Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 03:46 PM

827 posts, read 1,089,597 times

Advertisements

People still use resume paper? I thought that died along with 56k modems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 08:30 PM

128 posts, read 233,278 times
You don't have to make a special trip to the office supply store to get "better" paper. I've seen nice paper at Target and Walmart for maybe $6 a package.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:57 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,759,968 times
Plain cheap paper is fine if you want a job at McDonald's.

If you want a more professional job, better quality paper to demonstrate you think like a professional. Especially if you are to mail in or leave a resume at the front desk. It makes your resume stand out, over the ones that are using cheap paper.

Do not use just a general cover every job type resume, except for minimum wage type jobs. Make one individually, to show how you would fit that particular job as to your qualifications, etc. General cover every type of job resumes end up in the circular file, and are not considered if there are numerous resumes.

Some on this thread, seem to think it is not important to have a few copies of your resume with you when you apply or at the interview. Wrong. You never know which person in your interview chain may ask for a copy. Impress them with how professional your resume looks, designed specifically for that position you are interviewing for, and the quality of the paper to match your resume.

You will stand out, over the other applicants. I have seen a lot of bad resumes and can tell you when I was in the corporate world hiring well over a hundred people over the years, this is what you look for when hiring. You are looking for the person that takes a little more trouble to sell themselves. Cheap paper, says you are not really really trying for that job.

And dress appropriate for a job one or two steps above what you are applying for. It helps evaluate you with the idea you may be promoted someday. Look professional.

Never try to get the interviewer to tell you what they can do for you to get you to take the job. Let them try to determine if you are good enough for the job. I have seen people right at the start of the interview asking about the benefits they would get, such as salary, chance for promotion, benefits, etc. The interviewer will tell you, after they have determined how you would fit into their company. Then you can determine if you want to take the job. When you seem more interested in what they can do for you, than you are in what you can do for them, your interview is really over and just marking time till they can tell you the interview is over and no job will be offered.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:53 AM

26 posts, read 57,579 times
I didn't realize paper was still an issue with resumes. (I don't mean this to be snide--I'm older, but thought no one cared much about paper in the digital age.) When I have used paper resumes in the past ten years, I've just used printer paper, but we tend to use good quality paper. Most people seem to print out resumes received digitally, so I would think that would be all right. It is always a good idea to bring copies of the resume, whatever paper you use. But I wouldn't stress about the paper itself unless you are using really low-end printer paper. If it were me, I would concentrate more on knowing specifics about the prospective employer, so I could ask good questions. Just my opinion.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:01 AM

830 posts, read 1,537,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
I don't think someone is out of touch in the least bit, but instead that they have their crap together and are prepared regardless of whether I am or not, especially if they know something about my company through their research.
When I questioned whether it would be seen as out of touch, I was referring only to delivering the initial copy by hand and on special resume paper, not being prepared with a printed copy (which I said I always do.) Of course applicants should know about the company! That should be a given but has no connection to sending resumes on resume paper.

Many companies will just discard the paper copy after scanning it, anyway, if that is the first copy you've submitted.

And puh-lease, to another above poster. I am a professional with an advanced degree. The type of paper will not make a difference! Even if it is noticed, it's not going to make or break anything. I agree the DESIGN matters. I have hired people and am shocked at how terrible many resumes look. It can make the applicant look unprofessional and make me question their judgment and skills. But the PAPER doesn't matter anymore. (For the record I would also advise against mailing resumes or bringing them to the front desk, unless explicitly requested in the application instructions.)

Old 10-03-2013, 10:03 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,629,416 times
I would use a good quality resume paper. Copy paper is a no no in my book.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:48 PM

763 posts, read 2,604,397 times
In the 90's, I had matching paper and envelopes, Classic Laid bond in my signature color (at the time), which I felt would be memorable when they opened it. THEN, it was the thing to do to send resumes on nice, impressive paper. It was called giving the hiring manager's eyes a break from the "sea of white" they see come in. As funny as it seems now, it worked then. My resume always got attention and I would always get calls for interviews and subsequent offers. I guess it gives the impression that you care enough about your skills and experience to present them in the best possible way.

However, any resume I've mailed (U.S. Mail), has gone on very nice, ivory bond paper mailed in a privacy envelope. Also, the extras I take with me to interviews are printed on the same ivory bond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search