Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 01:02 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
I don't understand this part...why wouldn't you interview and find out why they are seeking the position? People change careers all the time. I am a CPA and I know a colleague who was extremely qualified, had years of experience, and decided that she didn't like accounting anymore...she quit and became a vet tech. She took what amounted to a $70,000 pay cut to start in something new...

I have friends who left lucrative careers to pursue religious studies, writing, music, etc....why would it be any different for social services?
Yes, people might decide to go into social services to help people, but no one would chose this particular position, as it doesn't have a lot of direct contact with the people being served. It's not a "passion" position. Again, the person used to be a surgeon, and now is inexplicably not a surgeon anymore. I'm in healthcare compliance, so that screams "red flag" to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 01:02 PM

991 posts, read 1,110,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
  • No cover letter. For many applicants, where the online application says "Cover Letter" it says "no cover letter submitted." Sorry, if you can't even do a brief cover letter online (a couple of lines about why you're applying or why I'd want to meet you), it tells me you're not very interested or engaged in pursuing this position, or that you're maybe careless or discourteous.
  • Resume not very readable. These online sites let applicants attach their resume. Most are in a Word Doc, and are nicely readable. But some people attach a "data" file, with the contents of their resume seemingly typed in something that looks like DOS from the 80s, with no formatting or spacing. If you can't attach a normal Word Doc, how can you perform even the minimal computer skills this position requires?
I will also say, that for these two reasons, I REFUSE to submit resumes anymore to online systems. If I want to look for a new position, I contact a recruiter I know that helps CPAs and he can pitch my resume to other companies. Those online systems are terrible in my experience. Often, when I tried to upload a word document or .PDF file, they would mangle my resume into some horrible looking thing upon conversion. Oftentimes, it is not the submitter's error...it is the crappy system that converts free text to structured data fields.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
what do you consider a human services related field? To me, the "degree in X, or related field" is always subjective. I guess I don't understand why education is not considered a "human services related field" as I have always considered it to be one. You're providing a service to the public and most teachers who are "good teachers" are also very good therapists themselves by helping children with social issues, homelife, goal setting. I can see why elementary school education majors can see themselves as "or related field".

Approved Human Services Field Degree List

I guess I would say to this: I am sorry that you found it annoying that unqualified people applied for your position; however, on the flip side, many job posting these days are requiring additional requirements that aren't necessary for the position. They just require it because they can require it in this competitive market. My last job required a bachelors in finance or accounting AND five years of experience. The job could have been done by anyone with a high school diploma and probably years ago those were the requirements.
We are heavily regulated by our state, and they are strict about what counts as a related degree. Yes, I agree that Education is a valuable degree to have and work in my field (they learn about how people learn, after all) but our licensing bodies don't accept it, there's nothing we can do. Same for Sociology, Criminal Justice, Human Resources. If the applicant had any of the experience mentioned, they would be familiar with our state's degree guidelines for DHS-regulated providers. We aren't requiring any extra things that are not actually required for the job. The requirements are the State's and therefore out of our hands.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlesseden View Post
sounds like you are the problem not the applicants
Thanks, you're so cute!

Old 10-02-2013, 01:29 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,662 times
Ty for the advice, it is nice to hear insight from the other side . My question though is the entry level jobs requiring experience , how far are you willing to stretch? Lets say you have an entry level job that wants 2-3 years of experience, would a 4 degree and an internship be considered competitive for the position or is the 2-3 years of exp a nonnegotiable factor?

Old 10-02-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
I will also say, that for these two reasons, I REFUSE to submit resumes anymore to online systems. If I want to look for a new position, I contact a recruiter I know that helps CPAs and he can pitch my resume to other companies. Those online systems are terrible in my experience. Often, when I tried to upload a word document or .PDF file, they would mangle my resume into some horrible looking thing upon conversion. Oftentimes, it is not the submitter's error...it is the crappy system that converts free text to structured data fields.
That's the excuse I decided on for the resumes that come in with 5 different crazy fonts. I gave the applicant the benefit of the doubt on those.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:42 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,734,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
We are heavily regulated by our state, and they are strict about what counts as a related degree. Yes, I agree that Education is a valuable degree to have and work in my field (they learn about how people learn, after all) but our licensing bodies don't accept it, there's nothing we can do. Same for Sociology, Criminal Justice, Human Resources. If the applicant had any of the experience mentioned, they would be familiar with our state's degree guidelines for DHS-regulated providers. We aren't requiring any extra things that are not actually required for the job. The requirements are the State's and therefore out of our hands.
I guess I can understand that there are state requirements of your hands; however, I guess I just had a problem with the statement that felt like you were criticizing certain graduates who have applied. If I didn't know the state counts something as a related degree, I would assume education, sociology, criminal justice, etc. would be related degrees. It also says degree OR 4 years experience, not degree AND 4 years experience as a requirement. In that case, I can understand how people with these degrees think they may be qualified. In the private sector, it isn't as strictly regulated what "related degree means" so a degree in "communications, marketing, or related degree" could mean english, history, poli sci, too. In those circumstances, I don't think they're trying to waste your time.... they just don't know.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Ty for the advice, it is nice to hear insight from the other side . My question though is the entry level jobs requiring experience , how far are you willing to stretch? Lets say you have an entry level job that wants 2-3 years of experience, would a 4 degree and an internship be considered competitive for the position or is the 2-3 years of exp a nonnegotiable factor?
It's about a half-step above "entry level, if "entry level" would mean "no experience required." We are expecting that people who are currently working as residential counselors in NJ-licensed programs would apply.

Our entry level position is a residential counselor, and we hire for a lot of those every month. That requires a 4 year (related) degree, OR 4 years direct human services residential experience, or a combination (1 year college plus 3 years experience is good).

If it's a direct care position, we have NO leeway in the hiring requirements, as our licensing bodies will cite us on any hire that they disagree with (we often fight these, like when they suddenly decided to stop accepting Education as a related degree). It's not about us being "willing" to stretch, but about what won't jeopardize our license to stay open.

The only area where I've been successful in getting the State licensing people to budge, is personal experience taking care of a person with serious mental illness or developmental disabilities, like a family member.

So just keep in mind that if you are applying for positions in a highly-regulated field (healthcare, human services, public education, for example) it requirements aren't likely up to the employer, but to the state and/or federal agencies that license or credential them. It's easy to tell which applicants have been in the field or not. Those who have been in this field, but whose background might not be exact matches, clearly explain that in their cover letters "In addition to my 3 years work experience in the field, I cared for my mother, who had schizophrenia, for 8 years, managing her medications and helping her with activities of daily living..."

I sure am glad I don't have to hire very often! I have to track every single one of these inappropriate applicants on a log to prove we didn't discard them for illegally discriminatory reasons.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:50 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,516,077 times
I don't submit a cover letter if its not required and I have nothing in particular to add that would be relevant. Cover letters are optional and best left for actual explanations and I prefer not to waste YOUR time with the generic whoopdeedoo I'm the best employee cover letter.

But as for your "overqualified" applicants, if I were them I would submit a cover letter, to explain why I wanted a lower level position. Perhaps wanting to cut back in hours or stress and I've saved all the money I need for retirement.

Perhaps some of the people out of the area are re-locating to your area. However I would also submit a cover letter saying that.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:59 PM

3,983 posts, read 5,014,494 times
For whatever reason you'd want the job, wouldn't you submit a cover letter identifying why YOU'RE the best fit? I was 50/50 on cover letters in my last job hunt...however, this time around, I'm for it 100%. I want to explain a couple of things that may not be evident on my resume. For example, I'm an English major but I work in property tax. It doesn't seem to fit and yet I make it work pretty well. I'd like to reassure the employer/HM that I actually am a fit for their position...if not the best one!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search