U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2013, 09:39 AM

3,768 posts, read 4,639,689 times

Advertisements

The last time I looked for a job I noticed a couple of companies advertising positions in a similar way, and am wondering if this is the new it way to sort through applicants? I am currently looking at having to hire a couple of temporary employees come tax season, and one may work into a long term full time position, but I do not have time to sort through hundreds of resumes for an entry level position, and to this point I have not come across many people looking for an entry level job like I will be hiring for. I may use this and would like to know what companies and job seekers/employees experience has been like in this process.
Quote:
Step 1: He doesn’t post a job; he posts the problems the prospective employee would solve.

My friend recognizes that there might be some really good candidates with the broad skills and experience he is looking for, but who are not currently working in his industry. So he writes a good backgrounder about his company, and their value proposition, drivers for growth, etc. Then he details exactly what this new employee would be working on, and what problems they would be expected to solve. He tries to get really specific about how the successful candidate will support the company’s efforts.

He details exactly what this new employee would be working on, and what problems they would be expected to solve.

Step 2: Ask candidates to answer some behavioral questions.

Since my friend is an engineer himself by both background and training, he likes process. He also likes things you can score empirically, as opposed to touchy, feely, subjective stuff. However, he has done a lot of research into behavioral questions and understands they can reveal both weaknesses and strengths if they are open-ended and not leading. He asks these types of questions:

Tell me about a time you lacked the skills or knowledge to complete an assignment.
What do you know about our business and industry?
Tell me about a time you tried to develop and implement a solution or fix, but it just didn’t work.
What is your favorite aspect of our business, and why?

Step 3: He promotes the positions, sets a deadline, sets up an email alias, and then has the materials sent directly to him
Step 1: He doesn’t post a job; he posts the problems the prospective employee would solve. - [/quote] Skip The Resumes And Traditional Job Postings For Your Next Hire(s) | Staffing Talk!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 09:45 AM

28,496 posts, read 62,167,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
I noticed a couple of companies advertising positions in a similar way...
He doesn’t post a job; he posts the problems the prospective employee would solve.
Want to be a salesman?

Old 11-02-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Want to be a salesman?
I have no interest in taking another job but have been in sales for a long time, I am already in mortgage loan origination, and own an accounting firm where I do most the the business development and sales.

My question, is whether people are finding this to be more common than it used to be, and whether the quality of employees is actually better than most are finding after sifting through hundreds of resumes for entry level type positions?

Old 11-02-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I ...have been in sales for a long time
My question, is whether people are finding this...
My observation is that the people who find/respond to this sort of text (and it's not new)
are sales oriented to begin with. It draws them in.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:06 PM

10,077 posts, read 14,022,562 times
Being in sales and a good problem solver sometimes HM's ask me these informally. I am happy to answer one or two to their satisfaction, but I also recognize when they are working me for free consulting. I don't do that.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
My observation is that the people who find/respond to this sort of text (and it's not new)
are sales oriented to begin with. It draws them in.
this blog is saying a company looking for project managers, developers, and engineers is using this technique as a way to sort through those who actually read the directions, and can sale themselves and their understanding of the job. Personally one of the jobs I applied for that had a similar listing was for an accounting firm, the other I do not remember, but I know it was within the last 4 years or so.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
this blog is saying a company looking for ... those who actually read the directions,
and can sale themselves and their understanding of the job.

Personally one of the jobs I applied for that had a similar listing was for an accounting firm...
Every type of business (even an accounting firm) needs rainmakers and wheeler-dealers.
And they need to prime that pump with new blood about every 10 years or so too.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,789 posts, read 54,455,776 times
We still have a traditional job description with requirements, preferences, knowledge, skills, abilities and educational requirements, as well as the salary range. The interview is used to determine their problem solving abilities, with good questions and possibly short sample work projects. I can go through 100 applications pretty quickly, because about half or more will not meet the minimum requirements. In fact, it's obvious that some people just send out the same resume to hundreds of companies without paying attention to the requirements and without tailoring the resume to the position.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:55 PM

211 posts, read 907,333 times
I think this "blog" you are referencing is over analyzing this entire process for part-time, entry-level candidates.

Why don't you simply go to a college and seek finance majors looking for work? It will eliminate the hundreds you may receive from an official online posting.

if you do want to hire someone at some point on a full-time basis, then going through piles of resumes comes with the territory. if care doesn't go into the process because one doesn't want to (or cannot) spend the time to do so, then you will find that the role will be a revolving door.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveburg View Post
I think this "blog" you are referencing is over analyzing this entire process for part-time, entry-level candidates.

Why don't you simply go to a college and seek finance majors looking for work? It will eliminate the hundreds you may receive from an official online posting.

if you do want to hire someone at some point on a full-time basis, then going through piles of resumes comes with the territory. if care doesn't go into the process because one doesn't want to (or cannot) spend the time to do so, then you will find that the role will be a revolving door.
I have hired college students the last 2 years, and the firm I worked for hired college students the previous 5 years while I was there, and out of the 16 or so college students that I either hired or that my boss hired at the previous place only 1 was worthwhile. Every student that we hired put the job at 4th or 5th on their priority list, while being secondary to their classes and school work is to be expected, and I even accept that trips back home to see the family meaning no weekend work is too be expected from some, but being behind their social life, their pets, their interviews for future jobs, one student even put us behind the animal shelter she volunteered at, it is out of hand. Plus do not even get me started on how many students seem to think that sorting through clients receipts and creating spreadsheets is beneath them, all but 1 of them all had the idea that being a college student meant they could skip the entry level stuff that comes in accounting for small businesses, yet many will lie and say they are available on saturdays, they have no problem sorting receipts, they love data entry, and they have no problem starting at the bottom.

It is also funny that right now I have 3 full time employees, and all 3 of them are good employees, yet I have not advertised 1 position, all have come either unsolicited or through referrals. I do not have a Human resources person who has nothing better to do than sort through a 1000 resumes, and honestly think that is one of the worst ways to find an employee, too many people lie on resumes, countless hours are spent sorting through them, then verifying the information, and interviewing many of them, all the while knowing that less than half of the people you hire will be with a company in a year, especially when you are interviewing for an entry level position such as a receptionist/ receipt sorter/ data entry, and you will more then likely not have a position to move up to in the next year. I went through the whole resume process for years when I had more mortgage company and even with the economy in great shape we would get several hundred resumes every time we advertised a position, I spent half my time hiring people and the other half training, keeping staff organized and productive, and taking care of the paperwork on the back end, you know actually running my business.

Fact is I am exploring many different means to attract new hires without all the crap of going through the resume process. I will find someone to work for me, but it will not include going to the college to recruit nor posting an ad anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search