U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 08:24 AM

13,040 posts, read 15,385,717 times

Advertisements

I am currently self employed, but there is one facility that - if I have to get a job - I would like to work for. So when I see a position that I am qualified for, I apply. I applied for one in the summer of 2012 and was interviewed, but didn't get the job.

Now I have applied for six positions in the last three months. The first two, the status of the application changed pretty quickly. First it said it had been reviewed by a recruiter, and then pretty quickly another change that said "Thank you for your interest...you have not been selected." Yet one of those positions is still showing up so apparently it hasn't been filled.

The third and fourth positions I applied for, one in mid-August and the other about two weeks ago, have remained with the initial status change of "your application will be reviewed shortly by a recruiter." That status has not changed at all since then. The first one I applied for over a month ago, and it still hasn't been reviewed by a recruiter?

So I sent an email last week asking about the status of the mid-August application and noting that it hadn't been reviewed by a recruiter. I got no response.

Three days ago I applied for another position, and the status of that one has already changed to say it has been reviewed by a recruiter and they will contact me if I am selected for an interview.

So what's up with the two that haven't even been reviewed by a recruiter?

I am qualified for all the positions I have applied for! It's a little disconcerting because all my life I have literally gotten every job I have ever applied for. Now I have been self employed for 21 years and everything has changed. Am I over qualified? Is it my age (56)? Did they not like me when I was interviewed last summer (the interview seemed to go well)? Is my self employment seen as a threat, like maybe I won't want to work for someone else and may leave and start another business? Is hiring just different now than it used to be?

I'm not going to email/ask again about the two positions that the status hasn't changed on because I don't want to be considered a pest, but I would really like to know why an application would sit there not reviewed by a recruiter for so long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 08:59 AM

2,633 posts, read 5,514,088 times
It could be a few of things that jump to mind:

1. Position is "frozen" - budget constraints, change in org chart, etc. has caused them to pause the process.

2. Hiring period hasn't closed yet. A month seems to be a really long time to collect applications, but who knows.

3. Idiot HR rep left the posting up, or is flat-out not doing their job (I've had this happen to me as a hiring manager).

Old 09-21-2013, 01:45 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,465,525 times
It might have something to do with the volume of applications for the position.

4 job openings, 400 applications: Teachers struggle to find jobs in tough Delaware County market - Region - Main Line Media News

New Hull pub The Red Sails, Brighton Street, sees hundreds apply for 62 jobs | This is Hull and East Riding

Schools coping with last-minute teacher vacancies

Hundreds of Applicants Seek SEPTA Police Jobs | NBC 10 Philadelphia

Old 09-21-2013, 02:13 PM

7,478 posts, read 5,787,167 times
- Too many applicants, so they don't bother to read most of them.

- Job already closed for various reasons.

- "Fake job" posting 1 = they are just trolling for resumes.

- "Fake job" posting 2 = job already given to internal candidate and the job was just posted to keep Legal happy.

- "Fake job" posting 3 = post the jobs, hire nobody, claim that they "can't find workers," and then hire cheap visa workers or send the jobs to China.

- Insane job qualifications + automated resume filters = nobody gets past the filters so HR doesn't have to review any applications.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:04 PM

Thanks for the input, all who answered.

When I interviewed last summer, the recruiter did tell me that they had posted on entry level job and they had so many applicants that they "pulled the job back" is how he put it. I am not sure how we got on the subject or why he told me that, and I wasn't applying for an entry level job. But his point was they are overwhelmed with applicants and it sounds like they didn't hire anyone. I'm not an HR person so I admit I don't understand - but if you post a job and get too many applicants why would you then not hire anyone? You ran the ad so you must have needed someone, right? I don't get it.

The jobs I applied for, I can see how all the things you mention could come into play. It sure is frustrating to see my applications for the two jobs I most would like to have not even looked at. :\

Old 09-21-2013, 04:42 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,769,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Thanks for the input, all who answered.

When I interviewed last summer, the recruiter did tell me that they had posted on entry level job and they had so many applicants that they "pulled the job back" is how he put it. I am not sure how we got on the subject or why he told me that, and I wasn't applying for an entry level job. But his point was they are overwhelmed with applicants and it sounds like they didn't hire anyone. I'm not an HR person so I admit I don't understand - but if you post a job and get too many applicants why would you then not hire anyone? You ran the ad so you must have needed someone, right? I don't get it.

The jobs I applied for, I can see how all the things you mention could come into play. It sure is frustrating to see my applications for the two jobs I most would like to have not even looked at. :\
They probably wanted to increase the job requirements or make them much more specific before re-posting. Or perhaps some major requirement was missing from the original ad, leaving the application pool flawed? Someone in HR probably screwed up the original ad...

If you post a job that has very few requirements in the ad and get 500 applications, it might make sense to repost with tougher requirements in hopes of getting 50 ultra-qualified applications (rather than weeding through 500 so-so applications). It's more efficient.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:44 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,769 posts, read 54,408,375 times
With the number of applicants we get, sometimes we will interview a manageable number of best and hope one is what we are looking for, but not reject the rest
in case we don't like any of them and decide to interview more. With over 100 applicants there may be 30-40 qualified but we would not interview that many if we don't have to. If we do expand the number of interviews it could easily take 6 weeks. Most of the time, you would have to be in the top 15-20 to get an interview and if so, would hear from us withing a week or two of the closing date.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:00 PM

8,976 posts, read 8,099,396 times
Quote:
How do you know they have not been reviewed? It appears that you were not a person they want.

As you said, for one had so many applicants that they were overwhelmed. To review that many applications can take weeks.

Modern recruiting by a company of any size, the majority of the applications are not reviewed by a recruiter. The are reviewed by a computer to weed out all but the absolute perfect matches, that are then interviewed.

Most are starting to take their applications over the Internet, or have a data entry clerk enter them into the computer. The computer is set up to check for any problems, that will prevent you from getting the job. Next it checks for education, experience, and background. If your application does not fit their needs, you are rejected. Some also check your twitter and facebook postings, which can get you rejected based on your postings.

By the time the computer has passed you as a possible, you may out of 500 applicants be one of maybe 10 that are selected for an interview.

Recruiting is no longer a matter of each application being reviewed by a HR recruiter. In today's market in many parts of the country, there are so many applications that it is impossible for them to any longer do the evaluation by hand. We are in the computer age, and computers are what select the ones for an interview.

I know how this works, as I have daughter that is head of IT at the main offices of a large international corporation. I know this is how it is set up for her corporation as she set it up for them. The HR department loves it. The company loves it as it saves hiring a lot of people to review applications and weed out the right applicant. They are also happy, as the computer can review the applications better than a human, and they are hiring more qualified people as the computer does not get tired, and rejects and selects those to be interviewed on an impersonal basis.

My daughters latest addition to the program, is that it sends out immediate automatic rejection letters by email to those that are not going to be interviewed. A lot of middle to large companies have not started to do this yet, so it leaves people like you hanging. As to telling you that your application has not been reviewed yet is standard operating procedure for many companies. They don't have the time for their people to go to the trouble to even pull up records on people who email or especially call. Due to legal possibilities, it is safer for the company to do it this way.

We are in a time, when there are lots of people applying for the good jobs out there, and the companies are finding modern ways to handle the situation and letting computers reject any person that does not fit their exact desire for employees. If you pass the computer evaluation, you in nearly every case will at least have a phone interview.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
How do you know they have not been reviewed? It appears that you were not a person they want.

As you said, for one had so many applicants that they were overwhelmed. To review that many applications can take weeks.

Modern recruiting by a company of any size, the majority of the applications are not reviewed by a recruiter. The are reviewed by a computer to weed out all but the absolute perfect matches, that are then interviewed.

Most are starting to take their applications over the Internet, or have a data entry clerk enter them into the computer. The computer is set up to check for any problems, that will prevent you from getting the job. Next it checks for education, experience, and background. If your application does not fit their needs, you are rejected. Some also check your twitter and facebook postings, which can get you rejected based on your postings.

By the time the computer has passed you as a possible, you may out of 500 applicants be one of maybe 10 that are selected for an interview.

Recruiting is no longer a matter of each application being reviewed by a HR recruiter. In today's market in many parts of the country, there are so many applications that it is impossible for them to any longer do the evaluation by hand. We are in the computer age, and computers are what select the ones for an interview.

I know how this works, as I have daughter that is head of IT at the main offices of a large international corporation. I know this is how it is set up for her corporation as she set it up for them. The HR department loves it. The company loves it as it saves hiring a lot of people to review applications and weed out the right applicant. They are also happy, as the computer can review the applications better than a human, and they are hiring more qualified people as the computer does not get tired, and rejects and selects those to be interviewed on an impersonal basis.

My daughters latest addition to the program, is that it sends out immediate automatic rejection letters by email to those that are not going to be interviewed. A lot of middle to large companies have not started to do this yet, so it leaves people like you hanging. As to telling you that your application has not been reviewed yet is standard operating procedure for many companies. They don't have the time for their people to go to the trouble to even pull up records on people who email or especially call. Due to legal possibilities, it is safer for the company to do it this way.

We are in a time, when there are lots of people applying for the good jobs out there, and the companies are finding modern ways to handle the situation and letting computers reject any person that does not fit their exact desire for employees. If you pass the computer evaluation, you in nearly every case will at least have a phone interview.
It is an internet application. I know they were not reviewed because the status of the application is updated online. The first step is that the application has been received and will be reviewed by a recruiter. The next step is the application is reviewed by the recruiter and they will contact you if you are selected for an interview. It always follows the same process. But for these two particular jobs, the status never changed from the first status - which is that the application has been received and will be reviewed shortly by a recruiter.

Every other job I have applied for at this facility, the application has been reviewed by a recruiter with a day or so of applying. But for these two particular jobs, the status has not changed at all. My application was received and will be reviewed by a recruiter - and that's as far as it went and where it has stayed.

Old 09-22-2013, 01:38 AM

11,262 posts, read 8,421,299 times
Preselection is always a possibility. Unfair but true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or