Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 01:02 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
It would be nice if I could just say I needed "personal time" but unfortunately, the managers want us to be more specific. A while back, I had to get approval from the next manager up to use sick time to have a flat tire replaced. Since then, I was advised by coworkers to use medical related excuses from then on.

Anyways, I just came out of the interview. I feel like it went pretty well, but I'll try not to get my hopes up.
Fingers crossed for you! I don't think it's right you have to give detailed excuses! None of their business!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 01:08 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,725,695 times
What the hell? Do you have to give a reason for taking personal leave? Just say you have to take care of something in the morning and you will be in after lunch. Take the leave you have earned and don't apologize for god's sake.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:54 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,772,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
It would be nice if I could just say I needed "personal time" but unfortunately, the managers want us to be more specific. A while back, I had to get approval from the next manager up to use sick time to have a flat tire replaced. Since then, I was advised by coworkers to use medical related excuses from then on.

Anyways, I just came out of the interview. I feel like it went pretty well, but I'll try not to get my hopes up.

That sucks. What excuse did you end up giving?

Enjoy a nice Mexican dinner and some adult beverages tonight. Then when you tell them you suffered Montezuma's revenge it will be the truth!

Old 09-25-2013, 02:39 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,822,612 times
A family member's illness works well. Several years ago I used that one when I had an interview lined up in order to escape the tyrant I was working for at the time. My father had a heart attack earlier in the year and I told him I needed to take him to for a followup appointment where he wasn't allowed to drive himself.

Treating his employees like garbage led him to be paranoid (and rightfully so). So, when anyone out for any reason he would find some reason/excuse to call them that day because he was afraid they were looking for another job. I made sure I went over my parents' house after the interview and when my boss called my cell, I didn't answer. I immediately called him back from my parents' house so he'd see it on the caller ID and told him my cell phone was almost dead and I forgot my charger.

Best of luck with the job change.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:46 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
I consult for my clients in many ways. One of them involves interviewing potential employees.

The first question I ask if they're currently employed and it's within normal business hours?

"So how did you get time off from your employer before coming to this interview today?"

It is a foolproof test of someone's character. If they claim to have taken a personal day, no sweat. If they have lied and said they took a sick day, they are removed from the list of candidates. Because if someone will tell a small lie, they most certainly will tell a big one.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:12 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I consult for my clients in many ways. One of them involves interviewing potential employees.

The first question I ask if they're currently employed and it's within normal business hours?

"So how did you get time off from your employer before coming to this interview today?"

It is a foolproof test of someone's character. If they claim to have taken a personal day, no sweat. If they have lied and said they took a sick day, they are removed from the list of candidates. Because if someone will tell a small lie, they most certainly will tell a big one.
How is that foolproof? They could say they took a personal day. And be lying to you.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:14 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I don't approve of going around lying, but in this case a lie IS necessary. Should OP tell the truth to his boss that he's going on another job interview? What if the boss says okay then, just leave now since you're looking elsewhere? What if OP doesn't get the other job? Now he's unemployed. Most people don't tell their current employer when they're looking elsewhere. Everyone knows this.
I know, right? I've been in this situation myself, and my policy is always "be as vague as possible, so you're not technically LYING." Others have suggested something like "personal issues," and my favorite "I have an appointment that can't be scheduled any other time." Unless you work for REALLY nosy employers, they aren't going to question the unspecific appointment - as that could be anything from a colonoscopy to an IRS audit, and in most cases none of their business (as long as your job allows for personal leave time).

I was late for work today because my cat was sick all night, and we both didn't get to sleep until 8am... so when I called in about 30 minutes before my shift, I just said "I'm held up and will be a little late." I ended up telling my colleague the full story when I arrived, but since I'm in charge here, I have the luxury of being able to do that. LOL. For interviews, however, you do have to be more careful! I had an interview a couple of weeks ago, but since it was for internal transfer, they not only knew but actually PAID me for that time. Nice.

Anyway, I'd just go with the vaguest reason possible so you can't even be accused of lying. An interview is both a personal matter and an appointment, right?? So it's the truth!

Old 09-25-2013, 03:17 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
How is that foolproof? They could say they took a personal day. And be lying to you.
Excellent point... and since that isn't something they can ask your employer (at least not here in CA), there is NO way for them to know. It is a good test of stupidity, however, since only a moron would actually say "I lied and called in sick."

Old 09-25-2013, 03:18 PM

769 posts, read 976,771 times
I just usually say I have some personal things to do. I also will try to make interviews during lunch or late afternoon.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:19 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
You'd think. But the question always catches them off guard anyway. And I'm pretty good at smoking out a liar. Here are some of the boneheaded responses I've had to that question:

1) I told them I was sick.
2) I told them my car was in the shop.
3) I just left without telling them anything.
4) I told them I had to wait for the cable guy at home.

Uh huh. To me, there are actually valid things you can say to your current employer, ones that demonstrate a truthful personality:

1) I told them I was taking a long lunch to do some personal business.
2) I told them I needed to leave early so I worked through lunch.
3) I took a personal day.

And to the person whose boss was demanding to know the reason for a personal day, simply say, 'I'm taking a personal day.' No explanation should be necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search