U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 09:47 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,304,089 times

Advertisements

In a previous post I talked about my active participation in a job hunting group put on for business executives who are job hunting.

In one of our job hunting classes, the Instructor, who also works as a Director of Human Resources in charge of Recruiting and Staffing at a large company, gave us a number of terrible resumes his company has received to show us what not to do. (The names were changed to protect the innocent.) He said that the number of JUST TERRIBLELY WRITTEN RESUMES HE GETS IS SHOCKING!

These were some highly skilled and educated people who did just a terrible job at selling themselves.

With all the information out there on how to write a resume and desperate editors who will help you with your resume for a very small fee, why would anyone in a professional job submit a terrible resume?
(I can understand submitting an average resume, but a terrible one?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 09:58 AM

667 posts, read 1,048,788 times
I always wonder. I have seen quite a few resumes for professional positions which require advanced degrees, and the resumes (the actual resumes... not the terribly-formatted ones people are sometimes required to submit online) look like the applicant lacks basic word processing skills. Applicants will use giant clown font, or a mixture of fonts which look terrible together... inconsistent formatting... cartoonish clip art, and of course, poor spelling and grammar.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:07 PM

2,759 posts, read 3,423,197 times
The terrible resumes eliminate some competition. That's good news for job seekers with great resumes.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:19 AM

416 posts, read 739,956 times
I cringe when seeing terrible resumes. I was interviewing for an AVP/Senior Management position, and I had one resume cross my desk that had spelling errors, terrible grammar, bizarre formatting, and no flow. And the person had an advanced degree, so I was very, very confused as to how that happened.

Suggestion for everyone: if the company allows you to upload a file for the resume (vs. just cut and paste), save your resume as PDF. It'll guarantee the formatting and design stays as you intended it.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:43 AM

12,675 posts, read 14,014,541 times
One of my HS friends was whining about how he can't find a job. He showed me his linked in page. Awful... Stated he wanted to go into politics... But acquiring some sort of executive position would do in a pinch

Don't know what's wrong with people today.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:48 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,138,131 times
Maybe they just want another unemployment benefit extension.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
One of my HS friends was whining about how he can't find a job. He showed me his linked in page. Awful... Stated he wanted to go into politics... But acquiring some sort of executive position would do in a pinch

Don't know what's wrong with people today.
Public schools / NEA.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:00 AM

12,675 posts, read 14,014,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Public schools / NEA.
In all fairness, he graduated from a reputable college. Obviously didn't learn much there though.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
In all fairness, he graduated from a reputable college. Obviously didn't learn much there though.
Colleges these days are: "Pay your fee, get your 'C', stay all day, get an 'A'. ".

Old 10-10-2013, 05:50 AM

701 posts, read 1,326,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXBC View Post
Suggestion for everyone: if the company allows you to upload a file for the resume (vs. just cut and paste), save your resume as PDF. It'll guarantee the formatting and design stays as you intended it.
This, times 5. I've been doing this since I got to graduate school in 1998 (was lucky to have Acrobat Pro back them), and it's always served me well. As someone who occasionally hires now, I appreciate seeing a properly formatted resume in pdf as opposed to a Word document with weird spacing, fonts, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or