdressed.

Whether or not anyone else has a suit on is beside the point. In many companies, business casual is the order of the day, and I have been to may interviews (on both sides of the tables) where the candidate is in a suit and tie and the interviewers are in slacks and a dress shirt (no jacket, no tie). That doesn't matter.

If you walk into an office for a job interview (assuming this is a white collar position / company) wearing jeans and "dress sneakers", you've already shot yourself in the foot.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:35 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
In a serious job interview with a real company, a tie is not going to be what makes one candidate stand out from another.
Which part of "all things being equal" don't you people understand?

If there are equal products on a shelve; same quantity, quality, and price - most people will go for the one with the best packaging. Looking life every other drone out there is not a way to be remembered.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:46 PM

545 posts, read 1,484,306 times
Quote:

Without knowing more about the company and job, it's a little hard to give advice. But I'd highly advise against the jeans and sneakers. Very few companies (at least in most parts of the country) let you wear jeans to work to start with and, if they do, it's one day a week. If you want to be more casual, I'd go with a nice pair of dark khakis and a dress shirt at least, ideally with a tie. Even that is pushing it though. It's always safer to overdress. How badly do you want this job if you can't even put a suit on for a few hours?

I'm in IT and always wear a suit to interview, no matter what. My current place of employment is very casual. I could wear jeans and a T-shirt to work every day if I wanted to and I knew that going in, but I still wore a suit to the interview. Navy or black suit, blue or white shirt, polished shoes and matching belt, and a nice looking tie. Most interviews are less than an hour. I wait 'til I get there to put the jacket and tie on and take them off and button down the shirt when I get out to the car. No big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search