Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 03:17 PM

408 posts, read 392,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Sorry if I do not sugar coat everything, are you new to forums?
I don't believe that comment was necessary, and now that you've outed yourself as being outside of both HR and recruiting, it's pretty clear that your criticism of both myself and my wife was both baseless and spurious. And far from having a basis to make the assertions you did, you've admitted that you're a department manager rather than a recruiter or an HR professional -- so you're certainly in no position to make claims about how "the hiring process" works. You know how *your* hiring process works, and that appears to be as far as your experience and knowledge goes.

Quote:
No, I am not an internal recruiter, I am a department manager; but I know a lot about the process
Uh huh.

Quote:
Wow, so his wife (not him) was in HR, big deal.
You know, when you posted that, you copied and pasted the portion where I pointed out that one of my wife's previous positions in HR had been that of recruiting director for an IT firm. Given that your formal recruiting experience is zero, then yes, my wife's experience *is* a big deal.

Quote:
Again, I am not a recruiter.
No, you certainly aren't.

Now that I know that you don't actually have any recruiting experience at all, I'm going to go back and reread your earlier posts just for grins. Have a nice weekend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 03:25 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,104,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
I send my resume electronically as soon as I see the ad that I'm qualified for. Regardless of the time, night or day, off it goes.
The key thing is not to delay. When I was out of work I sent resumes all day long. You never know who might think you are suitable, and who else might be applying (or not applying) against you. And there is nothing wrong with sending your resume every day, either. If you keep seeing the same position over and over, keep sending your resume. You want them to know you exist. If it's Friday, I can guarantee they're not looking at your resume from Monday.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:28 PM

595 posts, read 2,698,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legin View Post
One of the wackier threads (I also liked the "what kind of paper should I print my resume on" thread). I'll have to agree with the "nobody cares" replies.

Intrigued, I checked out my email history to see what time I was firing these emails out the last time I was looking for work (five years ago). I usually sent them during working hours. It surely makes no difference, though. A lot of these clowns who never replied are no longer in business. That makes me happy.
HEY! I wrote that thread and it's a legit question! Especially since it seemed split down the middle! LOL!

As to when to apply, I apply whenever I see the job ad. That could be in the morning, it could be 11pm before I go to bed. I just replied to a job ad from Craigslist just now and it's almost 2:30 in the afternoon here in WA. I'm sure in most larger corporations where your application is processed by computer, it's not going to make much of a difference, but I can see if your application or resume is received by a live, warm blooded human being, it could very well make a difference. Apply when you want to apply!

Old 10-04-2013, 03:33 PM

Also, Boxus and TunaMeowt...do you two need a time out? Boxus, you seem kind of cranky. Are you hungry? Eat a snickers. ;-) It's Friday folks. Go have a beer, enjoy your evening and chill. This is a message board, we aren't reinventing the wheel.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:59 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,750,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Meowt View Post
I don't believe that comment was necessary, and now that you've outed yourself as being outside of both HR and recruiting, it's pretty clear that your criticism of both myself and my wife was both baseless and spurious. And far from having a basis to make the assertions you did, you've admitted that you're a department manager rather than a recruiter or an HR professional -- so you're certainly in no position to make claims about how "the hiring process" works. You know how *your* hiring process works, and that appears to be as far as your experience and knowledge goes.

Uh huh.

You know, when you posted that, you copied and pasted the portion where I pointed out that one of my wife's previous positions in HR had been that of recruiting director for an IT firm. Given that your formal recruiting experience is zero, then yes, my wife's experience *is* a big deal.

No, you certainly aren't.

Now that I know that you don't actually have any recruiting experience at all, I'm going to go back and reread your earlier posts just for grins. Have a nice weekend!
Nice and all, but you are the one stating that the OP should send their resume in at a certain time, which is 100% incorrect, as many other posters on here have also stated. You are passing BS info to someone who is looking for a job or another job.

So essentially, you were stating your wife was lazy and clueless as a recruiter, and only looked at the top few; and you think this made her great at her job and a person who should be used for advice?

Also, show me whee the OP ever stated about recruiters, the OP mentioned apply to specific positions, and never once responded to my posts regarding recruiters. So basically, the OP thinks by sending a resume at nine in the morning, he will be one of the first read, which is 100% incorrect as many other posters have stated as well.

I have already stated the reason this is incorrect, if your wife does not do it this way, then she was not doing her job correctly in my opinion. No responsible recruiter is just going to gaze at a few and toss the rest. Also, given the OP stated they were not even dealing with recruiters only (not ever company has specific recruiters you know, it is actually only a minority few companies that do), the whole debate over what a recruiter does is moot anyway.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDH35 View Post
Also, Boxus and TunaMeowt...do you two need a time out? Boxus, you seem kind of cranky. Are you hungry? Eat a snickers. ;-) It's Friday folks. Go have a beer, enjoy your evening and chill. This is a message board, we aren't reinventing the wheel.
How you figure I am cranky? Someone here is giving poor advice to someone trying to find a job, and I (along with other posters) are giving correct advice.

Right now, there is the OP who thinks he is going to get some edge by sending a resume in at nine in the morning, about every poster here has stated it makes no difference. The OP is looking basically for anyone to confirm what he is doing is right, so he finds the only post that does, and refutes every other one. Same with the cover letter, he happens to pick the shortest cover letter on Earth as the best one, never mind even knowing what is standard in his industry, or what about the dozens of other (and longer/more difficult) ones out there.

The OP in my opinion is just looking to make things easy, and looking for justification to do so. Sorry, but some effort is needed to get employed, or find other employment.

Even better, other posters and I have even stated that we are involved in the hiring process, right now, not years ago or use to be, but now; yet the OP sort of ignores all of this as our posts do not match what the OP is wanting to hear.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:29 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,002,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewC7 View Post
most people probably aren't as thorough as you though...You have to assume the hiring manager is lazy. Especially when applying for positions likely to have over 100 applicants.
The position does have close to 100 applicants. I looked at the 14 people who met minimum qualifications. I did not even glance at the 70-something that did not meet the minimums. HR filtered them out for me and all I saw was a count of submissions.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
How you figure I am cranky? Someone here is giving poor advice to someone trying to find a job, and I (along with other posters) are giving correct advice.

Right now, there is the OP who thinks he is going to get some edge by sending a resume in at nine in the morning, about every poster here has stated it makes no difference. The OP is looking basically for anyone to confirm what he is doing is right, so he finds the only post that does, and refutes every other one. Same with the cover letter, he happens to pick the shortest cover letter on Earth as the best one, never mind even knowing what is standard in his industry, or what about the dozens of other (and longer/more difficult) ones out there.

The OP in my opinion is just looking to make things easy, and looking for justification to do so. Sorry, but some effort is needed to get employed, or find other employment.

Even better, other posters and I have even stated that we are involved in the hiring process, right now, not years ago or use to be, but now; yet the OP sort of ignores all of this as our posts do not match what the OP is wanting to hear.

*sigh* I was just trying to get you to lighten up a bit. My mistake.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:35 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,002,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewC7 View Post
was your cover letter long & elaborate? or short and to the point?

I used to write long and elaborate letters but lately I've been favoring short and strait, I feel like it's easier on both the myself and HR;

I am writing in response to the '55555 – GIS Analyst' position offered via Indeed.com on October 2, 2013.

At ***** University, I acquired exemplary knowledge of theories, principals and methods pertaining to the use of Geographic Information Systems and cartographic production. With my immense geospatial skill-set, I can quickly and efficiently adapt to fit the needs of any objective.

My attached resume will provide more details about my qualifications and I would welcome an opportunity to further explain why I am a good fit for this position.

I appreciate your time and consideration.
Ouch. If that is your cover letter you shouldn't bother. It starts with an error (you should have used principles) and tells me nothing. I know you are applying, I know what job, I know you have attached a résumé, and any résumé is going to include education. All that you have done is show me that you have no ability to convey relevant info.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDH35 View Post
*sigh* I was just trying to get you to lighten up a bit. My mistake.
No mistake about it, I am very lightened up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search