Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 08:30 AM
TNQ TNQ started this thread

10 posts, read 29,255 times

Advertisements

I'm 21 and still don't have any genuine work experience which is making finding a job extremely difficult. I had a job a long time ago but the place closed down. It was the only place I was comfotable with when dealing with the public. Now I am a nervous wreck that avoids going to interviews.

I do some temp work but I seriously need a steady part-time job. I am not qualfied to do anything but their must be something I can do, right?

I am trying to put on my big- girl undies but don't know what is wrong with me. I think i may need help but don't know where to get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 08:38 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
What kind of job did you have before?

See if the local library has "Page" jobs open. They do things like putting books back on the shelves, so very little public contact, and are almost always part time. Here they are part time but with benefits and pay about $15.hour. For interviewing experience is the the only way to get used to them enough to help your nerves. Apply for any jobs you can and force yourself to do the interviews. If you know anyone that is or has a friend that is a hiring manager, you can ask them to do some mock interviews with you so you become more comfortable. It doesn't help as much if you know the person.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:44 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,183,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNQ View Post
I am a nervous wreck that avoids going to interviews.

I think i may need help but don't know where to get it.

I don't mean to sound nasty or harsh but most mentally healthy people don't become nervous wrecks at job interviews. A little nervous maybe, but not so nervous that it actually prevents you from going.

Perhaps you should talk to your doctor?

Old 10-01-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
I don't mean to sound nasty or harsh but most mentally healthy people don't become nervous wrecks at job interviews. A little nervous maybe, but not so nervous that it actually prevents you from going.

Perhaps you should talk to your doctor?
I don't think I have a doctor or family doctor..I stopped going at around age 11 or 12 I think. but i understand what your saying i am looking at a place i can go to right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
What kind of job did you have before?

See if the local library has "Page" jobs open. They do things like putting books back on the shelves, so very little public contact, and are almost always part time. Here they are part time but with benefits and pay about $15.hour. For interviewing experience is the the only way to get used to them enough to help your nerves. Apply for any jobs you can and force yourself to do the interviews. If you know anyone that is or has a friend that is a hiring manager, you can ask them to do some mock interviews with you so you become more comfortable. It doesn't help as much if you know the person.
It was a small corner store that my cousin rented out to sell candy she bought with food stamps I think. It closed down quickly though. I didn't get paid much, the cash register didn't work correctly, and wasn't alot of customers but I enjoyed the quitness and candy. I also enjoy the temp work I do sometimes at a warehouse, their wasn't alot of people there and the work was mind numbingly boring but it allowed my mind to wander.

Y'know I actually missed going to the library so I am going to check that out thanks. er...well I see on the job board is the only jobs that are aviable are something I am not qualifed for but I will ask the one near my house.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:23 AM

I am so ashamed that I am the only member in the family with problems like this. Every one of my sisters is so calm and cool talking on the phone. And they managed to get any job they want but I was aways the last one for everything. I don't know why interviews terrify me nor when it grew to become this bad. My father just tells me that I need to look these "white people" in the eye and not let them see you squirm because they wan't you to fail but I always end up feeling so inferior and intimidated.

Hopefully, I can shake this soon.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:17 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
I was a nervious wreck at my first couple interviews, then I learned to stay calm and got accused of being unenthusiastic so you really can't win at interview when a bunch of HR hacks are psychoanalyzing you.

I wish I had better advice but I really can't stand interviews either. It is like a cross between a psychology session with a really dopey psychologist and a police interrogation.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:54 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,436,826 times
I am naturally a more nervous/anxious person than your Average Joe, so I can feel your pain regarding the interview process. I hate, hate, HATE talking about myself and my accomplishments. What I do to alleviate some of this anxiety is take control of the situation. What I mean is that I take charge in the interview. I let them ask me a few questions, and then I fire back a few follow up questions to them. This helps to take the focus and pressure completely off of me. Also, try to remain as upbeat and friendly as possible. Maybe tell a little joke to relieve some of the pressure. The hardest interviews are when you have a tough crowd, and no one even cracks a smile at your attempt at humor. For the most part, though, people will respond in a positive manner.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:02 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
If you can't shake this, then look up therapists in your area. I've seen ads here for help with fear of public speaking, and it sounds like this would fall under that same umbrella as far as getting help. Find a community clinic that charges based on income.

It's something you can unlearn (the fear) but it's possible you may need some assistance.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:08 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNQ View Post
I am so ashamed that I am the only member in the family with problems like this. Every one of my sisters is so calm and cool talking on the phone. And they managed to get any job they want but I was aways the last one for everything. I don't know why interviews terrify me nor when it grew to become this bad. My father just tells me that I need to look these "white people" in the eye and not let them see you squirm because they wan't you to fail but I always end up feeling so inferior and intimidated.

Hopefully, I can shake this soon.
First of all you shouldn't feel ashamed. Practice interviewing with family and friends. And most definitely see a therapist.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:14 PM

769 posts, read 976,609 times
You just aren't experienced dealing with the public and thinking quickly on your feet. Start just talking to people in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search