Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2013, 02:57 PM

81 posts, read 110,722 times

Advertisements

Short story: we're an NYC family thinking of moving to Milwaukee or San Francisco. I have a lot of good experience that should be valuable when we move elsewhere. (See my other posts for more background.)

Right now I'm deep in the process for a job with an old-line, established Milwaukee company that may be a good fit for our family. We like it there and jobs rarely come around in that town in my line of work. I'm going out there in the next week or so to kick the tires and meet the team. If I like this company and think there's a good future there, we're moving to Milwaukee.

About two years ago, a growing and progressive employer in SF offered me a job. They loved me, I loved them and it would have been a great fit. I turned it down because I got my wife pregnant and we didn't want to move...now the job is open again. High cost of living and commuting challenges, but a great fit. I did not burn a bridge at all. Now that same job is open again as is a second role that would be equally suitable.

If I call the SF job people and express interest, they will want to move quickly. Because I turned the job down last time, I feel that if I call them, I will need to be ready to go out there, interview, and possibly take the job on the spot. It's been on their job board for about a month, and I suspect they're getting some interest. So I feel like there's not a lot of time to waste on my end if I'm interested.

That said, I want to give the MKE job a fair look before deciding to move the whole family to the west coast. It may be our last chance to move to MKE for a while, maybe ever. That should be resolved in the next couple of weeks.

I really, really want to talk to the SF people and tell them I'm interested. However, I've held off because I don't want to look like a jackass by being very excited and then possibly turning them down a second time if the MKE job really is a good fit.

The companies are totally different, from products to culture to location. Pros and cons both ways. But I know the SF people are not going to want to dawdle because they've been down this road with me once already.

So, question: Is there a way that I can graciously express interest and put myself in the running for the SF job while waiting to see the Milwaukee opportunity through to the end of the interview process?

What do you HR people or recruiters think?

Last edited by Renton13; 09-05-2013 at 03:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search