Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 05:22 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,940,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
What the hell? Do you have to give a reason for taking personal leave? Just say you have to take care of something in the morning and you will be in after lunch. Take the leave you have earned and don't apologize for god's sake.
To clarify, they wanted a more specific excuse for me to use paid sick leave. I can certainly take "personal time" without having to give specifics, but it'll be unpaid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 05:50 PM

6,129 posts, read 7,961,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Excellent point... and since that isn't something they can ask your employer (at least not here in CA), there is NO way for them to know. It is a good test of stupidity, however, since only a moron would actually say "I lied and called in sick."
Now that I'd consider foolproof!

Old 09-25-2013, 05:58 PM

6,129 posts, read 7,961,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You'd think. But the question always catches them off guard anyway. And I'm pretty good at smoking out a liar. Here are some of the boneheaded responses I've had to that question:

1) I told them I was sick.
2) I told them my car was in the shop.
3) I just left without telling them anything.
4) I told them I had to wait for the cable guy at home.

Uh huh. To me, there are actually valid things you can say to your current employer, ones that demonstrate a truthful personality:

1) I told them I was taking a long lunch to do some personal business.
2) I told them I needed to leave early so I worked through lunch.
3) I took a personal day.

And to the person whose boss was demanding to know the reason for a personal day, simply say, 'I'm taking a personal day.' No explanation should be necessary.
That's a question I was always totally prepared to answer in good way. But I've never used a sick day for an interview. Vacation days, personal days, comp days, yes. I think I have been asked it, but not in a long time. I have volunteered the info, though. On more than one occasion when interviews have run long and I was asked how much time I had, I have answered that I took a personal or vacation day and therefor had the rest of the day free.

I think as an interviewer I may have asked it once, because it fit into the conversation. Otherwise I wouldn't usually ask.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:07 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,446,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
The interview is at 10:00 tomorrow. I could say it's a doctor's appointment, but I don't want to re-use that same reason if I have to take yet more time off for another interview.
If the interview is at 10am - I would say you were having car trouble. That way you can show up after you had your car '"fixed." Good luck.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:12 PM

2,845 posts, read 5,999,978 times
I've always said "doctor's appointment" or something and just take half a day.

It's not the worst thing in the world to use a few hours of your leave for a job interview. I'd rather do that than be honest and get problems from my boss later for being mad that I was looking for work!

Old 09-25-2013, 08:17 PM

13,441 posts, read 15,404,185 times
Just say that you're coming in late? My job doesn't ask about the "why"... if I have an appointment/errand/whatever I just tell the people I work with that I am coming in late and either make up the time or take it out of my leave time. When I was interviewing, I always had them done in the morning or in the evening. The interviewers knew that I had a job and they worked around it.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:18 PM

23 posts, read 39,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
To clarify, they wanted a more specific excuse for me to use paid sick leave. I can certainly take "personal time" without having to give specifics, but it'll be unpaid.
It's interesting to see some of the comments about telling a white lie or stating that you dont have to give them any detail. i.e. it's none of their business. Everyone's job situation is different, so Im glad the OP clarified that they needed to be more specific or would need to take unpaid leave. Geez...

Old 09-25-2013, 08:43 PM

13,441 posts, read 15,404,185 times
All of the jobs I've worked never asked for a reason for why I would take leave. I just took it. So of course I would draw from my own experience. If the OP can take unpaid time at will, then so be it. If the job is worth it to you but you don't want to jeopardize your relationship with your current job, then you'll have to work within the parameters.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:48 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,340,883 times
I've never had a job where I had to lie to my manager. I would simply say "I have something I need to take care of; is it okay if I come in around noon (or leave earlier)." If its someone I'm chatty with they might ask is everything okay. I think most jobs realize that occasionally people have to rely on other businesses/services that only operate during the same time they're scheduled to be at work; i.e. cable/phone companies installing service, furniture/appliances being delivered, dentist/doctor appointments (better use that insurance you pay for), repairman, mechanic, etc.

Either way it goes I wouldn't lie. Especially if it meant i would be getting sick pay for not really being sick. Things like that always come back around and ONE person can mess up a good thing for everybody, especially in smaller companies.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:25 PM

10,306 posts, read 13,829,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughbay View Post
It is kind of funny how the strict 9-to-5 jobs trap you in such a way that the only way to ever get out is to completely destroy yourself financially and quit without having anything else lined up.

Maybe look for a line of work that isn't so, let's say, lame.
Aren't we a bit over dramatic? To the OP, just say you aren't feeling well. Keep it simple and believable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search