Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 07:34 AM

12 posts, read 67,236 times

Advertisements

I'm a 19 year old that is looking for a job. I've been filling out online applications for a while now, but that strategy isn't really working well, since I only had 2 interviews in 3 months, and none of them lead to work. This week I am going to try pounding the pavement, but I an having trouble writing a resume to pound the pavement with. I intend to target restaurants at first (preferably a position as a dishwasher/busser), and I would like to know how I should tailor a resume for that. I have an AA, but that's about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 07:37 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,228 times
Are you in college? Have you done any work study? Volunteer work? Internships?

That's all valuable experience.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
Are you in college? Have you done any work study? Volunteer work? Internships?

That's all valuable experience.
Not, currently in college, I was hoping to work for a year or two to get money before transferring to a university outside my city. I have not held a job before, and I have not volunteered.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:27 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,228 times
In that case, I would start building up my resume with volunteer work and internships. Its hard to get jobs without experience.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:45 AM

I need a paid position ASAP to pay rent to parents, I thought entry-level jobs don't need experience. Besides, how do you find volunteer positions anyway?

Old 10-28-2013, 10:13 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnskilledWorker View Post
I'm a 19 year old that is looking for a job. I've been filling out online applications for a while now, but that strategy isn't really working well, since I only had 2 interviews in 3 months, and none of them lead to work. This week I am going to try pounding the pavement, but I an having trouble writing a resume to pound the pavement with. I intend to target restaurants at first (preferably a position as a dishwasher/busser), and I would like to know how I should tailor a resume for that. I have an AA, but that's about it.
Restaurants about the only business left were a person can enter with zero experience. I started as a dishwasher and over the course of sixteen years held practically every position. Most restaurants simply want to fill time slots. They really do not care what you do outside of work, or past experience as long as you can show up for your shift[s].

Since restaurants hire those with no experience, questionable legal histories, substance abuse issues, etc., they get tons and tons of resumes/applications. I would just keep trying and eventually something will pan out. Cold calls also work, too. I guaranty that all restaurants have at least one employee who is on his way out.

As for no experience, well, the fact of the matter is that you do have experience. I thought I had no experience at 19 until someone pointed out that I had to work for my allowance, and that was experience. My dad was self-employed and I occasionally gave him a hand, or I tagged along with my mother to help file papers, make copies, etc. in order to earn money for higher-priced items I could not afford through my allowance alone. As for the allowance, well, I had to do chores. If I didn't do the chores, I didn't get paid. Granted, I am from an older generation. I also mowed lawns and washed cars in the neighborhood. I imagine many parents these would not dare make their kids actually work for an allowance, likening it to some sort of indentured servitude.

The whole point of the work experience is to show that you are responsible, and can be responsible, in areas outside of your personal life. It is not so much about possessing any sort of specific skill-set, unless it is for a specialized position. Do you have siblings? Did you ever help them with homework, watch them while your parents were out? Help with the care of an aging grandparent? Anything?

Old 10-28-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Restaurants about the only business left were a person can enter with zero experience. I started as a dishwasher and over the course of sixteen years held practically every position. Most restaurants simply want to fill time slots. They really do not care what you do outside of work, or past experience as long as you can show up for your shift[s].

Since restaurants hire those with no experience, questionable legal histories, substance abuse issues, etc., they get tons and tons of resumes/applications. I would just keep trying and eventually something will pan out. Cold calls also work, too. I guaranty that all restaurants have at least one employee who is on his way out.

As for no experience, well, the fact of the matter is that you do have experience. I thought I had no experience at 19 until someone pointed out that I had to work for my allowance, and that was experience. My dad was self-employed and I occasionally gave him a hand, or I tagged along with my mother to help file papers, make copies, etc. in order to earn money for higher-priced items I could not afford through my allowance alone. As for the allowance, well, I had to do chores. If I didn't do the chores, I didn't get paid. Granted, I am from an older generation. I also mowed lawns and washed cars in the neighborhood. I imagine many parents these would not dare make their kids actually work for an allowance, likening it to some sort of indentured servitude.

The whole point of the work experience is to show that you are responsible, and can be responsible, in areas outside of your personal life. It is not so much about possessing any sort of specific skill-set, unless it is for a specialized position. Do you have siblings? Did you ever help them with homework, watch them while your parents were out? Help with the care of an aging grandparent? Anything?
I did wash dishes and clean the house for parents, have done garden maintenance, installed hurricane shutters, tutored people with math, washed cars, walls, and rooftops, assembled furniture, fixed machinery.

Unfortunately, I can't produce professional references, because I did everything for family.

Also unfortunately, is the lack of allowance. I don't have much to my name, hence my need to earn money to finish my degree.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:41 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
Quote:
I did wash dishes and clean the house for parents, have done garden maintenance, installed hurricane shutters, tutored people with math, washed cars, walls, and rooftops, assembled furniture, fixed machinery.

Unfortunately, I can't produce professional references, because I did everything for family.
No one really expects you to have references when applying for your first job, but having no references can hurt. You might not want to use your parents, but other family members are better than nothing as a last resort. Can you use a teacher? Coach? High school counselor?

Old 10-28-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
No one really expects you to have references when applying for your first job, but having no references can hurt. You might not want to use your parents, but other family members are better than nothing as a last resort. Can you use a teacher? Coach? High school counselor?
I spent life as a loner, pretty much. I didn't play any team sports, kept my mouth shut at school, don't know any people who would really remember me. I wish I knew a lot of things before I did all this, unfortunately, I didn't.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:04 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
I have an AA, but that's about it.
What's at AA? Do you mean an Associates of Arts degree? In which area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search