U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 01:19 PM

595 posts, read 2,235,155 times

Advertisements

When bringing a hard copy of your resume to interviews or to hand out to prospective employers or contacts, do you put it on harder stock resume paper or do you just put it on regular white printer paper? I've always put my resume on good quality resume paper but I'm wondering if people even bother with this anymore.

I was asked to bring my resume to my Orthodontic appointment tomorrow and I am out of resume paper. I'm new to the state and the Ortho office and when they called to remind me of the appointment they asked if I would be interested in giving them a resume as they are currently looking for assistants. I'm a Hygienist but not licensed here yet so this could be my chance to find some part time work (and network) while I'm waiting to take my classes and boards.

Should I go buy some resume paper and print those bad boys up or do I just print them out on some printer paper? What do you all do?

Last edited by RDH35; 10-01-2013 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: forgot punctuation...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 09:29 PM

273 posts, read 416,227 times
I haven't had to put my resume on "resume" paper since the 90s. Nowadays, you send it digitally and the interviewer as a few copies available already... or they'll just print a copy out while you're there. I suppose putting it on resume paper will leave an impression as not many people do that anymore.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:44 PM

667 posts, read 1,047,234 times
I'm not sure if it will leave a good impression, or an impression "this guy/gal is out of touch," not unlike the impression which mailing your resume or bringing it in in person also leaves. (I say, having experience in hiring. But since they asked... or did they maybe have the expectation you'd e-mail it?) I, too, used to always mail out resumes on nice paper. Yes, this was back in the '90s when I first entered the workforce. Now the resume is always provided digitally, but I print out copies to bring to interviews, even though most people will already have a printed copy. In that case I use regular paper. In your case I wouldn't go out of my way to get nice paper.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:55 AM

3,768 posts, read 4,636,223 times
I always brought a few hard copies of my resume with me to interviews, and used resume paper. I also always got compliments on having it with me as often times the people interviewing me were not always prepared.

Fact is even now hiring people I remember those that hand me a fresh hard copy of their resume when they come into speak with me, I don't think someone is out of touch in the least bit, but instead that they have their crap together and are prepared regardless of whether I am or not, especially if they know something about my company through their research.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:34 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,422,658 times
LOL This is so topical... I was cleaning out my office closet and found 200 pages of resume paper from 10 years ago. When am I ever going to use this again? Never! I suppose this is the circumstance... bringing a few copies for any future in-person interviews

Old 10-02-2013, 08:10 AM

595 posts, read 2,235,155 times
So why is it considered out of touch to bring in a hard copy resume? Even if the hiring manager has a digital and hard copy, why would it be looked down upon to have this hard copy handed to them in an interview?

Granted, the Dental Field is a different animal quite frankly. Most of these offices are considered small businesses and so therefore aren't going to operate like the corporate/Tech culture that many of the posters here are used to. It's interesting to me how different industries are in regards to hiring practices.

I did buy resume paper and have printed them off and placed them in a nice envelope to deliver to my contact at the office. Even if it's "looked down" on, I would feel chintzy handing them a regular piece of printer paper. I guess I just feel it goes that little bit extra....

Old 10-02-2013, 08:57 AM

6,795 posts, read 11,763,458 times
Who cares.. focus your mental energy on optimizing the message on your resume instead.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:02 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,145,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDH35 View Post
So why is it considered out of touch to bring in a hard copy resume? Even if the hiring manager has a digital and hard copy, why would it be looked down upon to have this hard copy handed to them in an interview?

It isn't. You always bring copies of your resume to the interview. Especially since all too often they don't bring a copy and it looks like they've not even reviewed it.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:51 AM

408 posts, read 322,190 times
My wife's been an HR professional for 20+ years, and while she might be a bit old and out of touch, she still thinks that it shows forethought and preparation on a candidate's part to bring copies of a rez with them. Her recommendation is to use good-quality resume paper (nothing in color or with patterns on it, just good-quality white rez paper) and either a single staple or paperclip.

It doesn't happen often, but if the interview goes well and you get shown around, you might get asked for a copy by someone other than the HR rep or hiring authority. It's happened to me, and having 3-5 spare copies ready to hand out demonstrates that you're prepared, serious and eager.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:00 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,064,078 times
I always use plain white resume paper. I always place the resume in a matching folder. I always bring 3-5 of these to the interview. I have been hired for the majority of jobs I interviewed for.

If someone thinks being prepared makes me look out of touch I don't want to work for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search