U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 08:03 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,237,576 times

Advertisements

As the title says...I suspect I'll be giving my notice within the next week. I have talked to my potential new employer, we've talked salary, benefits and they have one more reference to call. Next step is drug test for me and acceptance of an official offer.

Now comes my situation and question. While nothing is guaranteed, I am certain my current employer will make a counter offer. Prior track record with other employees giving notice, plus the fact that I'm the only one in my group who does what I do, leads me to believe that a counter offer will be coming.

My terms are, obviously, a promotion and more pay. My question is, I'd like to hear from others who've accepted a counter-offer. Wise? Unwise? Has the relationship between you and the employer changed? I haven't decided if I'd even accept a counter offer, even if it meets my terms, but I'd rather be prepared than caught off guard and accept or decline without understanding all of the repercussions.

Edited to add...I like my current employer, my boss and my co-workers, so there is no issue there. You sometimes reach a point in your career path where the next door may not open up if you sit around and wait for it. I have taken on more work and will continue to take on more high-level work. I just want my pay and title to reflect that.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 08:34 AM

4,677 posts, read 4,590,732 times
This is very useful.
Why You Shouldn't Take a Counteroffer - On Careers (usnews.com)

Especially pay attention to #6. You are going to hurt your career by taking a counter-offer after accepting an official offer.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:39 AM

408 posts, read 304,202 times
I'll give you my personal opinion on it, but this certainly isn't a rule. And others may well disagree.

My feeling is that once you've accepted a position elsewhere and committed to it, you should follow through and take the new job. IMO, the right thing to do is to give at least the minimum notice, give it both verbally and in writing, and then continue to perform your duties in a professional manner up to and including your last day. If you leave on good terms, then you'll be eligible for rehire in the future (which could be useful if the new job doesn't work out).

But there's a darker component to my reasoning. My sense is that once you've announced you're leaving, you've sort of broken your loyalty to the company and have self-identified as someone who wants to or intends to leave. Even if your current employer makes an effort to keep you, they may still think of you as someone who is eyeing the door, which could negatively impact your chances of promotion in the future, or of retention in the event of staff cuts.

So if you stay, you could be marked (again, this is just my personal opinion). But worse than that; you'd also be backing out of a commitment to your new employer -- so you'd be risking some reputational damage in *both* places.

So I'd recommend following through in leaving for the new job, being professional with and for both employers, but also keeping your contacts at your old job just in case they wanted to hire you back in the future.

For more pay and with a nice promotion, of course.

Good luck!

Old 10-04-2013, 08:46 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,387 posts, read 50,582,032 times
Someone once said "there are a lot of indispensable people in the cemetery." My boss has made it clear that if anyone threatens to quit she keeps a resignation form in her desk and will hand it to them. Despite that, we do have a policy that with CEO approval we can bypass the salary schedule to match an offer to keep a critical employee. Tuna makes good points, but if your employer is willing to not only match but beat the offer, significantly, then I would consider staying.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:58 AM

3,260 posts, read 4,505,593 times
I think it really depends on how things are with your current employer.

My husband, for example, has a great job. He was not looking to leave but was being bombarded by recruiters because the company he works for is known to attract top talent. He went on a couple interviews and was offered substantially more money. He brougth that offer to his boss, explained that he had not been actively looking but because he had friends with the company that gave him the offer he was curious. His company matched the offer and he stayed there. That was about 3 years ago and he has continued to recieve raises each year since then.

Now, I'm in the same boat as the OP right now. But, in my case, my current position isn't so rosy. Even if I can get them to give me substantially more money, I'm just not that happy here. It's probably not worth even trying for a counter offer. Originally, that was my plan, but I don't know, I guess I've become much more sold on the places I've interviewed with and feel like I should just make the move instead.

At the end of the day, how is it that you ended up interviewing somewhere else? If you made a deliberate decision to update your resume and apply for other jobs, then you probably should just take a new position.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:04 AM

2,250 posts, read 1,978,763 times
Do not take the counter offer. Things will not be the same, and trust me when they need to cut staff you will be one of the firsts because they probably believe you will leave at some point anyway. You never ever take a counteroffer, I am sorry. This to me is the like cheating on your spouse. Things will not be the same.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:48 AM

944 posts, read 769,359 times
No, never take the counter offer. Your current employer will now look at you in a different light and might even treat you differently. Also, never go back to your old job either unless you are really, really desperate.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:56 AM

14,294 posts, read 20,544,645 times
I am with the other posters on this, don't take the counter offer. You are bored and were looking for a reason. You will have that 'will he leave soon?' mark on you.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:56 AM

9,345 posts, read 15,786,024 times
You must have interviewed for a reason. For the reasons listed above, I think accepting a counter offer is generally a bad idea. If your boss thinks you are worth the extra X dollars per year, why isn't he paying you that already?

Old 10-04-2013, 10:15 AM

2,250 posts, read 1,978,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
You must have interviewed for a reason. For the reasons listed above, I think accepting a counter offer is generally a bad idea. If your boss thinks you are worth the extra X dollars per year, why isn't he paying you that already?
Right. I was being underpaid vastly in my former job. When I put in my two weeks, they made me a counter offer and wanted to offer me more than where I am currently working. And I thought back and was like "Why weren't they paying me that before?!" Basically they always had the money to pay you, but not that you might leave, the money magically appears? Never accept that counter offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search