Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 10:00 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times

Advertisements

Today with a company of any size, and in an area of high unemployment they will get hundreds to thousands of applications for any decent job.

Today, they have you submit a resume application by computer, and most do not ask your race. Then the computer, will following guidelines programmed in for the particular job, will eliminate all but the most qualified dozen or so applications. The computer will email rejection letters to the rest. Only the most perfect for the job will be even called for a telephone interview and if you pass that they will interview you in person.

If you are not perfectly qualified for good jobs today, you are going to be rejected by a computer and the color of your skin, the color of your hair, how tall you are, or how good looking you are, will have nothing to do with your being hired
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 06:48 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
There was an experiment I read about some time ago, wherein someone sent out a false resume with a stereotypical ebonic name (such as Shaneeka or something), and sent an identical resume out to the same companies with a stereotypical Caucasian name such as Sarah. The 'Caucasian name' resume received a lot more call backs than the other resume, despite showing the same qualifications and experience.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:14 AM

265 posts, read 409,602 times
so far this thread has been a treasure trove of typical "discrimination" is dead in america responses.
we got the person saying to never mind if discrimination exist because 'look at me' i made it and that's all that matters.
we got the usual white male isn't being helped equally because we had to meet a quota of ethnics and women.
we got the system is flawlessly, faceless, and never filled with human beings who bring their own biases.
and eventually we'll get the person who denies the few studies that actually prove discrimination is still alive and well.

newsflash: discrimination isn't going away anytime soon. whether it'f screwing with you in the job search you'll rarely ever be able to tell for certain unless the person is so bloddy obvious it's like being punched in the face. laugh + cry. hahahaha...sniff

Old 10-20-2013, 09:15 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Today with a company of any size, and in an area of high unemployment they will get hundreds to thousands of applications for any decent job.

Today, they have you submit a resume application by computer, and most do not ask your race. Then the computer, will following guidelines programmed in for the particular job, will eliminate all but the most qualified dozen or so applications. The computer will email rejection letters to the rest. Only the most perfect for the job will be even called for a telephone interview and if you pass that they will interview you in person.

If you are not perfectly qualified for good jobs today, you are going to be rejected by a computer and the color of your skin, the color of your hair, how tall you are, or how good looking you are, will have nothing to do with your being hired
Precisely.

It's not just race. Some examples of this BS from when I was out of work include when I was told that I am "too old" to hire (I'm in my mid-30's applying for engineering position in an office environment, so that's nonsense) and another time when I was told "we don't hire the unemployed." So, yeah - companies will come up with whatever ludicrous reasons they can to avoid hiring people. Then, they'll turn around and claim a "lack of qualified people" and blame the unemployed for this situation. It's sick and will lead to a huge, impoverished underclass of "unemployable" people who can't find jobs through no fault of their own.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:38 PM

709 posts, read 1,130,358 times
Moderator cut: snip

The main question is why would you avoid hiring people who can help you make money based on stupid things like race, age, sexual orientation, etc ?

I used the article as an example of obvious discrimination that doesn't seem to have any logic behind it. I didn't post this because I'm unemployed and looking for pity. If I was unemployed I'd spend my time looking for a job.. not making threads on City Data.

Also.. I've seen CEO's and Chief Executives of companies make spelling errors. Human error is something we all do. Spelling and grammar nazi's just show how ignorant they are.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 10-20-2013 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: removed orphaned portion (quoted post deleted)

Old 10-20-2013, 02:18 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,501,251 times
Spelling errors make one look careless. Yes, they are human and we all make them. However, people who want to come across as smart, competent and meticulous usually proof what they write before allowing the public to see it. To choose not to do so is what shows ignorance, as well as laziness. The article that you quoted was chock full of spelling and grammatical errors. If the author demonstrated that same level of carelessness on her profile/resume, I'm not surprised the offers weren't flowing in by the dozen.

Old 10-20-2013, 02:52 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
There is just no excuse for spelling errors on resumes. Smaller grammatical errors I can see but not spelling errors.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:31 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collateral View Post
Even today people are still favored for jobs for reasons outside of their qualifications, personality, work ethic and abilities.

Read this: Unemployed Black Woman Pretends to be White, Job Offers Suddenly Skyrocket | Techyville

What I don't understand is why companies are willing to miss out on highly qualified people who would HELP THEM MAKE MONEY because those people look different from the person they see in the mirror. I would hire anyone who I believed had the skills to help my business!

I thought money was the bottom line in modern times. No?

Assuming this type of marginalization will never end.. what do you think will be the end result? Considering the shifting demographics of the U.S. will this just get worse? Will we end up like Mexico where the rich are strongly divided from the poor with walls, guard dogs and gates?
Discrimination will always be around. It will quietly be conducted behind closed doors.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
This kind of article is another case of someone using one incident to try to prove a point, and cannot be generalized to all or even most employers. All of the places I have worked asked for a form that indicates race, but it is used for compiling data, and is never seen by the recruiters in HR or the hiring managers. We have no idea what the person's race is until/unless we invite them for an interview and meet them. All applications & resumes must be done through our website but there is no computer review, the hiring manager reviews and accepts or rejects them and those accepted are checked by HR to make sure they meet the minimum qualifications.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:40 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collateral View Post
Moderator cut: snip

The main question is why would you avoid hiring people who can help you make money based on stupid things like race, age, sexual orientation, etc ?

Because some of them have their own personal bias. Even if they interview people of different races and ages they will pick the one that fits their agenda and personal bias. Not all, but some are that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search