Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 07:25 AM

752 posts, read 1,164,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyDavis View Post
That's a problem? That you have to work?
Yep because my work mean walking and bending and extending and thinking and concentrating (if you want keep all fingers) and solving problems every second. Whatsoever problem I have to solve alone and if project do not move forward no one will pay me nothing. It is real job and is extremely tuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 08:16 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times
OP - maybe I missed something, but other than ESL work experience and a BA in history, do you have any education or ESL academic credits?

Old 10-13-2013, 12:04 PM

196 posts, read 318,879 times
Depends on where you are. My son, who has 13 years experience in the finance field but no degree, has been looking since last December. Those small jobs won't hire him because he is "overqualified" or "too old" (late 40's), and the others won't even give him an interview because he has no degree. So he's stuck. He has two sons and needs to make enough to support them and pay rent and car and insurance. So what do you do? Can't even get a McDonalds job (over qualified)

Old 10-13-2013, 12:14 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
I would think teaching English in Asia would be a real eye catcher on a resume to a school district. If you just want to get a job to get started might I suggest heading to a resort area. Most jobs are seasonal. It would give you a chance to be in the U.S. looking for that job.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:43 PM

398 posts, read 1,365,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc89 View Post
After graduating from college I spent two years in Southeast Asia teaching English; one year to young children and another year to students and professionals. I will be returning to the United States this coming January and will obviously want to start working as soon as possible. My dream job would be teaching history (I was a history major in college) ,but I do understand that teaching jobs, are very hard to get at this point, especially without any prior experience.
What credentials do you need to teach english overseas in SE Asia?
I'm thinking almost anyone who can speak and write "decent" english can do that especially in 3rd world countries.

Also, some responses assume you are bi-lingual... but many people teaching english overseas only teach english in english and do not speak the native languages of their students. Can you imagine teaching french or chinese to Amercian students that way? Poor overseas students often have to learn some english on their own or have already been taught some english by a native teacher (or if the class is provided with a local teacher's asst) before a foreigner can teach them.

My point is that saying you taught english in Southeast Asia doesn't indicate any professional qualifications to teach anything in the U.S. You should specify your credentials.

Quote:
This being said I am an incredibly flexible guy and would be willing to work almost any job any where in the US. My only requirement would be that I make at least $25,000- $30,000 a year.

I'm just worried because I have heard horror stories from my friends back in the United States saying they have been unable to find a job that pays them enough to move out of their parents' house. However, on the same note, many of my friends have not been willing to move out of their comfort zone (New York, Tri-State area), which I believe has limited their options a great deal. So how bad is the job market for individuals like myself who are willing to a accept almost any salary, work any job, and move anywhere in the US? I will be twenty five years old by the time I return to the US if that is any help. Thanks!
This is very contradicting.
You claim that you are willing to work almost any job in the U.S. and will accept almost any salary or work any job... but you need at least $25,000 - 30,000 a year to accept an entry level (requiring 0 - little experience) job?

Your salary requirement means you are unwilling to work at any fast food restaurants like Mcdonalds or Quiznos or Starbucks, unwilling to work at Department stores and retail outlets like Walmart & Best Buy or Supermarkets & Grocery stores, unwilling to work factory or low wage labor jobs... etc. etc... so how does that make you flexible?

For someone like yourself, who is just starting out with no working experience in the U.S., you are less flexible than your american friends who accepted minimum wage jobs and are working even though they still live in their parents house.

Last edited by raymond2; 10-13-2013 at 01:52 PM..

Old 10-13-2013, 04:49 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,448,948 times
Quote:
After graduating from college I spent two years in Southeast Asia teaching English; one year to young children and another year to students and professionals. I will be returning to the United States this coming January and will obviously want to start working as soon as possible. My dream job would be teaching history (I was a history major in college) ,but I do understand that teaching jobs, are very hard to get at this point, especially without any prior experience. This being said I am an incredibly flexible guy and would be willing to work almost any job any where in the US. My only requirement would be that I make at least $25,000- $30,000 a year.

I'm just worried because I have heard horror stories from my friends back in the United States saying they have been unable to find a job that pays them enough to move out of their parents' house. However, on the same note, many of my friends have not been willing to move out of their comfort zone (New York, Tri-State area), which I believe has limited their options a great deal. So how bad is the job market for individuals like myself who are willing to a accept almost any salary, work any job, and move anywhere in the US? I will be twenty five years old by the time I return to the US if that is any help. Thanks!
I'm fairly confident most states require a license to teach - and that usually requires at the absolute minimum a certificate but most often a BS/BA in education. Sounds like you would need to pursue a masters in education to be able to teach history.

I have several friends who spent a few years after undergrad teaching English in Asia...but they don't have teaching qualifications and would never be hired as teachers here in the States. As it is, both meant for that experience to bolster themselves for graduate (masters and PhD programs) school, not to be teachers.

You really need to research what kinds of jobs history majors can apply their skills to. If you can find a job requiring the college education, 20-30k is attainable. However you might have an issue if you're up against other grads who actually have background in a field (i.e I bet a science major would get hired as a lab assistant before a history major, even though the job only requires a high school education). Speaking of that...lab assistant/phlebotomist jobs might be worth looking into. There are always positions open (even better that you're willing to move) and if you can luck into a full time position you could make around $25k, with benefits usually. Keep in mind, too, that it might be common for employers to just be hiring part time employees....everyone is doing the dance around being required to provide healthcare for their employees.

I can understand needing a job, any job, to be paying the bills. But at 25 you should be considering long term career goals. If you would really like to pursue teaching, go back to school now. Bottom line, you need some direction. Being flexible and willing to move is a plus, but it still certainly won't be easy.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:31 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,221 times
Quote:
After graduating from college I spent two years in Southeast Asia teaching English; one year to young children and another year to students and professionals. I will be returning to the United States this coming January and will obviously want to start working as soon as possible. My dream job would be teaching history (I was a history major in college) ,but I do understand that teaching jobs, are very hard to get at this point, especially without any prior experience. This being said I am an incredibly flexible guy and would be willing to work almost any job any where in the US. My only requirement would be that I make at least $25,000- $30,000 a year.

Trying to find history teaching jobs is a nightmare right now. Everyone wants to teach history. Math, science, and special ed is a different story. Do you have a teacher certification? Most districts require it and won't care that you have teaching experience if you don't have one. NCLB has caused districts to be strict about hiring only teachers with the proper certification.

With a degree in history, it limits your prospects. My friend has a degree in history and can't find a job even though he was willing to move. He mooches off people now and refuses to take a low paying job to get experience. A degree in history doesn't prepare you for a specific career. But...you could look into the military as college grads can make decent money as an officer. Not to mention, get job training in the process which employers like.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:44 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
There is no one, generic answer to this question. It depends on a number of factors, including (but not limited to) one's field, experience, education, location, skills and experience.

I have known a fair number of people who have sought out new jobs in the last few years - some were looking to make a change, some were out of work. I know people who spent the better part of 9 months to a year trying to get a new position, and I also know some who were able to land a new job within a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search